Titanium Rotary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since that is the case, I would be interested providing that the tail switch boot is recessed enabling secure tailstanding and the output could attain at least 500 lumens on the maximum level.
I know you said that this is not supposed to be a wishlist thread but I at least need to know some criteria like the above to be able to help me decide.

I might suggest you become a little more familiar with HDS lights (I don't mean that in a bad way so please don't take it as such). You can go to the HDS home page www.hdssystems.com (sight looks like a textbook train wreck... that is to say a train carrying textbooks that was derailed). Lot's of info on these right here on the HDS thread (no, you don't have to start at thread #1). And there is a plethora of info on the HDS Facebook page as well. Currently, there are a few emitter options (and a few more on a group buy some nutter is running in the group buy section). Current max lumen model is 325, and that will not change for the foreseeable future.

Folks either love them or hate them, or hate that they don't have them.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Ti-6Al-4V
I think Henry has a pretty grasp on what to use for the light he designed and built and knows the thermal properties of what will and won't be ideal.

I assume you meant to say a pretty firm grasp. Looks like that grasp is firm enough that I just slipped right through those fingers.

You don't need to be so condescending in all of your responses including the one you gave me about "Henry's" decision to use a less electrically and thermally conductive material. I'm sure he has reasons beyond the simple bragging rights of being grade 5 titanium. I'm sure he's had discussions about all of the available options. After all, he has the help of good open minded people like you. ;)

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
PS Grade 5 titanium isn't thermally ideal for anything except engineering a thermos. It's funny to me that you literally described grade 5 as being thermally ideal. Thank you for educating me. Here I thought that CP2 would be much more efficient at conducting heat.

Do you work for HDS?

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Since HDS are never overdriven, to maintain compatibility with levels of current able to be safely supplied by a CR123A primary without overheating, differential thermal conductivity between Ti alloys is largely immaterial.

Hey, how about we lighten things up with a nice photo ? ...

wCEtE3o.jpg

Yes, that is a legacy Ti Ra Clicky, but hopefully my photo may give some idea of the beauty of what may be :)

easilyled

Flashaholic
I might suggest you become a little more familiar with HDS lights (I don't mean that in a bad way so please don't take it as such). You can go to the HDS home page www.hdssystems.com (sight looks like a textbook train wreck... that is to say a train carrying textbooks that was derailed). Lot's of info on these right here on the HDS thread (no, you don't have to start at thread #1). And there is a plethora of info on the HDS Facebook page as well. Currently, there are a few emitter options (and a few more on a group buy some nutter is running in the group buy section). Current max lumen model is 325, and that will not change for the foreseeable future.

Folks either love them or hate them, or hate that they don't have them.

First to admit that I'm not familiar with HDS lights and no doubt that's a scourge on my flashaholic education! ;)

However when I first read long ago that at that time the models available (Basic/Pro) didn't tailstand securely (without wobbling), that really put me off. Its a bottom line for me that these lights have to tailstand. I don't wish to delve through all the info available before I know whether the proposed Ti Rotary ones will.

And while I'm very well aware that beam quality is more important than overall output (having admired McGizmo lights for just that reason), I must admit to being somewhat underwhelmed by a max of 325 lumens.

Undoubtedly the lights will be beautiful (as is the picture of the Ti Ra Clicky courtesy of archimedes) and I completely respect those who covet them. :)

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the work of moments to swap the raised switch button for a flush one. Then it can tailstand. Forget that - I'm talking Clicky, apparently the Rotary os a B*gg*r to change buttons.
There's stories of the Flush one puffing up a bit when atmosperic pressure changes and making the light wobble, Easy fix, open tail and balance pressures.
Never affected me though.
P

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Quote from 1st post "If you would purchase one, please just post below. If you wouldn't, just ignore this thread and move on. I'm trying to get a feel if a run is feasible or not.")

The way I understood it is only " Yes, I will take one" should be posted here. All questions and comments should be asked in the HDS thread or by PM This is what turned the other titanium HDS thread into a runaway train.

Just sayin....
:D Oh, and HOGO, " If you build it they will come! " :thumbsup:

easilyled

Flashaholic
(Quote from 1st post "If you would purchase one, please just post below. If you wouldn't, just ignore this thread and move on. I'm trying to get a feel if a run is feasible or not.")

The way I understood it is only " Yes, I will take one" should be posted here. All questions and comments should be asked in the HDS thread or by PM This is what turned the other titanium HDS thread into a runaway train.

Just sayin....
:D Oh, and HOGO, " If you build it they will come! " :thumbsup:

How can you say "yes" without knowing the specs of this run specifically? One would assume that since this is a special light that it may have features not covered in other threads and wading through huge amounts of posts without finding an answer is frankly a waste of time.

I would strongly recommend that the specs for this run are put in the OP in as much detail as possible.

Last edited:

moltenmag

Enlightened
How can you say "yes" without knowing the specs of this run specifically? One would assume that since this is a special light that it may have features not covered in other threads and wading through huge amounts of posts without finding an answer is frankly a waste of time.

I would strongly recommend that the specs for this run are put in the OP in as much detail as possible.

Understand where you're coming from. As I have questions too. But this is merely a thread to see how many are on board. Hogo and Henry just want to see if it's worth even considering. The specs and updates will come. I've done these group buys before and they are absolutely worth it. A titanium rotary is what fans of HDS have wanted for a looooong time.

You either are for it or not. Simple as that. Please don't ruin everyone else's chance in having one of these because you aren't interested enough to do a little research. I recommend watching Snare Man's video on YouTube that goes over the operation and explanation of the HDS Rotary. Arguing is a waste of time that will only delay the process.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

No doubt some would prefer specifics however, saying "I'm in" doesn't commit you to relinquishing your first born to do so. Past special runs have been widely successful and I suspect this one will be as well. Dan hasn't offered anything less than what he could provide and I'm willing to commit without reservation....wait a minute, I DID make a "reservation" now didn't I?? Let's call it my commitment to purchase. I'm comfortable with that.

Karl

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened

I agree 100%. I would literally never just blindly say yes I'll take it without actually knowing what it is that I'm saying yes to. Unspecified emitter choices, non-specific material descriptions, no information about if these are at all customizable like the HDS lights on the site, or if they will all come in one standard configuration, and just a generally rude overall tone from the initial post all add up to make this something I would certainly inquire about before ever agreeing to.

All of that information should be available in the original post in my opinion.

Dirty wage guy

Enlightened
I agree 100%. I would literally never just blindly say yes I'll take it without actually knowing what it is that I'm saying yes to. Unspecified emitter choices, non-specific material descriptions, no information about if these are at all customizable like the HDS lights on the site, or if they will all come in one standard configuration, and just a generally rude overall tone from the initial post all add up to make this something I would certainly inquire about before ever agreeing to.

All of that information should be available in the original post in my opinion.

Well said Sir.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since HDS are never overdriven, to maintain compatibility with levels of current able to be safely supplied by a CR123A primary without overheating, differential thermal conductivity between Ti alloys is largely immaterial.

Hey, how about we lighten things up with a nice photo ? ...

wCEtE3o.jpg

Yes, that is a legacy Ti Ra Clicky, but hopefully my photo may give some idea of the beauty of what may be :)

Truely a work of art.. I'll take one!!

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would literally never just blindly say yes I'll take it without actually knowing what it is that I'm saying yes to.

At the risk of sounding elitist or something, the most likely buyers of this flashlight already know those answers. If you follow HDS closely, recent developments in the factory lights as well as the happenings around the short-run group buys, then there really aren't any questions. Granted, putting those questions and answers in writing could help bring some more buyers into the fold so I'm not saying its a bad idea, I'm just pointing out that there are more than a few of us here who know exactly what Hogo is proposing even though its not fully spelled out. The info isn't here in this thread, but it is out there.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the risk of sounding elitist or something, the most likely buyers of this flashlight already know those answers. If you follow HDS closely, recent developments in the factory lights as well as the happenings around the short-run group buys, then there really aren't any questions. Granted, putting those questions and answers in writing could help bring some more buyers into the fold so I'm not saying its a bad idea, I'm just pointing out that there are more than a few of us here who know exactly what Hogo is proposing even though its not fully spelled out. The info isn't here in this thread, but it is out there.

Not elitist at all. Those were who this was specifically directed at. Nearly everyone on Page 1 is a known quantity, meaning I know them, they have participated in group buys, are active in the HDS thread, and when they say "yes" I know that they absolutely would buy one. Unknown quantities are suspect. I would only consider about 10% of the "yes" votes from them. No offense, but I've done enough group buys in the past to learn a few things. Being polite obviously isn't one of them.
It was also intentional not to put the emitter and specs in the OP as well as the known quantities would have no problem deciphering it. It was a feeler thread. That's all. If it does come to fruition, I will announce it in the main HDS thread, but don't expect that for some time if it ever comes. As far is this thread is concerned, I won't be back to it. It can officially be CLOSED.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well Hogo I appreciate what you are trying to do here and I'm sure all the HDS Junkies do to. You got a tough job.as I have already stated I want one and will wait patiently for you and Henry to decide what's what.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Well, we tried to keep on track in the most constructive manner possible. :ironic:

However, despite requests by the OP and similarly-minded responders for a tightly defined scope, some folks just can't or aren't willing to be cooperative.

Thread closed per request of the OP.
CPF staff can reopen if desired.
Best regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.