The Official Zebralight Thread .

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
It seems the innovation in LEDs has slowed a lot in the past couple of years. So, maybe we're reaching a peak where new flashlight designs aren't really much better than the previous generation.

If I remember correctly right now the lm/watt numbers are more than 50% of the theoretical value. So no significant improvement anymore, not like 5% from incandescent to 50% in LED.

NPL

Enlightened
The one main thing Zebralight should do is replace their high CRI Cree LEDs with either Samsung or Nichia LEDs. Otherwise, I agree, not much else they need to improve on.

Sent from my Pixel using Candlepowerforums mobile app

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let SC600 allow protected 18650's!

Why? The light already has built-in LVP. Besides, something like the SC600w Plus needs to draw up to 8 amps for full output. Protection might trip, or at least add unnecessary resistance. I prefer a shorter light that 65mm cell length allows.

You can use protected cells in their headlamps, where length isn't as important. IMO, they should really ditch support there too, but they still have it.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Seems like almost everything ZL is on Back Order... not sure if this is due to high demand (panic) or supply/manufacturing issues in China... probably the latter, or maybe both.

pyna

Newly Enlightened
i've settled on a 1xAA for my pocket, and so far the zebralight h53c has defended against all comers for a while. Wondering if I'd prefer the SC version and definitely hoping for some movement in specs to give me an easy to excuse to get one

SlippySnorlax

Newly Enlightened
This may come off as an odd question; but does anyone here know if there are custom Zebralights out there? (i.e. titanium body) Would I have to fabricate something like this myself? Because I love everything about my Zebralights, especially the UI and efficiency, however... a custom zebra with rad titanium body, pocket clip, engraving maybe? Sheesh! :eek:

NPL

Enlightened
@pyna,
The sc5 version is noticeably larger in the head. It will not feel as minimalist compared to sc53 series, but you will get better output, throw and heat management. Both are nice and different enough to maybe warrant having both :)

@SlippySporlax
BobMcBob in the other forum does custom Zebralight mods, by changing the emiter to Samsung or Nichia for better color rendering and better tint. There's also a guy who sells custom clips for Zebralights, I think they are titanium. You won't find any titanium Zebralights though, and honestly, there would be no benefit other than aesthetic and collector appeal, not to mention the price would be ridiculously high if they ever ventured that way.

Sent from my Pixel using Candlepowerforums mobile app

TCY

Enlightened
Been two years since my last post - happy to report that my H600FC IV is still going strong. Tint is actually still pleasant even when compared directly against my Wizard Pro Nichia. Have no complaint whatsoever. Looking forward to a ZL version of 144A headlamp though.

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Why? The light already has built-in LVP. Besides, something like the SC600w Plus needs to draw up to 8 amps for full output. Protection might trip, or at least add unnecessary resistance. I prefer a shorter light that 65mm cell length allows.

You can use protected cells in their headlamps, where length isn't as important. IMO, they should really ditch support there too, but they still have it.

Because allowing protected 18650 won't hurt. For you, you can still just use unprotected 18650 and forget about the additional ability.

I know it's not needed for sc600, but my point is why strip that additional ability? It's perfectly possibly that a customer may have a huge light in parallel to one-cell sc600. Fenix tk75 for example, which requires button top.

Also, sc600 does take up to 6volts, at least for the earlier generation. So just extending that tube a bit longer, we can use two cr123a in emergency situations. No H1? Fine with me. My current outdoor system: a 18650 light (Fenix tk15UE), and one super light-weight h32fw cr123 headlamp, 3~4 cr123 batteries as backup. See? Nice and neat, cold temperature ready. If I were to use sc600 in lieu of tk15UE, I need to pack an extra 18650 because it doesn't take cr123s.

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Been two years since my last post - happy to report that my H600FC IV is still going strong. Tint is actually still pleasant even when compared directly against my Wizard Pro Nichia. Have no complaint whatsoever. Looking forward to a ZL version of 144A headlamp though.

I am more and more doubtful of the need of high-cri nowadays. Human eyes are super adaptive. We tell apart minute differences in colors, after staring at them for long enough. 3000K or 7000K light, after a while you won't notice any discomfort, or anything at all, unless you look for it.

I like my sc600 III Hi tint. I like my Fenix HT 18 tint. I like my Ti Lan Pro tint. unless I put them side-by-side, I couldn't tell any differences in colors at all.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
@pyna,
The sc5 version is noticeably larger in the head. It will not feel as minimalist compared to sc53 series, but you will get better output, throw and heat management. Both are nice and different enough to maybe warrant having both :)

I'll second that. If you're going to stick with AA batteries, then the SC5 makes for a nice outdoor compact light. The extra throw is very useful, and the extra brightness helps a bit (though it's not a huge difference). IMO, I don't find the smaller SC53 much good outdoors. For a headlamp, the H53 makes sense (though I prefer the H600Fc).

I don't use my SC5w much anymore, since I much prefer the SC600w HI for outdoors. But it's 18650 based.

Because allowing protected 18650 won't hurt. For you, you can still just use unprotected 18650 and forget about the additional ability.

I know it's not needed for sc600, but my point is why strip that additional ability? It's perfectly possibly that a customer may have a huge light in parallel to one-cell sc600. Fenix tk75 for example, which requires button top.

Also, sc600 does take up to 6volts, at least for the earlier generation. So just extending that tube a bit longer, we can use two cr123a in emergency situations. No H1? Fine with me. My current outdoor system: a 18650 light (Fenix tk15UE), and one super light-weight h32fw cr123 headlamp, 3~4 cr123 batteries as backup. See? Nice and neat, cold temperature ready. If I were to use sc600 in lieu of tk15UE, I need to pack an extra 18650 because it doesn't take cr123s.

Zebralight's niche is very small, bright, and efficient lights. Sticking to flat-tops allows them to do that as well as possible.

Sure, allowing protected cells and CR123 doesn't sound like a big deal, but it forces the light to be a little longer, and possibly a bit thicker. They also then have to worry about protection circuit tripping at H1, or people complaining that it won't work on H1 with CR123 or that it drains the CR123's way too fast.

You could pick up an older (and larger) model if you really need cell compatibility for emergency use. Those support longer cells, but I'm not sure if they do CR123 (other than the SC32 of course). If you're using it for emergencies, then the extra brightness and new UI of the latest models probably doesn't matter to you.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're still alive and selling products. But, they haven't done much new development in a couple of years. It could just be that their current models are still fairly cutting-edge, and selling well. So, there may not be much need for new models.

It seems the innovation in LEDs has slowed a lot in the past couple of years. So, maybe we're reaching a peak where new flashlight designs aren't really much better than the previous generation.

Ya, I've been wondering about ZL too. Seems like all the other brands are coming out with innovative stuff. Acebeam seems to be leading the way. ZL still hasn't come out with that multi emitter light that has been on the spreadsheet for a couple of years now. It's been so long I'm forgetting what it was called.

It's not that I don't like ZL, because I do. I would be the first to buy a new and cutting edge release from them. Even just a new design and I would throw my money at them. Too bad.....

TCY

Enlightened
I am more and more doubtful of the need of high-cri nowadays. Human eyes are super adaptive. We tell apart minute differences in colors, after staring at them for long enough. 3000K or 7000K light, after a while you won't notice any discomfort, or anything at all, unless you look for it.

I like my sc600 III Hi tint. I like my Fenix HT 18 tint. I like my Ti Lan Pro tint. unless I put them side-by-side, I couldn't tell any differences in colors at all.

Oh Professionals might need high CRI lights say doctors, but people buy things because they want it, not need it:naughty:

And tint on the SC600 III HI is already better than that of vast majority of lights (6500K 70CRI) on the market.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
High CRI is very useful for telling things apart. Our eyes really need that color separation to do a good job. Low CRI light, such as most cool-white LEDs, makes things look flat and washed out. It's fine if all you need is a distinction between light and dark, such as in a factory or navigating around the concrete jungle. But in the woods, high CRI makes differences between leaves, rocks, and branches really pop. You can use a lower output with a high CRI light, and see even better (up to a point).

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Sure, allowing protected cells and CR123 doesn't sound like a big deal, but it forces the light to be a little longer, and possibly a bit thicker. They also then have to worry about protection circuit tripping at H1, or people complaining that it won't work on H1 with CR123 or that it drains the CR123's way too fast.

You could pick up an older (and larger) model if you really need cell compatibility for emergency use. Those support longer cells, but I'm not sure if they do CR123 (other than the SC32 of course). If you're using it for emergencies, then the extra brightness and new UI of the latest models probably doesn't matter to you.

Well, almost all other 1x18650 lights can take cr123a. Yet cr123a will have problems in the highest brightness most of the time. But I don't see much complaining. If you specify it clearly there's no problem.

You misunderstood when I say emergency use. I don't do emergency use everyday:) By emergency I mean emergency. For me, the ability of taking cr123a or lack thereof is preventing me from upgrading to Mk IV HI. Really can't convince myself to get another light so restrictive. sc600 became an around-the-house light for me, while it could have been much more than that.

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
High CRI is very useful for telling things apart. Our eyes really need that color separation to do a good job. Low CRI light, such as most cool-white LEDs, makes things look flat and washed out. It's fine if all you need is a distinction between light and dark, such as in a factory or navigating around the concrete jungle. But in the woods, high CRI makes differences between leaves, rocks, and branches really pop. You can use a lower output with a high CRI light, and see even better (up to a point).

Theoretically. Did you ever have that experience yourself?

Back in the cool white days there were no complaint about not being able to tell things apart in the field. People hated the tint, but that's it. It's only when people started on high cri they begin to say it has this advantage. An imagined advantage on paper.

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Oh Professionals might need high CRI lights say doctors, but people buy things because they want it, not need it:naughty:

And tint on the SC600 III HI is already better than that of vast majority of lights (6500K 70CRI) on the market.

Hear, hear!

6500k :crazy:

Connor

Enlightened
Theoretically. Did you ever have that experience yourself?

Back in the cool white days there were no complaint about not being able to tell things apart in the field. People hated the tint, but that's it. It's only when people started on high cri they begin to say it has this advantage. An imagined advantage on paper.

I can't take you for a walk in the woods with me to simply show you the difference between a 70 CRI and 95 CRI light, but if you have already done this yourself and you don't see any difference something is wrong with your eyes.
It is clearly visible.

Last edited: