• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Titanium Makai

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

Any chance we could get a beamshot of an Aleph III seoul at the same distance and backdrop (and at around the same drive current)? I think this will help show how much the XP-G shines compared to a similar size package some of us are currently accustomed to.

Cheers!
Joel

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another amazing design from The McGizMan! :thumbsup:

Don, you are truly blessed with talent, surrounded by gorgeous environment & beautiful creatures (what turtle?)! I'm so jealous, I hate you too! :nana:

By the way, is that a frog or toad in your backyard shots? It must've been stunned by the bright lights, haha.

tshirley

Newly Enlightened
I am new to this can someone explain to me the advantage of 3s buck converter compared to the one that will be used in the first wave of Makai's. Thanks!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Joel,
I can't help you with a beam shot comparison. I have one Aleph 3 but I gutted it and used it as a proof of concept for the Makai program.I altered the reflector for use with the XP-G and it is the only reflector I have left.

:wave: flashlight! It's a resident toad who comes out every night on the lawn to feed.

tshirly,
The 3S Buck converter will be set for a higher drive level to the LED and also require a 2x123 power pak.

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

Despite having read the thread a number of times I don't seem to be absorbing the facts in the text too well for some strange reason :)

Are you saying there will be a 3S buck converter 2x123 version ? Sorry if I'm missing the obvious here!

tshirley

Newly Enlightened
London Lad

From what I understand the first wave of Makai will be single cell 123 then when Don perfects the 3s buck converter he will over the Makai in a 2x123 at a later time.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
London Lad,

If there isn't a Buck 3S 2x123 Makai offered, I don't know what I am going to do with all of the 2x123 McClickie paks I ordered and now have, in anticipation of such an offering. However, I have yet to receive pre production prototypes of the final design or been given any hint at how long it will take for the production run to come to fruition.

If I was only going to offer the Makai in the 2x123 format I would not have posted about the Makai at all yet because it is still vapor for all intents and purposes.

However the Makai 1x123 (or 2xAA) is a reality and will be available very soon. The only hold up is me getting some inventory built up which is in processes as I type. Because the 3S buck 2x123 is definitely planned I feel it would have been an injustice to you guys not to mention it when introducing the Makai in the 1x123 format. I am certain that some will choose to wait for the 2x123 as has been commented upon.

The Makai 1x123 with buck/boost 660 mA driver is a reality. The Makai 2x123 with buck ~1250 mA driver is anticipated.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
...The Makai 2x123 with buck ~1250 mA driver is anticipated.

It is never to early to start saving... I'm glad you announced it and I'm glad it'll still take a (little) while. Just be sure to have enough of them ready! :wave: :party:

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast
London Lad,

If there isn't a Buck 3S 2x123 Makai offered, I don't know what I am going to do with all of the 2x123 McClickie paks I ordered and now have, in anticipation of such an offering. However, I have yet to receive pre production prototypes of the final design or been given any hint at how long it will take for the production run to come to fruition.

If I was only going to offer the Makai in the 2x123 format I would not have posted about the Makai at all yet because it is still vapor for all intents and purposes.

However the Makai 1x123 (or 2xAA) is a reality and will be available very soon. The only hold up is me getting some inventory built up which is in processes as I type. Because the 3S buck 2x123 is definitely planned I feel it would have been an injustice to you guys not to mention it when introducing the Makai in the 1x123 format. I am certain that some will choose to wait for the 2x123 as has been commented upon.

The Makai 1x123 with buck/boost 660 mA driver is a reality. The Makai 2x123 with buck ~1250 mA driver is anticipated.

OK thanks Don, I understand now.

I'll be up for a 1 x 123 at 660mA just in case you get side tracked by your err.... 'photography' before you get round to the 2 x 123 light :)

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
London Lad

From what I understand the first wave of Makai will be single cell 123 then when Don perfects the 3s buck converter he will over the Makai in a 2x123 at a later time.

London Lad,

If there isn't a Buck 3S 2x123 Makai offered, I don't know what I am going to do with all of the 2x123 McClickie paks I ordered and now have, in anticipation of such an offering.
I am certain that some will choose to wait for the 2x123 as has been commented upon.

My intention is to go ahead with an immediate purchase of the Makai with a 2x123 body - run a 3.7 V AW 17670 single cell in it, then if I feel that I need more, see if I can upgrade the light engine when the buck converter is released. I expect that the Makai in the early configuration I have planned will be perfect!

But that's just me....but it's always great to have MORE POWER!:eek: :devil:

tshirley

Newly Enlightened
I could be interested in buying the original Makai 1x123 then upgrade to the 2x123 pack and a 3s buck converter. I am a novice to this hobby and wonder if I would be able to do the upgrade myself or would have to send the light back to Don? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I for one most definitely appreciate Don's honesty in the situation!

Unlike the past, I don't have the ability to be buying both versions these days and I am definitely interested in the 1250 mA version.

I now have the ability to start saving, and not buying something that I would otherwise hold off on (unless of cause it was a few months ago :p then I would buy one now, and later :D) until further versions were released.

:thumbsup:

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could be interested in buying the original Makai 1x123 then upgrade to the 2x123 pack and a 3s buck converter. I am a novice to this hobby and wonder if I would be able to do the upgrade myself or would have to send the light back to Don? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

You can definitely do this yourself. The light engines screw in and out of the head by hand. You don't really need any tools, but a small flat head screwdriver can be used in your aid. Don's line of Aleph parts are great in their lego-ability and ease of changing things (light engines, heads, body paks, etc.) around. The most critical part is making sure you know which light engine you have engaged in your head. The last thing you want to do is use 2x123 cells on a 1x123 light engine. This will fry the electronic converter in a second :poof: and be an expensive mistake.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Wave Notification Thread
:twothumbs

I don't want a Makai 1x123...

... I must wait for a Makai 2x123!!! :eek:

I mustn't buy a Makai tomorrow...

... I don't need a Makai right now!!! :broke:

I must resist, I have to be strong, there are CPFer who need this light more than me, I mustn't be selfish... must wait... patience... comes soon with 2 cells. May the Force be with me! :hitit: