The Official Zebralight Thread .

RegularGuy81

Newly Enlightened
I was hoping to see much more reviews, beamshots, side by side comparisons by now. I've held off purchasing and I think it'll stay that way.
I understand for sure. I am mostly scratching my head at the 600Lm rating. Seems incredibly low for a 18650. And given the legacy of the SC64c and w it might even be frustrating.

I'll still keep my order placed and plan to edc it. I will think of it as a SC53 with longer runtime rather than a backwoods/outdoor/"honey I heard something in the yard" light I was hoping for.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure the 660 lumens or so won't disappoint and from what I saw the beam and throw looks decent. However, I'm fine with 200-300 lumens for my uses considering I always carry an HDS.

660 does seem very low, especially for an 18650 light. I was hoping to see at least 1000 lumens. The SC64w HI is:

High: H1 1300 Lm (PID, 2.8 hrs) or H2 814 Lm (PID, 2.9 hrs)/467 Lm (PID, 3.2 hrs)/245 Lm (6.3 hrs)

That's impressive and for my uses with that light, I have no reasons to upgrade or purchase the new model at only 660 lumens

I need more reviews/testing and beam comparisons on this new model to justify the purchase

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys are comparing an XHP35 light to a 719a light. Very different emitters. One is a sledge hammer, makes throw by brute force but is pretty messy in the process. One is more finesse, much cleaner and "smarter" but doesn't have the same impact, at least on paper. They're supposed to be different. Use the one that fits your needs.

That aside, its a throwy light - did you buy it for lumens or lux?

RegularGuy81

Newly Enlightened
You guys are comparing an XHP35 light to a 719a light. Very different emitters. One is a sledge hammer, makes throw by brute force but is pretty messy in the process. One is more finesse, much cleaner and "smarter" but doesn't have the same impact, at least on paper. They're supposed to be different. Use the one that fits your needs.

That aside, its a throwy light - did you buy it for lumens or lux?
I guess I bought it as a non technical person. In a world of 1000lm+ 18650 lights I thought I would be getting a torch made be a small batch type maker...

Time will tell. 600 is still bright, I am not denying that. I am only saying that TO ME, non technical cave man, 18650 = crazy bright, 1 mile of range... just kidding about that. The old OLight Baton 3 I have that is 3 or so years old. I think it is like 1200Lms and almost 500 feet throw using a Cree XM-L2

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be totally fine with a 300 lumen output 18650 Zebralight, but I would expect the runtime on H1 to be very very long

Will the 660 lumen SC65 HI have almost double the runtime on H1 as previous 1000+ lumen SC64 models?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was hoping to see much more reviews, beamshots, side by side comparisons by now. I've held off purchasing and I think it'll stay that way.
it is too soon, give it time, very few people have received their light yet
only one I know of, also has the 64w Hi, but he is not a reviewer, no runtime charts, no side by side beamshots outdoors..

one reason there are no reviews, is that Zebralight does not offer review samples. Reviewers dont get the light in advance, they have to buy it with their own money, and wait for delivery.

The 65 makes a more intense hotspot per lumen, uses a more efficient driver, has higher CRI, and the tint is less green than the 64w Hi.

I would buy the 65 over the 64w because my first priority is High CRI. But Ive bought neither so far, because I have little need for a thrower...

Between the 65 and the new 53c N, I would buy the h53Fc N first.. because it suits my close range needs better... it has a wider hotspot. otoh, for running the dog off leash at the other end of a football field, the 65 would probably work better.. But I dont have a dog.. So, we will have to wait for someone else to do that test ;-)

SYZYGY

Enlightened
my dream ZL reviews would show runtime plots for each of the 12 output levels with luminous flux, voltage, current, power, and efficiency (luminous flux per unit power) curves. i.e {Φ_v, V, I, I*V, Φ_v/I/V} vs T.

maybe only levels 9-12 would need to be full runtime tests. much shorter tests would be ok for the midrange and low levels especially. you could calculate predicted runtimes pretty easily for those, but it would be nice to also take quick measurements for an input voltage corresponding to a LiIon with low SoC as well so you can compare the power draw and efficiency to full charge voltage. you could get a better runtime prediction that way for example, but it's also just nice to know.

just generally speaking, it would be great to know at the very least the initial power draw and light output on a fresh cell for all of the 12 levels. would even be useful for configuring your profiles on a new light you haven't used before.

Last edited:

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Opple 3
1 meter away (Lux = Candela)

SC65c HI

This is what I got...

Duv -0.0015
IMG_0266.PNG

IMG_0267.PNG

Medium M1
Duv -0.0011

IMG_0262.PNG

IMG_0263.PNG

IMG_0264.PNG

IMG_0265.PNG

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Level of confidence with these numbers?
I have no way to tell! What the Opple 3 read from 1 meter away. I think it's around what others have measured. I see no green in the beam, makes some other LED's look green on side by side. Each LED will probably look a little different if you have 5 lights shinning together...