The Official Zebralight Thread .

roger-roger

Enlightened
Zebralight CS says the SC53 is coming out later in 2017, after the SC5 mk II series

Olight S1A form factor is perfect, but bezel up + exposed button are a real bummer.

Excellent news on the SC53.

I bought an Olight S1 at Black Fri prices, and was waiting for an S1A neutral to pop up, as I won't pay msrp for most other brands. Now I can probably wait. Longer. Of course if smallest size is the desired feature, ZL is not competing in that arena.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
otal tint lottery across the board unfortunately.

Yeah I'm sure that's true and I can only speak definitively about the lights I've had myself, which is a very small sample size. But it was my impression from following reports online and talking with others that the chances of getting good tint are better with the '62 than with the '63, but of course nothing is guaranteed. I could be completely wrong though.

I really wish my '63w were't so green... :(

markr6

Flashaholic
Yeah I'm sure that's true and I can only speak definitively about the lights I've had myself, which is a very small sample size. But it was my impression from following reports online and talking with others that the chances of getting good tint are better with the '62 than with the '63, but of course nothing is guaranteed. I could be completely wrong though.

I really wish my '63w were't so green... :(

Mine is leaning towards yellow, but not bad. I can't complain after thinking about all the other bad ones I've seen.

mightysparrow

Enlightened
Re: SC62w is Outstanding for Anyone with Carry Weight Limitations

What are the odds! Me too. Decided to pull the trigger on the SC62w and love it. Its on the larger side of pocket EDC to me, but its pretty much almost perfect.

It's on the larger side of pocket edc for me, too. I'm glad I decided to go for it - I agree with you that it's about perfect.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Thank you for the info. I am not necessarily looking for one particular size. I also am looking for something slightly larger that has good throw and spill which would be beyond what ZL offers. If I like the sc600 enough which I'm sure i will, I may just join the club and get a SC32(3),SC52(3), and SC62(3) as well, to cover my compact needs...time will tell.

I was looking at the Elzetta's, Malkoff's, and Surefire but i'm not too sure i could deal with only Hi/lo. I like having the different settings. I typically use moonlight, med, high. Ideally It may be nice to have a light with infinitely variable levels. Although I do like that the ZL's have the sub level's, thats definitely a nice touch

what are the differences between the sc62 and sc63? quick look, it seems that the sc63 is slightly smaller, higher power and only $10 more, logic would tell me to just get the 63, but I could be missing something, idk. any input/info is appreciated

ha ha, I just posted a comment in your thread.
My needs for a headlamp are not as yours are. I would mainly just need it mainly for working on my semi during a breakdown or at home on a vehicle. Not sure i would need it for more than that but who knows. Definitely having an option of higher output as the one you recommend would probably be fine. i'll have to take a look at what they have. Thank you

I'm definitely interested to see the new lineup/catalog. any idea of any release dates?

Thanks for all the input/info. I will try to check this thread often and will update you on my thoughts of the sc600 when I get a chance to check it out once it arrives. It may end up being all I really need, won't be able to tell until I get back out on the road
the 62 will accept protected or unprotected batteries. The 63 only unprotected.

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened
Decided to dip my toes back into Zebralight and since I haven't owned one for a few years, or at least far back enough that I can't remember when I last bought mine so I would like to ask a few questions if I may about the lights themselves. Mainly I want to know if the published runtime/lumen specs are accurate or if they are under/over sold, and how solid are they in terms of surviving whacks, dings and drops. IIRC my Zebralights were pretty solid.

At the moment I'm looking buying one of the SC5 or SC32, though I may say to hell with it and buy both.

Connor

Enlightened
Decided to dip my toes back into Zebralight and since I haven't owned one for a few years, or at least far back enough that I can't remember when I last bought mine so I would like to ask a few questions if I may about the lights themselves. Mainly I want to know if the published runtime/lumen specs are accurate or if they are under/over sold, and how solid are they in terms of surviving whacks, dings and drops. IIRC my Zebralights were pretty solid.

According to many reviews the runtime/lumens specs are accurate if not a little "under sold". The newer models have become lighter/smaller and perhaps somewhat less solid than the old Zebralights but they're still very good. Electronics are potted now.
Glass lenses can always break on a drop ..

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast

At the moment I'm looking buying one of the SC5 or SC32, though I may say to hell with it and buy both.
I have been carrying either an SC52 and/or SC5 every day for several years now and pull them out all day long and many drops and fumbles a day later I have yet to have a single problem.

I don't drop the bigger ones for some reason but still no issues there either.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened

I was debating between 52w and 32w and had decided to do the same and get both when I saw that the 32w was backordered. If you have a good source, let me know.
About the time we get these they'll be an update of course.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been all over the place, sorry i missed some comments/responses about the 62w/63w. i appreciate all the input.

I think i mentioned it; I ordered the sc600w mkIII HI neutral white. Got it on saturday, my eyes aren't what they once were but to me it looks like it is perfect (at least close). I believe they are 4400k. depending on what light i compare it to changes the tint but it has a nice neutral tint with a slight creamy/rosy hue. no yellow, no green, etc. hotspot is great and spill is pretty good.

still getting used to the ui and sideswitch(coming from a 4/7 tailswitch, takes a little getting used to) but over all I like what can be done with the ui, etc.
Size is nice and small with a slightly larger head. If it would help thermals, I wouldn't even mind if the length was a bit longer. It definitely has the best tint out of my current 4 lights. It makes my old quark neutral white look greenish now and by itself it always seemed to have a good tint. As long as I'm not comparing lights and using them individually, they all are good overall.

EDIT: I should add in that I also picked up a fenix pd35tac. by itself it appears to have a very close to true white tint (maybe a very very faint hint of blue) but when compared to the ZL the tint has a more noticeable hint of blue. crazy how this happens. Also wanted to add that on the H2 setting which I believe is 580lm, the pd35 has 500lm but lights everything up more. i imagine some of this is because the pd is a cool white and ZL is neutral. However the ZL works just as well on it's H1 setting compared to the pd's 1000lm high setting. I live in the city so i cannot yet test distance just approx 80-100 in the back yard. The ZL has more spill and a bigger hot spot but the PD still allows me to see more; mainly in the step below the highest (approx 500/580lm setting)

The only thing I wish was better on the sc600 is that the spill was brighter. Not sure If I would need the new sc600fd mkIII plus or what.

Being that I have the sc600w probably no need for a 62w/63w unless I just want fairly similar lights. obviously the 62w/63w would be a little smaller(at least the 63w) and probably a slightly different beam pattern

I can definitely see me spending a ton of money in my search for a few lights to cover my needs. Only way to learn and know what i want/need, I suppose. Thanks again

Last edited:

Cobraman502

Enlightened
I've been all over the place, sorry i missed some comments/responses about the 62w/63w. i appreciate all the input.

I think i mentioned it; I ordered the sc600w mkIII HI neutral white. Got it on saturday, my eyes aren't what they once were but to me it looks like it is perfect (at least close). I believe they are 4400k. depending on what light i compare it to changes the tint but it has a nice neutral tint with a slight creamy/rosy hue. no yellow, no green, etc. hotspot is great and spill is pretty good.

still getting used to the ui and sideswitch(coming from a 4/7 tailswitch, takes a little getting used to) but over all I like what can be done with the ui, etc.
Size is nice and small with a slightly larger head. If it would help thermals, I wouldn't even mind if the length was a bit longer. It definitely has the best tint out of my current 4 lights. It makes my old quark neutral white look greenish now and by itself it always seemed to have a good tint. As long as I'm not comparing lights and using them individually, they all are good overall.

EDIT: I should add in that I also picked up a fenix pd35tac. by itself it appears to have a very close to true white tint (maybe a very very faint hint of blue) but when compared to the ZL the tint has a more noticeable hint of blue. crazy how this happens. Also wanted to add that on the H2 setting which I believe is 580lm, the pd35 has 500lm but lights everything up more. i imagine some of this is because the pd is a cool white and ZL is neutral. However the ZL works just as well on it's H1 setting compared to the pd's 1000lm high setting. I live in the city so i cannot yet test distance just approx 80-100 in the back yard. The ZL has more spill and a bigger hot spot but the PD still allows me to see more; mainly in the step below the highest (approx 500/580lm setting)

The only thing I wish was better on the sc600 is that the spill was brighter. Not sure If I would need the new sc600fd mkIII plus or what.

Being that I have the sc600w probably no need for a 62w/63w unless I just want fairly similar lights. obviously the 62w/63w would be a little smaller(at least the 63w) and probably a slightly different beam pattern

I can definitely see me spending a ton of money in my search for a few lights to cover my needs. Only way to learn and know what i want/need, I suppose. Thanks again

If you want a decent throwing 18650 for pretty cheap and great UI check out the Astrolux S2. This design was from BLF originally called Kronos x6. http://m.banggood.com/Astrolux-S2-XPL-HI-1400LM-EDC-LED-Flashlight-18650-p-1037831.html. This like has a 60,000 Lux hotspot and is nice and small. About 1400 lumens on high.

There is a coupon code floating around here or on BLF site for about $5 off. Got mine for $28 shipped.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a decent throwing 18650 for pretty cheap and great UI check out the Astrolux S2. This design was from BLF originally called Kronos x6. http://m.banggood.com/Astrolux-S2-XPL-HI-1400LM-EDC-LED-Flashlight-18650-p-1037831.html. This like has a 60,000 Lux hotspot and is nice and small. About 1400 lumens on high.

There is a coupon code floating around here or on BLF site for about $5 off. Got mine for $28 shipped.
thank you.

I do not think i am looking for a compact thrower, maybe at some point. Overall The sc600w mkIII Hi seems to be close to what I'm looking for. Won't be able to tell for the next few days probably.

I would say my main use minus close work is when I stop at a rest area or similar to let my dog out to run around and what not. I would say typically up to 3-400ft maybe distance wise, but i would like the light to adequately light up a large area at a time. Maybe i need a flood beam but one that will project out to 400ft or close to.

When I get back on the road here in the next couple days, i will try out the ZL and PD35-tac that i picked up and see what my conclusion/thoughts turn up to be.

Thanks again

markr6

Flashaholic
I eliminated the SC63 from my consideration for this reason. Great light, but I just don't want to deal with unprotected cells.

In contrast, I don't want to deal with protected cells. I wish Zebralight just kept the size the same as the SC62 and allowed both so there wasn't any confusion.

tops2

Enlightened
I see why people love the SC62w. After being disappointed with the yellow tint on the SC600w MKIII that I received, I ended up debating which 18650 light to get again. But finally one day, it happened the SC62w came back in stock on Zebralight's website so I promptly ordered. I have the light for about 2 weeks not but haven't had a chance for a real extended usage yet, but from what I tried, I love it.

I love the size and weight for an 18650 light. Its even a tiny bit smaller and lighter than my H600Fd. Its small and light enough that I'd pocket carry it sometimes, where as the SC600w MKIII feels "bulky" in comparison. While it loses some versatility vs a headlamp, its much more ergonomic to hand hold if I take a walk. Its nice and floody, while throwing far enough for me. Its basically what I wanted as a more powerful version of my SC5w with higher max and longer runtime.

The only nitpicky thing is on the lower levels while white wall hunting, the hotspot is a bit yellow while the spill is whiter/creamier. The yellowness is less pronounced on any of the high levels. But when used outside in nature settings, its pretty pleasant some how. I do still think the tint of my SC5w is hard to beat, but my SC62w is not bad as well.

Luckily for me, it feels like the SC62w has satisfied most of what I'm looking for so I can start saving money again! :crackup:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tops, the 62w is an excellent light! If you get one with good tint then it's tough to beat. Just don't try the MK3 HI edition, it's the best light ZL has produced imo for tint, hotspot, and a good balance of throw/spill. I have both the 62w and 63w and find I use them both a good bit. The tint on my 62w is actually a little bit better too. It's amazing how compact and powerful these lights are.

I cant wait for the new SC5c MK2 version. I'm guessing this one might have the new programmable driver and with an XP-L at 4000k and 93-95 cri it could set a new standard for AA flashlights. Anyone hear when they are planning to release it?

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tops, the 62w is an excellent light! If you get one with good tint then it's tough to beat. Just don't try the MK3 HI edition, it's the best light ZL has produced imo for tint, hotspot, and a good balance of throw/spill. I have both the 62w and 63w and find I use them both a good bit. The tint on my 62w is actually a little bit better too. It's amazing how compact and powerful these lights are.

I cant wait for the new SC5c MK2 version. I'm guessing this one might have the new programmable driver and with an XP-L at 4000k and 93-95 cri it could set a new standard for AA flashlights. Anyone hear when they are planning to release it?

I recently got the mk3 hi and it does have a great tint and beam. I haven't had a chance to really use it yet but it seems great so far.

Guess i shouldn't get the 62/63w then...haha

This is my first ZL, so I can't compare or comment on other models

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got the mk3 hi and it does have a great tint and beam. I haven't had a chance to really use it yet but it seems great so far.

Guess i shouldn't get the 62/63w then...haha

This is my first ZL, so I can't compare or comment on other models
If you're only buying one light you are on the wrong forum :)

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Technically i did buy 2 at a time, unfortunately the second one wasn't a zl:p

Does this count....you guys going to let me slide this time:shrug: