The Official Zebralight Thread .

ohio72

Newly Enlightened
Here is my SC65 and I just tried the L4 flicker test with mine. Here's a link to it and let me know if you see any flicker to me I don't see any like the video above. I know I was shaking little bit trying to keep the phone steady but I'm just curious what you guys and gals think. https://photos.app.goo.gl/FKtFSSfKpBXy77RG8

Attachments

• IMG_9688.jpeg
    IMG_9688.jpeg
    681.3 KB · Views: 73

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see any like the video above
I dont either..
maybe you were lucky and your light is different than the other 3 Im reporting,
bear in mind Im reporting the results from 3 different owners, two of which have Opple instruments

other possible reasons:
are you sure that you tested on L4? (it requires programming the light, by default L4 is not available by double clic from L1, which goes to L2, not L4).. forgive me for stating what may be obvious to you..

to be sure about your light (assuming it is reprogrammed to reach L4), I would test it with an Opple if you have access to that tool, maybe also redo the video with the phone and light stationary, and you could also try the waving test..

fwiw, this issue does not affect any of the medium levels, nor any of the high modes

My SC65c doesn't have any flicker, or I don't notice it lol.
happy for you too

did you reprogram to acces L4, or are you only reporting for the stock L1 and L2 configuration?

ohio72

Newly Enlightened
I dont either..
bear in mind Im reporting the results from 3 different owners, two of which have Opple instruments

other possible reasons:
are you sure that you tested on L4? (it requires programming the light, by default L4 is not available by double clic from L1, which goes to L2, not L4).. forgive me for stating what may be obvious to you..

to be sure about your light (assuming it is reprogrammed to reach L4), I would test it with an Opple if you have access to that tool, maybe also redo the video with the phone and light stationary, and you could also try the waving test..

fwiw, this issue does not affect any of the medium levels, nor any of the high modes

happy for you too

did you reprogram to acces L4, or are you only reporting for the stock L1 and L2 configuration?
Yes I went to g6 and reprogrammed it. I don't have a Opple but I'm happy with the SC65 either way. I have another one ordered and I'll check it out once I get it.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Does any other Zebralight model have any flickering? The other day I learned that even HDS has PWM on the lower 4 modes, which caught me by surprise, and at least I can't see PWM with my eyes, nor in the HDS or Malkoff MDC. But I know some people can see it and it can be very bothersome. Some even feel sick.

Last edited:

RegularGuy81

Newly Enlightened
I dont either..

other possible reasons:

happy for you too

I apologize... I am referring to L2 (the lowest of the low modes) I forgot the UI is programmable.. I can't imagine it lower than the stock low.. gesh...

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does any other Zebralight model have any flickering?
Im only reporting about the SC65 because I trust the info from Bob_McBob, confirmed by Cheule.

the flicker frequency on L4 on the SC65 is between 75 and 200Hz.. this is very slow and more easily noticed than faster cycles
The other day I learned that even HDS has PWM
yes, although I avoid that term and prefer to talk about the Flicker speed
the lowest frequency of HDS Flicker, is 454 Hz, and that happens on the lowest mode. The frequency gets faster as the output is turned up.

My Opple is not sensitive enough to see HDS level 1. it can see level 3:
hds3.png

note the frequency is 527Hz. iow 527 times per second, the light is dropping to 99.50% modulation depth. The LED is cycling dimmer to the point of being almost completely off and then cycling up to a brighter output. It is a type of Flicker.

by level 6 the HDS has increased its frequency to 1553Hz, it is still cycling the LED to almost completely off: This is how the Opple sees it:
Screen Shot 2023-07-30 at 8.06.36 PM.png

As you can see the Risk Factor on the HDS at level 3 is High Risk, for level 6 it moves to Low Risk.. iow, flicker risk goes down as the frequency gets faster.

in the SC65 the LED does not turn all the way off, that is why you see streaks in this photo, not discrete dots.: This is L4 on the SC65, per Bob's review.
39300-8f943036e0b162a557e03cfffb3ba00a.jpg
I read that on the Opple Flicker test it reported the SC65 Flicker in the High Risk range, on L4, L3 and L2, similar to the HDS shown above at level 3.

Malkoff MDC.
I asked and Gene wrote me that the Flicker on a Malkoff is at 312 Hz. He said most people dont notice it. I have not seen any Opple data for a Malkoff, if somebody wants to mail me one, PM me for my address.. I will also accept an SC65 for testing.. lol

Last edited:

Msf

Enlightened
Following with great interest as my SC65 is in the mail with an arrival date this week. So, up to now, all of the flicker issues are only on the low modes? No issues with flickering on the medium and high modes?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Following with great interest as my SC65 is in the mail with an arrival date this week. So, up to now, all of the flicker issues are only on the low modes? No issues with flickering on the medium and high modes?

So great to have slider on this issue.

Sounds like the SC65 719A stock configuration does not offer L4, which is a lower low than stock the configuration low.

It is bothersome to some, not an issue with others. That image with the dash line of light is telling. Consider that obvious flicker could very well be distracting in a rain or snow event.

Connor

Enlightened
L4 is a regular level and it apparently pulses at a rather low frequency - which sucks for those of us who are sensitive to it.
No reason to sugarcoat this. I like ZLs and this is a (minor) disappointment.