The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bignc

Enlightened
Not sure why I didn't think of LF. I guess I was too into their E-series stuff to notice. lol

Thanks. I'll be getting those for my 3 cells lights and my MD1 and the MD1.5 I will undoubtedly be ordering soon- MDW and I have PM's flying because I am dumb. lol

I don't know about the M61LL and 185650/ 2x question. I am still shocked that the 3 cr123 may get less runtime than the 2 cell. Actually, not sure if INF ever posted the WLL on 3- 123.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Ive got an MD2 with an M61W. Ive got an issue with a pronounced ring in the outer spill of the beam. Could this be caused by the spacing of the gaskets between the lens and module? I Really like the capability and the tint of this light, Id like to reserve diffusion film as a last resort though.

bignc

Enlightened
Ive got an MD2 with an M61W. Ive got an issue with a pronounced ring in the outer spill of the beam. Could this be caused by the spacing of the gaskets between the lens and module? I Really like the capability and the tint of this light, Id like to reserve diffusion film as a last resort though.

SOMEONE SOMEWHERE (probably this thread) mentioned that those rings are due to the small opening of the MD head- and they always use the larger head that comes normally with the "T" module/ heads.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
SOMEONE SOMEWHERE (probably this thread) mentioned that those rings are due to the small opening of the MD head- and they always use the larger head that comes normally with the "T" module/ heads.

It is my suspicion that the rings are a combination of the emitter and the reflector and have nothing to do with the head aperture.

If someone wants to run a module outside a head and compare the beam, that would probably settle this once and for all.

--flatline

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both versions of the MDX head produce a ring at the outer circumference of the beam when using an M61. However, it is much more pronounced with the 16.5 and nearly imperceptible with the 22.3. Also, it is not normally necessary to include an O-ring between the lens and the module.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Perhaps this is a stupid question, but if my M61LL gets X hours runtime on 1x18650, will it get more than 2X hours runtime on 2x18650?

--flatline

That's a tricky question. In short no. What happens is you get more output but not double the runtime. I do believe though that it's still up for debate.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a tricky question. In short no. What happens is you get more output but not double the runtime. I do believe though that it's still up for debate.

I'll compare my M61LL on 1x18650 against my M61WLL and then compare it again on 2x18650 to see if I notice a change in output.

--flatline

Hotherps1

Newly Enlightened
I'm using a Surefire ring & lanyard on my MD3. Perfect fit and not as bulky as some other rings.

thermal guy

Flashaholic

You do get a better beam with the larger opening heads. Helps with throw as well. Still haven't figured that one out yet

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
You do get a better beam with the larger opening heads. Helps with throw as well. Still haven't figured that one out yet

I believe someone on a different thread mentioned that the throw part of a reflectored light comes from the circumference and not the middle. The test is to put an opaque disc on the exact center and not cover the circumference. (Play with the size to see) You should still have throw. I don't know how this applies to optics but may be a similar deal.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Helps with throw as well. Still haven't figured that one out yet

The reflector creates the throw. Without it, you'd have a mule. Blocking the light that comes off the reflector prevents the formation of a hot spot. Any light that comes off the LED without first striking the reflector goes into the spill beam. That's why the coin-on-the-lens trick doesn't cut the throw.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, precisely why Streamlight includes a "smoke cutter" plug that goes into the center of the TIR lens of their 2AA Survivor.
It allows only the spot part of the light's output and cuts down on spill.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So got my 91b in yesterday. She now lives in a MD3 crenellated bezel and a tricap.A m61 on steroids is absolutely the perfect way to describe this thing.very bright and huge spill. I wasn't expecting that much spill to be honest but it will be perfect for closing up my plant after hours.and because of the output low is very useful. I like it.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The reflector creates the throw. Without it, you'd have a mule. Blocking the light that comes off the reflector prevents the formation of a hot spot. Any light that comes off the LED without first striking the reflector goes into the spill beam. That's why the coin-on-the-lens trick doesn't cut the throw.

Thanks my friend I get it now. Perfect explanation. And slow enough for me to understand 😂😂

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
So got my 91b in yesterday. She now lives in a MD3 crenellated bezel and a tricap.A m61 on steroids is absolutely the perfect way to describe this thing.very bright and huge spill. I wasn't expecting that much spill to be honest but it will be perfect for closing up my plant after hours.and because of the output low is very useful. I like it.

Glad you like it. Please let us know if we can help spend any more of your money.:twothumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.