The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
. However, I want to be able to use a rechargeable battery in there, and not be limited to primaries. It looks like there are no complete MDC's with this capability.
Thanks.

You've hit on the main weakness of the MDC lineup IMO. As mentioned, your other choice is a VME head with M61 or M361 dropin and MDC body.
I too have struggled with this since I'd gone completely to rechargeable but I broke down and got a CR123 MDC. With the batteries relatively cheap now and the long flat regulation of these heads, I don't think this will be a great hardship but I'm really looking forward to Malkoff releasing a MDC that will run on rechargeables and use the Hi/Lo ring.
I'd likely buy multiples if they accepted different power dropins as well.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never actually purchased a CR123A battery, but I've accumulated quite a few over the years just because they come with the flashlights I buy. So to use them up, I've got a M31LL in a VME head on a LumenFactory E1 body.

It's slow going.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've hit on the main weakness of the MDC lineup IMO. As mentioned, your other choice is a VME head with M61 or M361 dropin and MDC body.
I too have struggled with this since I'd gone completely to rechargeable but I broke down and got a CR123 MDC. With the batteries relatively cheap now and the long flat regulation of these heads, I don't think this will be a great hardship but I'm really looking forward to Malkoff releasing a MDC that will run on rechargeables and use the Hi/Lo ring.
I'd likely buy multiples if they accepted different power dropins as well.
The MDC Li-Ion L-M-H hed is the same driver and reflector as M361, you just get a slimmer package than with M361 and VME. I just checked and it is out of stock right now but you an either wait for restock or try to buy one used.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of these will run on a single Li ion cell...

MDC XP-L 16650 500 Lumen Flashlight
MDC Neutral XP-L 16650 500 Lumen Flashlight
E2 Super Throw/Scout M600 2CR123 High Output Head
E2T/Scout M600 2CR123 Head
E2 Super/Scout M600 2CR123 High Output Head

The first two have 3 modes and the last are single mode.
For a small manufacturer, I think that's actually quite a selection.
All you need to do is buy a body, he does them to fit 16340, 16650 and 18650, what's not to like?

I know that some are out of stock, but Gene's just had a Flash Sale. He restocks pretty quickly.
P

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
All of these will run on a single Li ion cell...
For a small manufacturer, I think that's actually quite a selection.
All you need to do is buy a body, he does them to fit 16340, 16650 and 18650, what's not to like?
P

No disagreement. Always impressed with Malkoff and his frequent updates.
But, I know I'm not the only one here that would like to see a single CR123/16340 sized MDC that could run both primaries and rechargeables.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll find that they will all run on a CR123, just out of regulation. Not a biggie.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.
Are there any Malkoffs that have LVP?

P

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think sygyzy wants a light that will use rechargeables, but not necessarily primaries. Thus, it's not necessary to find a light that uses both. Easy enough, since very few Malkoff lights are limited to primaries. To those listed above, I would add that you could use any M61 variant in a VME head, with any battery tube you like. I frequently use an M61L 219b + VME head with a 1CR123 body. I use 16340's and get about an hour and a half of run time. Obviously the 16650 tube will massively increase run time.

I think the MDC 16650 is a fine choice. You can also get a Nichia version from Illumination Supply.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to see a MDC head in neutral white(preferably right in the middle at 4500k), that takes 4.20-4.35V cells(16340 or 16650 bodies available), has no PWM, is flat regulated, has a high/low ring/head(tight is high and loose is low), has both a momentary twisty and McClicky removable tailcaps available, and a knurled body would be nice but, I can deal with the new Bodyguard style. All of this with the bulletproof, potted, high quality that has made Malkoff popular over the years of course. Kind of like a micro MD1/2.

An Illumn version of this with a Nichia would be a nice option too.

I have been waiting for this light for many years. Hopefully one day...

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone please confirm that it is safe to power my M31LL with 2 Energizer Lithium AA cells (3.4v nominal)?

Thank you!

--flatline

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Going camping this weekend. 1 to 2 feet of snow. Temps -6F with maybe -25F windchill. Thinking SF G2/M61(maybe NLL) with 2XCR123 batteries incase something goes wrong in the storm like the tipi blows down etc etc.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Thanks brother. I should be good. Almost finished packing. Planned the outing weeks ago because of the long weekend. Adventure kinda found me. :laughing: Going with the Yellow G2 m61nll and extra set of SF CR123s. Will also have an armtek wizard cool white with a Nitecore cold resistant 18650. This will be my first good test of that battery. Plus a LR30 lantern. Run that off a 16650 because protected 18650s are tight and there is no cut off. Then again it does have a way to measure the voltage so unless accidentally left on shouldn't be an issue either way. Taking 4X18650s plus what's in the headlamp. Can use the F1 magnetic charger powerbank to drain them if needed. I have cameras and the phone. Hope there are some bars so can hang out online though will probably be policing snow off the shelter and sawing wood for the tipi stove. That's kinda what works during really bad weather.

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
Can anyone give me their impressions of the neutral XP-G2 MDC AA? More specifically, is the neutral tint generally regarded as pleasant? I've been spoiled by awesome experiences with Malkoff's neutral XP-L tints. lol

Nimitz68

Enlightened
Can anyone give me their impressions of the neutral XP-G2 MDC AA? More specifically, is the neutral tint generally regarded as pleasant? I've been spoiled by awesome experiences with Malkoff's neutral XP-L tints. lol

This has become one of my favorite lights. I carry it every day, using an Eneloop Pro battery. Tremendous flexibility with the three levels and a very pleasant beam tint. I highly recommend it.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

In my opinion, Malkoff's XPG2's have a more pleasing tint than the XPL's. This could vary from one specimen to the next, but all of my XPG2's have had less cree-rainbow-tint-shift than the XPL's. I've never had the 1AA MDC, but it's the same emitter I've had in several other Malkoffs.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Thanks brother. I should be good. Almost finished packing. Planned the outing weeks ago because of the long weekend. Adventure kinda found me. :laughing: Going with the Yellow G2 m61nll and extra set of SF CR123s. Will also have an armtek wizard cool white with a Nitecore cold resistant 18650. This will be my first good test of that battery. Plus a LR30 lantern. Run that off a 16650 because protected 18650s are tight and there is no cut off. Then again it does have a way to measure the voltage so unless accidentally left on shouldn't be an issue either way. Taking 4X18650s plus what's in the headlamp. Can use the F1 magnetic charger powerbank to drain them if needed. I have cameras and the phone. Hope there are some bars so can hang out online though will probably be policing snow off the shelter and sawing wood for the tipi stove. That's kinda what works during really bad weather.

Hey walker just being nosy here. How far are you away from civilization when you do your camp in the woods alone during a snow storm thing? And do you alert your friends/family where you will be? You know for safety sake.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's very pleasant. Know how some neutral tints look a bit green when you're comparing them against a cool tint on a white wall? This doesn't do that.

--flatline

Status
Not open for further replies.