Titanium Rotary

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbp

Flashaholic
I had one of the originals and loved it. I think I paid about $600 for it. I would pay that again, probably, but I can't do 1k. I hope these get made for the rest of you guys though!

Dirty wage guy

Enlightened
Been wanting one for years as well and +1 on that knurling KuanR. I'M IN! Just give me a little time to come up with the 1k. Lol I gotta sell some babies to make this one happen;)
Since this is such a special light, arguably the most anticipated light to my knowledge (no disrespect) and with the 1k price tag, would there be any chance Henry could somehow bump up the lumens to say... 500?
Forgive my ignorance and I certainty mean no disrespect to Henry and HDS as I hold them both in the highest regard and amongst the elite in the flashlight industry. I know that the 325 has been the max for quite some time and that may be due to voltage limitations with the rotaries circuitry, I'm not sure. Again, forgive my ignorance.
That said, what I do know is a Titanium rotary with 500 lumens would be a dream come true and to me worthy of said 1k price tag.
Please make this happen!

I know, what's the big difference between 325 and 500 lumens? At least I'm not asking for a triple... lol

Dirty wage guy

Enlightened
Will give lots of updates. I do try to pass along info as I get it, even if I'm a bit uncouth in doing so.
My guess is if it does happen, it may require a deposit or presale type of thing, but I would be responsible for the timeline. Not that I don't trust Henry for the timeline, but I don't trust Henry for the timeline.

You said "uncouth".. love it! Lol I remember my Mama saying that from time to time growing up:)

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original titanium clicky went for $650 in 2009 which would equate to about $740 2018 dollars. The standard clicky sold for about $199. Even with the price increase 3 years ago, the cost of just the basic manufacture has gone up considerably in part to using only the best basic materials we can source.
As an example, two weeks ago we sent out 4 purchase orders for some custom circuit boards to one of our vendors. Come to find out today, that this vendor, who is more of a broker, moved our order to a Chinese manufacturer. We were supposed to get those boards at the end of this week. As soon as we found out what they did... well, you think I was nasty in my OP? That was tame. Order was concealed immediately and we demanded they use the U.S. vendor with whom we have worked with for several years who has always gotten it right and is known to make the best boards. Their excuse was they thought we wanted the "best price". Basically we asked when have we EVER wanted the best price? We want the best QUALITY... and now we want it sooner! The delay is not a problem production wise as I made sure these were ordered BEFORE we ran out and with enough lead time for just this sort of tomfoolery.

This is one of the reasons a titanium run would be so costly. We won't skimp. Generally speaking, the more that can be made, the lower the price, but the simple production cost of doing a titanium run in the U.S. is quite exorbitant. Remember the Surefire Titan? Surefire lost hundreds of dollars with each light that went out the door. Yes, I'm evil enough that I laughed when I heard it... from a Surefire employee.

Anyway, from previous quotes and looking at production costs, we "think" we "might" be able to get a run done for the 1k price tag. Would be great if it could be lower, but I simply don't see it happening unless we skimp or go overseas, neither of which we will do.

I would expect if this were to come to fruition, they wouldn't be ready until Christmas (Hogo timeframe).

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, the lumen bump would probably be a no go. It has to do with keeping the drain on the battery safe and not killing runtime, and the way the current "elf" in the light handles things... but that's a totally different thread.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be definately in for a Ti Rotary. I should also be on Henrys list. I had a nice email conversation some time ago with him about a Ti Rotary :). But Henry told me a different price range, but he was only talking for a ~5 unit run. but I'd also be in for a price range for a ~5 unit run. 1K would be great, 2K ok... over 3K I would start thinking not getting a Ti Rotary.

Tell me when to pay... :paypal:

But a Rotary made of Plutonium would also be tempting.... :lolsign::lolsign:

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be definately in for a Ti Rotary. I should also be on Henrys list. I had a nice email conversation some time ago with him about a Ti Rotary :). But Henry told me a different price range, but he was only talking for a ~5 unit run. but I'd also be in for a price range for a ~5 unit run. 1K would be great, 2K ok... over 3K I would start thinking not getting a Ti Rotary.

Tell me when to pay... :paypal:

But a Rotary made of Plutonium would also be tempting.... :lolsign::lolsign:

Yes, a really short run (10 or under) is just mind numbing expensive.

The nice thing with a plutonium light is that you don't need to add tritium to it... it will glow in the dark on it's own!

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
This is one of the reasons a titanium run would be so costly. We won't skimp. Generally speaking, the more that can be made, the lower the price, but the simple production cost of doing a titanium run in the U.S. is quite exorbitant. Remember the Surefire Titan? Surefire lost hundreds of dollars with each light that went out the door. Yes, I'm evil enough that I laughed when I heard it... from a Surefire employee.

I remember the surefire Titan. In fact, I don't need to remember, because Surefire still makes the Titan. And the Titan was literally never a titanium light. It is made of aluminum with a black mil spec anodizing. Perhaps you are referring to the Titan Plus? That light is also still being manufactured by Surefire. It also has never been made from titanium. It is and has always been made of brass with a nickel plating. The old Titan T1A was aluminum. They made a limited run of 1000 Titans, maybe that's what you're referring to?

It's too bad that this thread is exclusively gauging people's interest in titanium lights and has literally closed the door to the possibility of finding out what would be the preferred material.

As far as the question about 500 lumens, one of the major problems with a titanium light is that titanium is a poor conductor of heat. And when you're pushing your light up to 500 lumens, you generate quite a bit of heat.

I'm curious if these will be made of grade 5 titanium or CP2.

Almost all makers will use grade 5, and it seems many people seem under the impression that grade 5 is "superior". However thermal conductivity alone is reason enough to use CP2. Any difference in "shearing strength" or "ultimate tensile strength" or any other measure of the materials "toughness, strength, or durability" is literally meaningless in a flashlight that is less than 5 or 6 inches long. Especially when the same light is virtually indestructible when it's made from aluminum.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the reason that this thread is just to guage interest in a titanium light and no other metal is because HDS are not interested in producing one in any ither metal. See post #1. They are literally wanting to know if there's enough people interested in a titanium light, they don't want a discussion. See post #1. That's what the main HDS thread is for.
P

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the reason that this thread is just to guage interest in a titanium light and no other metal is because HDS are not interested in producing one in any ither metal. See post #1. They are literally wanting to know if there's enough people interested in a titanium light, they don't want a discussion. See post #1. That's what the main HDS thread is for.
P

Exactly right. It's why the OP was so blunt to begin with because these ALWAYS turn into an invariable "wish list" which this is NOT. It is about one run of one material in one model of light at one cost. It would have been labeled "how many lumens do you want?" or "What material would you like your HDS made from?" or "How much would you like to spend?", and absolutely NONE of these apply here. Keeping a thread on track like this is like hearing cats. Even when it clearly states all I want to know is who is interested without caveats.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
And since this thread is about titanium, do you really think I was referring to an aluminum Titan?

Any flavor you want as long as it's titanium. ::Shrug::

Still wondering what flavor of titanium this light would use. "Titanium" isn't exactly the most accurate or specific description of a material. Kind of like saying "aircraft grade aluminum."

archimedes

Flashaholic
I remember the surefire Titan. In fact, I don't need to remember, because Surefire still makes the Titan. And the Titan was literally never a titanium light. It is made of aluminum with a black mil spec anodizing. Perhaps you are referring to the Titan Plus? That light is also still being manufactured by Surefire. It also has never been made from titanium. It is and has always been made of brass with a nickel plating. The old Titan T1A was aluminum. They made a limited run of 1000 Titans, maybe that's what you're referring to? ....

In typical SureFire fashion, the Titan model nomenclature has been confusing and inconsistent in terms of naming protocol.

There have been at least four distinct models called the "Titan" ....

• The (yes literally titanium) Titan T1-TI-WH-P numbered run (of 1000, I believe) , which was a CR2 continuously variable twist UI, long discontinued

• The Titan T1A-BK-WH , in black anodized aluminum, which was a CR123A continuously variable twist UI, more recently discontinued

• The Titan TITAN-A, in black anodized aluminum, which is a AAA two-speed sequential twist UI, currently available

• The Titan Plus TITAN-B, in nickel plated brass, which is a AAA three-speed sequential twist UI, currently available

Pretty simple really ... :sweat:

;)

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty simple really ... :sweat:
Correct, here the same answer for the more visual People:

HVOI88z.jpg

From left to Right: Titan T1, Titan Plus, T1A Titan, Titan-A

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Please excuse my ignorance but has a rotary mechanism been employed previously in an HDS? I'm not very familiar with the HDS family.

The reason why I ask is because, if not, in my humble opinion it would be advisable to test that the rotary mechanism employed is 100% reliable first.

I'd be interested if this is the case but would like to see a completed example before committing.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any flavor you want as long as it's titanium. ::Shrug::

Still wondering what flavor of titanium this light would use. "Titanium" isn't exactly the most accurate or specific description of a material. Kind of like saying "aircraft grade aluminum."

Ti-6Al-4V
I think Henry has a pretty grasp on what to use for the light he designed and built and knows the thermal properties of what will and won't be ideal.

Please excuse my ignorance but has a rotary mechanism been employed previously in an HDS? I'm not very familiar with the HDS family.

The reason why I ask is because, if not, in my humble opinion it would be advisable to test that the rotary mechanism employed is 100% reliable first.

I'd be interested if this is the case but would like to see a completed example before committing.

The Rotary has been out since 2010.

I believe we are still at 14.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
The Rotary has been out since 2010.

Since that is the case, I would be interested providing that the tail switch boot is recessed enabling secure tailstanding and the output could attain at least 500 lumens on the maximum level.
I know you said that this is not supposed to be a wishlist thread but I at least need to know some criteria like the above to be able to help me decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.