Titanium HDS... Would you buy one?

Would you buy a $1k Titanium HDS?

• Ouch! No!

Votes: 95 56.5%
  • YES!

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • I'd love to, but my wife would ax murder me in my sleep.

Votes: 38 22.6%
  • Damn You Hogo! Martha! Sell the children!

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've really enjoyed following this thread. Such passion! I wish I could afford to pay $1000 for a titanium HDS, what a lovely light that would be to own.

I understand that there are CPF members who would find it silly to spend $1000 on a light, just as I understand that there are CPF members who find it silly to spend $100 on a light. It's all a matter of perspective.

When I first came to CPF, the most I'd spent on a light was $25 for that magnificent technological wonder, the three D cell Maglite. How things have changed.

In any case, I sure hope that Henry goes ahead and produces this light, because I know it will not only sell out, but once it has, it will go up in value for those who had the means and the wisdom to purchase it.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a big fan of HDS lights and titanium, and would love to own one. I can't say either way because it would all depend on my financial status at the time they were available. At the moment I can't afford to pay attention therefore I can't check yes. I'm not checking no either.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first came to CPF, the most I'd spent on a light was $25 for that magnificent technological wonder, the three D cell Maglite. How things have changed.
I first visited this forum to see if there was anything better than a 2AA LED Mini Maglite on the market, and I was stunned by just how expensive high-end flashlights could be. I thought spending any more than $50 on "just a flashlight" was obscene. Now I consider around $200 to be my upper limit on what I'm comfortable spending.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Im not going to debate whether or not it is "ridiculous" to spend that kind of money on this flashlight because people can do what they want with their money but, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I dont see it as disrespectful myself and buying any frivolous item and talking about it on an open forum can open you to scrutiny.

Dude, I dont need to read flashlight forums for that info, I took metallurgy and manufacturing in college. Most companies use Ti-6Al-4V titanium which has both poor surface wear resistance and a low shear strength. This means that, when polished, it can actually scratch easier then a good type III anodized aluminum(but wont chip). Bare titanium threads will also see more galling and abrasion wear then type III coated aluminum threads. Then there is titanium's thermal conductivity which if far worse then aluminum causing drivers and emitters to run hotter shortening their life and increasing chance of catastrophic failure.

In most cases, titanium is an inferior material for use as a flashlights body. That is a fact. People buy it because of looks and the legendary status of it in the media(bragging rights). It is generally heavier then an aluminum body too(almost 2.5 x as heavy as 6061 T6) and the added strength is just not needed in this application imo. While there are many great uses for Ti, I think flashlights arent one of them personally. The only thing I prefer about Ti in a flashlight application is that it tends to suck the heat out of your hands less on cold days.

Ha, I only just saw this. I'm not going to bother arguing with you because its completely off-topic, but I certainly don't agree with you. js's thread in the McGizmo section is far more authoritative than anything you've mentioned and addresses all the points that you so amateurishly and often incorrectly express here about Titanium's use for a flashlight material.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
$1000 for titanium? Hahahaha! Oh, this was actually serious? Maybe if it was platinum or palladium.

IMO, I'd rather have the smooth, scratch-resistance of aluminum or stainless steel. I don't get the fascination with titanium. It has many disadvantages, and its only advantage is weight.

d13avo

Enlightened
Yes how about a stainless steel version. Looks similar, will be cheaper and it will be a lot heavier so my Mrs can hit me with it when she knows I've bought another HDS.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been a while since I looked to Henry's site. Last time I checked I priced the lowest HDS with a few accessories to $138 or $144 with shipping if I remember correctly. I looked again and now the lights start at $250. I know price of everything went up in US but I just can't spend that much on a light. So now $1000 light does not seem to surprise me. Ill have to pass.

How about this ? Make a light that is cheaper for the masses ? How about it Henry ? I have been talking about a Premier 1xAA for years on this forum and no manufacturer pays attention. Henry do me, maybe many others a favor and design a top notch 1xAA light. You know as well that the time is ripe given the advancements of LED.

I mean look, Surefire is making 1xAAA which will hopefully define the Premium AAA market.

A slick, tough 1xAA with say 3 levels with your craft priced say $100 to $150 may sell better than a $1000 light.

I personally amazed by Streamlight. Their new 3xAA lantern I think is a marvel of engineering. Their newest 1xAA/1x123 Sidewinder Compact II is also amazing . They are doing all this with AA format. What I am trying to say is that the advancement in LED technology does not have a Premium 1xAA or 1xAAA (maybe SF will be based on initial release) Currently the market is lacking a top of the line 1xAA.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
should have specifically targeted already hds or would-be customers.

Obviously anyone who would never buy an HDS anyway, and/or would never spend $1,000 on any light, aren't the ones they're asking here. But all of the no votes are irrelevant for that matter, the ratio, just whether there are enough yes votes to determine whether it'd be worth a run or not.

Come on guys, this ain't science of rockets here....the topic has been clarified a few times. No need for the back and forth and all the other nonsense.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about this ? Make a light that is cheaper for the masses ? How about it Henry ? I have been talking about a Premier 1xAA for years on this forum and no manufacturer pays attention. Henry do me, maybe many others a favor and design a top notch 1xAA light. You know as well that the time is ripe given the advancements of LED.

+1.

CR123 batteries ain't for me. There's no reason that 1xAA can't provide sufficient power for at least 150 lumens. Other brands do almost 400 lumens from a 1xAA Eneloop.

If it can be priced at $150 or lower, I think it would be a winner. At that price, I don't expect it to be EMP proof. :laughing:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
There won't be an AA anytime soon. However a 2xAA tube is coming out.

Just looked at the HDS website, the lowest HDS model is currently $149. Closeout. Get it while you can.

Last edited:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
There won't be an AA anytime soon. However a 2xAA tube is coming out.

just looked at the HDS website, the lowest model is currently $149. Closeout. Get it while you can.

What ? Where ??? :thinking:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love titanium. I own 4 Litespeed titanium bicycles that I paid a whole lot more for the frame than $1K each.

When it comes to lights, I've got lots of higher end lights, though no HDS models, I'm more into throwers.

Before I'd pay a $1K for an titanium EDC light, I'd put the additional funds to it and get a thrower like the XeVision LX-70.

I like what I've seen of HDS lights, appreciate good engineering and fine craftsmanship, but I use my lights and would be sick if I lost the light. Sort of like I felt when I lost a sterling silver Mont Blanc fountain pen.
[h=2][/h]