The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone tried using an OR v5 triple drop-in with a VME head? I'm aware of the potential problem with poor thermal management, so mainly concerned about fitment. Planning on low lumen usage, but really want the secondary LED. Thanks!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Archimedes in April 2018, the OR triple won't fit into the VME head. I recall trying it with an older generation one with the same result.

They can be made to work in an MD2 (preferrably 22.3 sized) head if the retaining ring is modified. It didn't take too much effort to open the inner diameter of one of mine.

Last edited:

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd be better getting the dedicated E series V6 Triple.
That's if you can find one!
P

Good suggestion. My hope was to pair with a Ti VME head, but that dream is dead.

Are the v6 expected to be released soon? Don't see a post about them in the OR subforum. I've been checking ORs website regularly but haven't seen any v5 (or v6). Saw a eseries triple pop up on WTS recently. Didn't act fast enough. Think that was a v5 though.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
If by "V6" you are meaning a next-generation dropin from OR, I have not heard of such a thing, and would encourage checking with EG prior to discussion on it ? I have seen the demise of product lines from unwarranted speculation, just a FYI.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
E2 Hyper, 550 OTF & 40k cd. This will be a tight one! Hope a beamshot lands soon.

Does anyone know what this heads candela is? 600 lumen Scout Light. EDIT: I found it and it is stated as 13,000 candela and 500 lumens. I swear it was listed as 600 lumens on the package. 40,000 CD will be for really long distance shooting. I don't see it having any spill at all.

2AK4KDJ.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My early KE2-A was advertised at 500 lumens, but I don't include candela in my records. It's possible it could have been upgraded to 600, since it's been out for a few years. Compared to any small Malkoff with an optic, the KE2-A's spot is HUGE. Those 500 lumens are spread out into a much larger area, which naturally greatly reduces the candela.

My guess is that the E1HT and E2HT will have very similar (if not identical) spot to spill ratios, with the increase in candela coming strictly from increased output. The E1HT is completely usable from 3 feet to 30 yards.....haven't tried it further yet.

Last edited:

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
My early KE2-A was advertised at 500 lumens, but I don't include candela in my records. It's possible it could have been upgraded to 600, since it's been out for a few years. Compared to any small Malkoff with an optic, the KE2-A's spot is HUGE. Those 500 lumens are spread out into a much larger area, which naturally greatly reduces the candela.

My guess is that the E1HT and E2HT will have very similar (if not identical) spot to spill ratios, with the increase in candela coming strictly from increased output. The E1HT is completely usable from 3 feet to 30 yuards.....haven't tried it further yet.

Yes, the hotspot has to be really tight at 35K. I wish that option would be available on a Malkoff MD2 body for a handheld thrower in the 5500K range without needing a Surefire body to lego it to. One can dream...

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes 550 lumens at 35K means all throw. Very little spill. But that's great because he makes plenty of lights with spill. It will be great to use in combination with an M61 or M91.you can can have a ton of spill with them and some nice throw in a small package with this. Really looking forward to some beam shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.