The Official Zebralight Thread .

LRJ88

Enlightened
Correct. It's particularly noticable on my SC64w-HI that I EDC. I don't carry any of my others enough to get a sense of what effects it, but I can tell you it's happened on my SC53* as well.
My SC52F has been working perfectly since i got it apart from when it took a small tumble and seemingly landed just bad enough to mess something up inside, after it was sent off for service and i got it back it's been kicking along without any issues whatsoever, so i'm half wondering if it's something with the memory in the newer one having a hiccup and just resetting itself after power's been on for x amount of time.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SC64w Hi has a minor glitch.

Occasionally, when I click the switch to turn the light on to high from off, the light will turn on, but then after 1 second turn off again. This happens even when my finger isn't on the button when it turns off.

It's rare. At a guess, this happens once every thirty times I turn on the light. To fix, just wait a second then click the button again. The light turns on and acts normally.

I received it from the factory with this minor defect.

josekym

Newly Enlightened
Hello ZL users, I would just like to ask if there is official/non-official documentation on the ZL 19Hz strobe mode (for later models)? Is H1 the default level for it?

I observe that on my recent SC600w MK4 Plus and SC64w HI, the default strobe level is not H1. If you cycle from L1-H1, turn it off, then triple-click to strobe, you get the H1-level strobe output. However, when you remove the battery, the level resets to whatever default setting it is (but it is not H1 as far as I can tell, since it is dimmer). Happens on G5, G6, G7 as well.

This issue does not happen to my older MK3 HI and SC5w II. Both appear to me as using H1-level for 19Hz strobe.

Duster1671

Enlightened
My SC64w Hi has a minor glitch.

Occasionally, when I click the switch to turn the light on to high from off, the light will turn on, but then after 1 second turn off again. This happens even when my finger isn't on the button when it turns off.

It's rare. At a guess, this happens once every thirty times I turn on the light. To fix, just wait a second then click the button again. The light turns on and acts normally.

I received it from the factory with this minor defect.
I have a SC600w HI MkIV that does this in cold weather. And it doesn't even have to be very cold. I can replicate it reliably by putting the light in the fridge for a few minutes, but it also happens intermittently when I walk out the front door on a 30-40F night and turn the light on, after having stored it in a 60F house.

It comes on H1 for a second and then goes dark. If I click once, nothing happens, but then a second click turns the light back on. It's as if the driver is still running, just without pushing power to the LED. So the first click turns the driver off, then the second click turns it back on.

I corresponded with Zebralight about this and they blamed it on the battery. I typically use a VTC6 in this light that are, granted, a couple of years old. But they have very few cycles and their capacities and internal resistances haven't changed much from new. And they work flawlessly in other high-current lights.

I suspect there's a design flaw with the XHP35 HI boost drivers that causes this to happen sometimes. Maybe a component tolerance that's just on the edge of acceptable. But Zebralight sticks by their story that I need to buy new batteries every six months or whatever for this light to work reliably. Imo, a light that cannot tolerate a moderately aged battery with plenty of cycle life left has a design flaw.

dydx

Newly Enlightened
Same with my H600 MkIV... I'll try the double click next time. Same battery response from ZL. Thanks

geokite

Newly Enlightened
Same on my SC700d, but I'm always running the strobe on 4Hz. Haven't emailed ZL about it.

josekym

Newly Enlightened
Same on my SC700d, but I'm always running the strobe on 4Hz. Haven't emailed ZL about it.
I see. I tested 4Hz strobe and do not observe the above issue I have with 19Hz strobe. Even after battery change.

Maybe it is with the driver then? Or by design? So far, my older ZLs with the mode groups do not exhibit the same. They all use H1 level for the 19Hz strobe.

Also I am using the recommended Sanyo GA 18650 cells on all my ZLs.

Anyway and unrelated, I just recently dropped my SC64w HI onto granite tile from about 5ft... My light survived (although it now has little dents in the head and tail), and got my battery anode slightly dented as well.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight needs to get on the ball. SFT40, B35AM and XHP50.3 HI are such juicy emitters to use in EDC style lights.

I have a SC600w HI MkIV that does this in cold weather. And it doesn't even have to be very cold. I can replicate it reliably by putting the light in the fridge for a few minutes, but it also happens intermittently when I walk out the front door on a 30-40F night and turn the light on, after having stored it in a 60F house.

It comes on H1 for a second and then goes dark. If I click once, nothing happens, but then a second click turns the light back on. It's as if the driver is still running, just without pushing power to the LED. So the first click turns the driver off, then the second click turns it back on.

I corresponded with Zebralight about this and they blamed it on the battery. I typically use a VTC6 in this light that are, granted, a couple of years old. But they have very few cycles and their capacities and internal resistances haven't changed much from new. And they work flawlessly in other high-current lights.

I suspect there's a design flaw with the XHP35 HI boost drivers that causes this to happen sometimes. Maybe a component tolerance that's just on the edge of acceptable. But Zebralight sticks by their story that I need to buy new batteries every six months or whatever for this light to work reliably. Imo, a light that cannot tolerate a moderately aged battery with plenty of cycle life left has a design flaw.

Can you duplicate the problem with new batteries? Not that this is acceptable, but curious if you have tried this?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw on the news today that about 25% of online orders get returned, and the vendor cost and (fuel, manpower, and material) waste dealing with that is real. Can't help wondering if this is a factor with Zebralight, limiting available funds for development of future flashlights. We have read of members here buying multiple units to try similar models, or hoping to find a best 'tint'. The rest of us pay for that behavior. One opinion.

Duster1671

Enlightened
Can you duplicate the problem with new batteries? Not that this is acceptable, but curious if you have tried this?
To their credit, ZL did send me a fresh VTC6 at the time and the problem went away for a while with that battery. Since then the problem has come back and I gave up trying to figure it out.

I just remember to do a power cycle if it shuts off unexpectedly. Or program H1 down one level from max output. But that's kind of a bummer.

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
To their credit, ZL did send me a fresh VTC6 at the time and the problem went away for a while with that battery. Since then the problem has come back and I gave up trying to figure it out.

I just remember to do a power cycle if it shuts off unexpectedly. Or program H1 down one level from max output. But that's kind of a bummer.
huh, let me get this straight...

with a new battery, the problem goes away.

over time, as the battery wears/ages, the problem comes back.

interesting

Duster1671

Enlightened
AstroTurf - yes, that seems to be the case. A moderately worn battery in moderately cool (or colder) temperatures is the combo that causes it.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a H600 Mark IV and the strap came undone. Is there a video or decent tutorial on how to thread the headband through the buckles. I tried doing it intuitively but it never tightens and is always to loose. BTW I'm not even using the top strap as I never do them on any of my Zebralights

Duster1671

Enlightened
I have a H600 Mark IV and the strap came undone. Is there a video or decent tutorial on how to thread the headband through the buckles. I tried doing it intuitively but it never tightens and is always to loose. BTW I'm not even using the top strap as I never do them on any of my Zebralights
Here's a photo of mine that might help you decipher. It's upside down here:

Attachments

• PXL_20220114_233154638 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20220114_233154638 - Copy.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 90

fnsooner

Enlightened
Just ordered a couple of SC64c LE 18650 lights. I've been carrying an 18650 ZL since the SC60 of some sort. Didn't even look at anything else. I sure am glad Zebralight has stuck around. Quirky company. Great light.