The Official Zebralight Thread .

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am considering getting the SC700d for my bike...

Does a 21700 fit on most hobby Li-ion cell chargers that can take xx650? I have the common old model Nitecore D4, and specs list acceptable sizes up to 26650. (Regardless of knowing it will mostly sit around doesn't stop me from wanting it, and of course, wanting it certainly doesn't stop me from buying it.)

So, between the SC53c and SC53w, is the only difference the CRI, thus impacting total output? I didn't see anything else different on the ZL spreadsheet.

I cautiously say "yes." I think that is precisely correct, because the higher the CRI, the less efficient an LED will be. But I am becoming more skeptical about what I "know."

Also, the badge on the SC5w II likely has a w where the c would be on an SC5c II. This minor difference is crucial.

Last edited:

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a 5100 mAh unprotected cell that will properly fit and work in the ZL SC700d? Seems wrong that we can only use the 4000 in this

The Samsung 50G or the Vapcell G50.

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/t...reat-performer-but-“max”-rating-issue.943067/

...The Vapcell G50 is a great performing ultra-high capacity 21700 cell. These beat the blue Vapcell 12A 5000mAh, Samsung 50E, and Samsung 50E2. Vapcell says they are rewrapped Samsung 50G cells and they look and perform essentially the same as the Samsung 50G......Samsung gives the 50G a 9.8A continuous rating and a 14.7A non-continuous ("temperature-limited") rating. This means you can use it at 14.7A as long as the cell temperature does not go over 60°C/140°F. The 9.8A rating is what you must use when comparing this cell to others. Hard use of this cell can bring it to 60°C so don't let it get more than warm.

The capacity of the two cells I tested was 4978mAh and 4979mAh...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...w-of-Vapcell-INR21700-5000mAh-G50-(Gold)-2020

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Incredible. That's a lot of cap. 9.8A max. continuous discharge current. But me personally, I think I'd rather have 30A max. discharge current in the 21700 VTC6 for 4000mAh capacity and considerably more cost, nearly 3 to 1 compared to the 50G. (except Zebra sells this 30A 21700 for a third less than my favorite Li-ion sellers (image there is of IMR cell, cell is INR, and btw shouldn't need protection).

Anyone know how many amps the SC700d draws?

Seems wrong that we can only use the 4000 in this

Just pointing out the difference is less than the capacity of a typical AAA cell:
Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAA 1053mAh @1A,
Eneloop Pro AAA 930mAh @1-2mA, and
Duracell Alkaline AAA 970mAh @1mA.

Is that extra capacity worth the reduction in max. continuous discharge current?

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just pointing out the difference is less than the capacity of a typical AAA cell:
Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAA 1053mAh @1A,
Eneloop Pro AAA 930mAh @1-2mA, and
Duracell Alkaline AAA 970mAh @1mA.

Is that extra capacity worth the reduction in max. continuous discharge current?

It's energy that matters, not capacity. The AAA battery has about 1Wh of energy. For a lithium-ion battery, an extra 1000mAh is 3.6Wh of energy. So, yes, it's worth it. If I'm going with a 21700 light, I want the maximum energy battery I can get. Otherwise, I may as well stick with a 18650 light which is smaller and lighter and much more pocketable.

geokite

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought and received a H604d. The ring around the button is different from other new ZLs I have received before, and is different from what they have in their pictures of all headlights. It is not shiny and does not have the 45 degree slope. It is not as comfortable to press the button (but I might get used to it). I have only seen this type of button ring on a H302w I got back from ZL warranty service a couple of years ago.

ZL-Button.jpg

I emailed ZL asking about the button ring and they said "We changed the switch/button ring design of our headlamps 2 or 3 years ago.".

Is this reply consistent with what you have received from ZL? If you have bought a new HL from ZL in the past 2-3 years, did it have this matte ring or the shiny 45 degree kind?

Thanks!
Steve

It crossed my mind that ZL might be sending out refurbished lights.

Steve

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of my ZL have the older style shiney 45 degree angle button shroud.

What you have pictured appears to me to be a new design.

My ZL collection numbers 15 at this moment, and starts with the first Sc600 and includes a H32f as well.

My hope is that ZL will recover.

Jim

I recently bought and received a H604d. The ring around the button is different from other new ZLs I have received before, and is different from what they have in their pictures of all headlights. It is not shiny and does not have the 45 degree slope. It is not as comfortable to press the button (but I might get used to it). I have only seen this type of button ring on a H302w I got back from ZL warranty service a couple of years ago.

ZL-Button.jpg

I emailed ZL asking about the button ring and they said "We changed the switch/button ring design of our headlamps 2 or 3 years ago.".

Is this reply consistent with what you have received from ZL? If you have bought a new HL from ZL in the past 2-3 years, did it have this matte ring or the shiny 45 degree kind?

Thanks!
Steve

SYZYGY

Enlightened
Re: The Official Zebralight Thread

Too impractical? I find this actually relatively common near-fanatical devotion to Li-ion formats (esp. with CPFers) hard to understand.

regarding AA lights.. i EDC a SC64w HI which uses 18650. to me, this light is already pretty small, and i would be surprised if i'd actually appreciate having an even smaller light if it comes at the expense less output and much less energy capacity.

i would actually be pretty curious to try one, but i'm afraid of buying one and just having it sit on a shelf. or having to resell it at a loss.

the other thing is i just refuse to use alkaline batteries anymore unless there's no other option. i hate non-rechargeable, and i REALLY hate when they leak.

which brings us to options like eneloop Ni-MH rechargeable. these are ok, and i reluctantly use them in my camera flashes for my DSLR (i'm about to buy strobe flashes that take lithium cells instead!). but i have to say that my experience with them is much worse than with 18650 and 21700. even though they're high end batteries, i've left them mostly charged and come back to them months later to find that they're dead and won't take a charge. lightly used eneloops, mind you. and no, it's not due to leaving them in a device. it's either from self discharge or defects or just going bad all on their own for some reason i don't understand. am i just unlucky? in contrast, my experience with 18650 and 21700 cells has been a real pleasure.

none of the smaller (AA) zebralights support 14500 batteries? i'm 100% not interested in going back to alkaleak or NiMH cells, so i'll happily stick with their other offerings.

Last edited:

likethevegetable

Enlightened
The new AA ZebraLight (53's and Mk II, silly name convention) do not accept 14500 Li-Ion, unfortunately. I believe the 52 series does, but alas, you miss out on the great UI improvement.

This post eludes to ZL sending out refurb lights as new...

I don't think they'd do that, and was just thinking out loud.
Jim

Yes, not likely. Too expensive to send back to China. Difficult to disassemble. They could, however, just send out lights that people have sent back for tint or other reasons.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast

ZL-Button.jpg

Thanks!
Steve

I recently received a new H600Fd, and it has that same style switch/button ring design seen in your photo. I hadn't noticed it until you pointed it out. Personally, I don't find any issue with using the new style, as the switch itself has exactly the right amount of sensitivity for me, not to hard and not to soft, just right. All around, simply an excellent light with an impeccable finish. My only issue, and that would be nitpicking, is that I'm not overly fond of the headband. I find it a bit uncomfortable, so I've replaced it with the one that came with my Skilhunt H03 and have ordered a replacement strap from Skilhunt for that light (and yes, that was the new style ZL headband).

geokite

Newly Enlightened
I recently received a new H600Fd, and it has that same style switch/button ring design seen in your photo. I hadn't noticed it until you pointed it out. Personally, I don't find any issue with using the new style, as the switch itself has exactly the right amount of sensitivity for me, not to hard and not to soft, just right. All around, simply an excellent light with an impeccable finish. My only issue, and that would be nitpicking, is that I'm not overly fond of the headband. I find it a bit uncomfortable, so I've replaced it with the one that came with my Skilhunt H03 and have ordered a replacement strap from Skilhunt for that light (and yes, that was the new style ZL headband).

Thank you! great! good to hear my suspicion was incorrect. Yea!

Yes, this is quite a light. I needed to put some tape on the lens of my H603d to smooth it out, but not this H604d. Yes, this new headband is hard but it should last a lot longer.

Steve

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I really should not have spent this money, but I am panicked they will not be available when I could spend the money. I just ordered
SC5c II (another, the third one, gifted the first, plan on gifting the one I am holding),
SC5w II and
SC53c

The SC53c was a late call. I was messing around with my SC62c, and realized that while using my SC5c II, I completely missed that super low 0.01Lm mode, which the SC53c has... plus the same Cree XP-L2 EasyWhite emitter as SC5c II that I really dig.

But next to my SC62c, the tint of my current SC5c II does appear to have a green cast. Next to everything else, it looks yellow casted. I think this model might be haunted. But I do not mind.

Last night I was looking at all the models I have missed. I wish I could have scored an SC80c, Operating Voltage Range: 0.7V - 4.2V, so it ran on AA, CR123A, 14500, & 16340, of whatever chems are available. Incredible.

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Well, I really should not have spent this money, but I am panicked they will not be available when I could spend the money. I just ordered
SC5c II (another, the third one, gifted the first, plan on gifting the one I am holding),
SC5w II and
SC53c

The SC53c was a late call. I was messing around with my SC62c, and realized that while using my SC5c II, I completely missed that super low 0.01Lm mode, which the SC53c has... plus the same Cree XP-L2 EasyWhite emitter as SC5c II that I really dig.

But next to my SC62c, the tint of my current SC5c II does appear to have a green cast. Next to everything else, it looks yellow casted. I think this model might be haunted. But I do not mind.

Last night I was looking at all the models I have missed. I wish I could have scored an SC80c, Operating Voltage Range: 0.7V - 4.2V, so it ran on AA, CR123A, 14500, & 16340, of whatever chems are available. Incredible.
I'm familiar with the SC53c, but what's the SC5c?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
how stable does a aa zebralight maintain its brightness? does it dim fast as the battery depletes? im talking about alkaline battery's