Titanium Anodizing

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have a set-up to do titanium unfortunately...

I won't pretend to know the first thing about anodizing, so I'm jsut going to say it seems backwards that you can do something exotic like Titanium, but not plain old Aluminium lol.

I'll keep following your progress just in case :thumbsup:

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice

IMG_2968.jpg

Policecar

Newly Enlightened

From what you have shown above, this is my favorite by far.

I am also a fan of the textured anodizing like this. Any chance this could be done? If not I would gladly go with the option above for my 44DD.
38dd.jpg

theslippyslug

Enlightened
Texture is possible - I have some sample shells arriving soon and after some trials I hope to have good photos of what can be offered on the 44dd

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I don't have any anodized Ti lights that have been subjected to any abuse but I have carried the sapphire in my pocket most days and the finish shows no sign of wear

The sample strips I am using to test different techniques are a soft Ti and they have to be sanded with a coarse grit to remove the finish - this is essentially removing a thin layer of the metal and not something most Ti lights would need to deal with!

edit - ...your pm box is full so I can't pm you about prices :)
Okay, my inbox is open and I'm thinking about having a light anodized, maybe in the color of your user name.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow thanks to Steve of Veleno for letting me know of you amazing work.

I want to know if something like this is possible? Handle is Ti. ignore the blade. But the skull design is the same. But can it be done on something round like a Sunwayman V10 Ti with extender?

1253653317-Strider_TAD_Skull_PT_CC_4.jpg

I would like the varying colors to be in assorted greens and browns to give it a camo look.

theslippyslug

Enlightened
Couple of kuku's added to post one :thumbsup:

That strider is awesome, I think I might some technical issues doing the layers of masking on a ribbed tube...
I think a complex pattern like that - if done by hand - would need to be on a flat surface - or at least smooth and not ribbed... it would be easy for colours to bleed where masking goes over a ridge

I will have a play around overlaying masking and let you know how it goes

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
*impatiently waits for his host to come back from the coater so he can measure his mount points for a Titanium clip because the pictures in this thread just keep getting better and better*

:banghead:

theslippyslug

Enlightened
Post no.1 Updated with a double-dipped Olight transformer set that turned out rather nice... :D

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
What is the surface hardness of an anodized Ti product. Is it much harder than the Ti itself, say T6-4?

Bill

theslippyslug

Enlightened
I'm not sure Bill... I don't know how I would test it and all the googling I have done hasn't turned up anything on hardness...

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the surface hardness of an anodized Ti product. Is it much harder than the Ti itself, say T6-4?

Bill

The answer is that the hardness of the Titanium Oxide layer that is produced in the bright colors that are normally used on flashlights is not any harder than the underlying metal. Both can easily be sanded with superfine, i.e., 3-10 micron sandpaper. There is, however, another Ti anodizing process that develops Titanium Dioxide on the surface and it is, indeed, much harder. That type of anodizing is used on some medical implants, although they are usually highly polished. The color is a very dark gray--not a particularly different color from the multitude of black or natural anodized flashlights already on the market. :devil:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
While an anodized clip adds some beauty and fun to a serious titanium light, a complete anodization is totally crazy! :devil:

If you want a one of a kind light, have it anodized! I can't wait...

Here's a picture of my Gavina, done by Sabrewolf :

tn

Pic broken? For me it works both at home and in the office, here's the link :

http://de.sevenload.com/im/FROU8dm/700x700/tn

Last edited:

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pics broken...and I really wanna see it :-(

While an anodized clip adds some beauty and fun to a serious titanium light, a complete anodization is totally crazy! :devil:

If you want a one of a kind light, have it anodized! I can't wait...

Here's a picture of my Gavina, done by Sabrewolf :

tn

Latest posts