The Official Zebralight Thread .

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Do you mean another SC600w? Or Hi version
I don't know whether to make another attempt with SC600w, maybe I could ask NKON if they make a selection before shipping.
Perhaps as they all say the best choice would be HI version, but I have to be careful when the refund arrives I could end up buying yet another Zebralight Headlamp..
I use very little hand lights but I wanted to "update" my old SC600w even though it still works great and has a nice color tint.
The new SC600w has 400 lumens more and has slightly larger spots and spills (I made a brief comparison of the lights) if it wasn't for the bad tint it would have been a successful update.

You can ask NKON to select the tint for you, they always do it for me and was never disappointed. And if they can't find a tint that you want, they're honest to tell you.

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Derek: I have been going back and forth with a dude (super nice guy) with a laser cutter trying to cut a perfect circle of LEE Zircon filter for my Plus. I got one of the cuts to fit nicely without using any glue, but running the light on H1 deformed the filter! For reference, he programmed the laser to cut 29/32 + 1/64 + 1/128 of an inch, lol. To my knowledge, you didn't use the Zircon type filters.. any issues with deformation?

I put a warning filter on my BLF A6 and the tint is awesome! It produces such a pleasant amber tone.

likethevegetable

Enlightened
WalkIntoTheLight: Out of curiosity, do you have any DC-Fix? I'm interested in seeing how the HI + DC-Fix compares with the Plus.

The greenish cast of my Plus has me longing for a light with a better tint to replace it. I'm trying some LEE filters but you'll see from the post above that I'm running into difficulties.

If the HI + DC-Fix compares with the Plus, I might sell the Plus and buy a HI.

I purchased two SC64w HI's but had to return them due to a faulty switch and then poor anodizing.. then gave up on the model as I don't really need one anyway.. but they made me realize that a 4500k beam should be clean and NEUTRAL, not green. I think I preferred the 600 host to the 64 for better thermals (important when used as a bike light) and feel in hand over pocketability. The SC64w HI beam was amazing though...

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
WalkIntoTheLight: Out of curiosity, do you have any DC-Fix? I'm interested in seeing how the HI + DC-Fix compares with the Plus.

The greenish cast of my Plus has me longing for a light with a better tint to replace it. I'm trying some LEE filters but you'll see from the post above that I'm running into difficulties.

If the HI + DC-Fix compares with the Plus, I might sell the Plus and buy a HI.

I purchased two SC64w HI's but had to return them due to a faulty switch and then poor anodizing.. then gave up on the model as I don't really need one anyway.. but they made me realize that a 4500k beam should be clean and NEUTRAL, not green. I think I preferred the 600 host to the 64 for better thermals (important when used as a bike light) and feel in hand over pocketability. The SC64w HI beam was amazing though...

I don't have any DC-Fix, but I've used free diffusers from an old laptop screen, as follows:

DC-Fix is probably better, but the laptop diffuser works pretty well. However, it diffuses more than you probably want. There's not much hot-spot left after putting it over the lens. Not quite as diffuse as a frosted lens, but pretty close. I haven't noticed it deforming, but I tend to use it on lower-output lights.

As for the SC64w HI, yeah, stick with the SC600w Plus if you're using it as a bike light. It's really good for that, IMO. As a bike light, you probably won't notice any tint imperfections anyway.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Derek: I have been going back and forth with a dude (super nice guy) with a laser cutter trying to cut a perfect circle of LEE Zircon filter for my Plus. I got one of the cuts to fit nicely without using any glue, but running the light on H1 deformed the filter! For reference, he programmed the laser to cut 29/32 + 1/64 + 1/128 of an inch, lol. To my knowledge, you didn't use the Zircon type filters.. any issues with deformation?

I put a warning filter on my BLF A6 and the tint is awesome! It produces such a pleasant amber tone.
I've never had any issues with deformation of the filters, but I've never had the need to use H1. Most of my use is in the 50-70 lumens range for reading, or the 300-400 lumen range for lighting up pathways etc.

If you're having an issue with deformation, you might try using a pink magic marker on the front glass. It works surprisingly well, however, it does have a tendency to rub off, so if you like the results, you can seal it on with clear tape.

ven

Flashaholic
Do you mean another SC600w? Or Hi version
I don't know whether to make another attempt with SC600w, maybe I could ask NKON if they make a selection before shipping.
Perhaps as they all say the best choice would be HI version, but I have to be careful when the refund arrives I could end up buying yet another Zebralight Headlamp..
I use very little hand lights but I wanted to "update" my old SC600w even though it still works great and has a nice color tint.
The new SC600w has 400 lumens more and has slightly larger spots and spills (I made a brief comparison of the lights) if it wasn't for the bad tint it would have been a successful update.

Yes try another HI version, and as mentioned, get nkon to test out prior to shipping. Then hopefully all should be good:cool:

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes try another HI version, and as mentioned, get nkon to test out prior to shipping. Then hopefully all should be good:cool:

Yes when the refund arrives I could buy a HI version on Nkon hoping that they can find a flashlight with acceptable XHP35 led.
I admit to being very tempted by the Plus version - a lot of indecision but what matters to me is having a light with a nice tint (maybe easier with XHP50.2)

NPL

Enlightened
Yes when the refund arrives I could buy a HI version on Nkon hoping that they can find a flashlight with acceptable XHP35 led.
I admit to being very tempted by the Plus version - a lot of indecision but what matters to me is having a light with a nice tint (maybe easier with XHP50.2)
Stefano, I have the Hi and the Plus. If you are picky with tint like me, the Plus will be very yellow/green with tint shift as well. I did put a Lee Zircon minus green filter on it which made it significantly better at the expense of total output now being about 20% lower. The Hi that I have looks great, no filter needed.

Sent from my Pixel using Candlepowerforums mobile app

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stefano, I have the Hi and the Plus

Thank you for your information on the two versions.
From the many favorable opinions I seem to understand that if there was a survey the HI version would win without problems.

ven

Flashaholic

I know one or two have got lucky with the xhp50.2, but I am simply not a fan of anything .2. I went for the mkIII xhp50, I'm not disappointed ! You have a lot more chance of an off tint with this LED used in the mkIV plus. Down side , don't have latest UI, but that's no deal breaker for me anyway.

Good luck with the next HI, great light and quite possibly my fav ZL behind the good old sc62d:)

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it time for a 700 series headlamp? Keep the max output around 1500 lumens and go for longer runtimes? A 21700 used headlamp must be in the works, or maybe people think the size would just be too big?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it time for a 700 series headlamp? Keep the max output around 1500 lumens and go for longer runtimes? A 21700 used headlamp must be in the works, or maybe people think the size would just be too big?

Probably too heavy. Besides, do you really need 1500 lumens as your main output on a headlamp? Sure, it's nice for a quick blast, but headlamps are normally for close-up, and 300 or 400 lumens should be more than enough. That would give over 6 hours on an 18650. I'm not sure the 9 or 10 hours you'd get from a 21700 would be worth the extra weight.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably too heavy. Besides, do you really need 1500 lumens as your main output on a headlamp? Sure, it's nice for a quick blast, but headlamps are normally for close-up, and 300 or 400 lumens should be more than enough. That would give over 6 hours on an 18650. I'm not sure the 9 or 10 hours you'd get from a 21700 would be worth the extra weight.
It's a zebralight, programmable, and H2 at 900 is fine if you are hiking or walking, but you can set it for anything you want. If you are working real close up work, I recommend using the CR123A or AA versions with total flood. Lots of different ways to even use headlamps.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think 21700 would be too heavy.
Yes, that could be for many applications. Strapped on a helmet though it may be OK? Overall the battery is not that much heavier than an 18650, and the shell would not have to be much heavier than the 600 series with the max-output is limited to avoid heating issues.

NPL

Enlightened
Good points. I would personally love to see Zebralight release a multi emitter light to achieve better efficiency, less heat at high output levels, with minimal added weight.

Sent from my Pixel using Candlepowerforums mobile app