The Official Zebralight Thread .

recDNA

Flashaholic
I believe the MKIII HI was measured around 18K cd by a number of people. Not sure about the MKIV HI though but, it has a slightly more aggressive OP on the reflector which may affect things a bit. I can try and measure mine when it gets here.
Thanks!

Flint Hills

Newly Enlightened
I have an SC52w L2. I keep trying to talk myself into upgrading to the SC5c. Does anyone here have both and care to comment?

I've read mixed reviews on the tint of the "c" emitter and that's what I'm most concerned about. I would prefer a little warmer, that's why I think the c may be a good fit?

Other than my SC52w, all of my lights have Nichia.

NPL

Enlightened
I have an SC52w L2. I keep trying to talk myself into upgrading to the SC5c. Does anyone here have both and care to comment?

I've read mixed reviews on the tint of the "c" emitter and that's what I'm most concerned about. I would prefer a little warmer, that's why I think the c may be a good fit?

Other than my SC52w, all of my lights have Nichia.
I upgraded from h52w to h53c (same LED options you are referring to).

Much prefer the tint and color rendering of the h53c. Cct is definitely warmer. If you prefer cooler lights, then the SC5w would be a better option. Ifind the 4000k is much better suited for night time,way more comfortable and soothing on the eyes with better rendering or reds and Earth tones. The 4500k is more clinical and low CRI rendering from my h52w made colors feel washed out. Hope this helps

Flint Hills

Newly Enlightened
I upgraded from h52w to h53c (same LED options you are referring to).

Much prefer the tint and color rendering of the h53c. Cct is definitely warmer. If you prefer cooler lights, then the SC5w would be a better option. Ifind the 4000k is much better suited for night time,way more comfortable and soothing on the eyes with better rendering or reds and Earth tones. The 4500k is more clinical and low CRI rendering from my h52w made colors feel washed out. Hope this helps

Great, thanks!

Any chance you could share some beamshots comparing your two w and c?

Michael_Fr

Newly Enlightened
Today I tested the thermal regulation on my Zebralights:

I ran my SC600w and SC64w on H1 until the PID kicked in and measured the temperature with an infrared thermometer. Both lights have the PID set to factory defaults.

The SC600's temperature was 55 degrees C which is a value I have stumbled across several times in the forums. The SC64w had only 50 degrees C. Does Zebralight use lower temps for smaller lights?

Best, Michael

ven

Flashaholic
I would imagine so Michael, as smaller lights will heat up faster( zebras) so with less mass/heat sinking ability, it would make sense to have a lower temp dialled in. Just guessing ............

R2RO

Newly Enlightened
Today I tested the thermal regulation on my Zebralights:

I ran my SC600w and SC64w on H1 until the PID kicked in and measured the temperature with an infrared thermometer. Both lights have the PID set to factory defaults.

The SC600's temperature was 55 degrees C which is a value I have stumbled across several times in the forums. The SC64w had only 50 degrees C. Does Zebralight use lower temps for smaller lights?

Best, Michael

What was the time difference like for the step down? Did the sc600 run brighter for much longer or was it similar?

Michael_Fr

Newly Enlightened
What was the time difference like for the step down? Did the sc600 run brighter for much longer or was it similar?

I didn't measure time exactly, but the SC600w lastet a lot longer before stepping down. My guess would be 5 minutes for the SC600w vs. 1-2 minutes for the SC64w.
Of course, that comparison is unfair since the SC600's cutoff temp is 5 degrees higher - so it is not just a result of the higher mass.

On a sidenote: I did the comparison at room temperature with the lights lying down. Might be a different story when holding the lights in hand.

Best, Michael

joelbnyc

Enlightened
Yeah I figured it was maybe returns tho? I will email them ;) any good comparison posts or reviews on 64c vs 64w?

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
Wait, how did you do that? With a magnifying lens? By putting the leaf in contact with the ZL's lens?

I just turned it on,with PID turned to Max. I then placed the leaf on top of the flashlight.

Edit: after changing those PID settings the light for sure gets too hot to hold lol

Last edited: