The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So I have been using my M61N in my MD2 for my work light for a few weeks now. Really like the tint of it. At least I did at home.at work I can't stand it. It's driving me nuts maybe it's because I have always used the standard M61 cool white not sure but tomorrow I'm switching back. Going to use my M61T and see if I get that old feeling back.i tried the W and N flavors and I think it's that they just don't seem bright enough.And this is why I tried to not get involved with the whole tint game. ignorance is bliss 😄

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
tried the W and N flavors and I think it's that they just don't seem bright enough.And this is why I tried to not get involved with the whole tint game. ignorance is bliss [emoji1]

I'm with you. Sometimes it makes more sense to use a brighter light for a given task, but I fell in love with my 61n and now don't really want to use my "bluer" lights. I've been avoiding Nichias because I'm afraid it would ruin them all.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
So I have been using my M61N in my MD2 for my work light for a few weeks now. Really like the tint of it. At least I did at home.at work I can't stand it. It's driving me nuts maybe it's because I have always used the standard M61 cool white not sure but tomorrow I'm switching back. Going to use my M61T and see if I get that old feeling back.i tried the W and N flavors and I think it's that they just don't seem bright enough.And this is why I tried to not get involved with the whole tint game. ignorance is bliss 

I find the xp-g2 4000k too warm for my work as well, a lot depends on the ambient temp. Some 4000k i can get away with though, nichia, xhp50,xpl HI to name some. My preferred is 5000k, its kind of a happy medium for me. Not too warm or too cold. I can even use 6000k, just prefer a little easier on my eye when using close up. Save the 4k for home and outside use:)

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with you. Sometimes it makes more sense to use a brighter light for a given task, but I fell in love with my 61n and now don't really want to use my "bluer" lights. I've been avoiding Nichias because I'm afraid it would ruin them all.

I used to be a tint snob, but now I realize that I was using "warm" and "neutral" as a way to avoid getting "angry blue" lights. Now that manufacturers are mostly selling "cool white", "neutral white", and "warm white" as opposed to "blue-ish", "yellow/green-ish", or "orange-ish", I'm less picky. If given the option, I'll still attempt to get color temps below, say, 4500K, but a higher color temp is no longer sufficient by itself to disqualify a particular flashlight model from consideration.

--flatline

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking about getting my first M31. The question I have is do I go with the LL (50lmns) or the LLL (15lmns). This will be a backup, but may see some pocket use and will be run on a AA. Just wondering what anyone's thoughts or experience with these drop-ins is.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking about getting my first M31. The question I have is do I go with the LL (50lmns) or the LLL (15lmns). This will be a backup, but may see some pocket use and will be run on a AA. Just wondering what anyone's thoughts or experience with these drop-ins is.

Great question. The 219b Malkoffs are special. Both run admirably well on 1xAA, despite being designed for 3v. The final answer is one of personal preference. I had the M31LL (50) lumens, but in the end I sold it because 50 lumens is rarely the right amount of light for me. Too bright for reading in the dark, but too dim to compete with ambient light.

My choice would be the M31LLL.

Last edited:

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great question. The 219b Malkoffs are special. Both run admirably well on 1xAA, despite being designed for 3v. The final answer is one of personal preference. I had the M61LL (50) lumens, but in the end I sold it because 50 lumens is rarely the right amount of light for me. Too bright for reading in the dark, but too dim to compete with ambient light.

My choice would be the M31LLL.

I appreciate the info. Since my first "real" flashlight back in the day was a 6P with a 60L incan, I can see where 50L ends up being either too bright or not enough. Plus runtime on the LLL with a AA battery is about 18 hours.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Been out for some days. Have the wood stove running in the hot tent. Probably going to pull stakes tomorrow. I forgot my camp malkoff m61ll NW in yellow well used G2. Has primaries. All my batteries are running low and miss the backup. When I get back will make sure it's in the kit.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot my camp malkoff m61ll NW in yellow well used G2. Has primaries. All my batteries are running low and miss the backup. When I get back will make sure it's in the kit.

Much respect for your intrepid spirit, but you'll need to surrender your flashaholic card, sir. This is unacceptable. :poke:

Hotherps1

Newly Enlightened
Been out for some days. Have the wood stove running in the hot tent. Probably going to pull stakes tomorrow. I forgot my camp malkoff m61ll NW in yellow well used G2. Has primaries. All my batteries are running low and miss the backup. When I get back will make sure it's in the kit.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank Mr WoodsWalker for your fascinating Malkoff youtube videos.

I started off in November with a MD2 M61Hot, added a MD2 M61 flashlight, a spare head & M61L bought from Gene, added a collectable MD2 Camo and a MD3 body (both from ebay). Bought spacers from OverReady and AAA to AA adapters and dummy AA cells..........

ALL THANKS TO WATCHING YOUR VIDEOS on the adaptability of the MD3 :thumbsup: I'm now hooked on Malkoff's :D

Next week I'm going to order more from Gene & Cathy.... an MD3 Wildcat, extra drop-ins and other bits.

I have been a SureFire (metal bodied) owner/ user of over 20 years, but these Malkoff MD2 / 3 are much higher in quality.

Thank You WoodsWalker

Regards,
Paul Rowley
UK

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I would like to take the opportunity to thank Mr WoodsWalker for your fascinating Malkoff youtube videos.

I started off in November with a MD2 M61Hot, added a MD2 M61 flashlight, a spare head & M61L bought from Gene, added a collectable MD2 Camo and a MD3 body (both from ebay). Bought spacers from OverReady and AAA to AA adapters and dummy AA cells..........

ALL THANKS TO WATCHING YOUR VIDEOS on the adaptability of the MD3 :thumbsup: I'm now hooked on Malkoff's :D

Next week I'm going to order more from Gene & Cathy.... an MD3 Wildcat, extra drop-ins and other bits.

I have been a SureFire (metal bodied) owner/ user of over 20 years, but these Malkoff MD2 / 3 are much higher in quality.

Thank You WoodsWalker

Regards,
Paul Rowley
UK

Ya the guy is great. Helped me make some choices on Malkoff lights as well.we differ a little bit in the Lumens department however. He's very happy walking out of woods in pitch black with 5 lumens. Not my butt.i have spent a great deal outdoors and while walking at night in the woods I want the sun in my hands. 😂😂😂

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya I'm not sure my M61T would not fit in my 6P. Was to fat.so I know there bigger in diameter. Maybe Gene took this in to account when he made the VME head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts