• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired TNT SingLED modules for Surefire incan E-series

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: TNT SingLED Nichia219 or XPG2 E-series modules/towers

Well, I was happy to see a package from IlluminationSupply as it had #28 wire in it, among other stuff... But then, bad news... the wire has the same outer diameter as #26 which is by 0.1mm thicker than planned hole in SingLED modules... I contacted Craig some time ago asking about details and he answered later on that he couldn't measure it being in a some kind of a mess so I took a chance and ordered grey wire from the site... I also contacted that fellow modder from Korea to see if he can hook me up with the wire he said he got locally, teflon #28 single core and he wasn't very helpful, basically just pointed me into IlluminationSupply's direction... So about 3-4 days ago I went on fleabay and found a dealer with good ratings and saw some wire in his offer that was more detailed... most importantly, the outer diameter (thus giving me an idea of the insulation thickness that gives, again, the idea of flexibility and ease of use)... so I have a rool of #28, white wire with single core, teflon insulated, silver plated coming my way... but it will be at least 7-8 more days until it's here... sigh... So Nichia 219 SingLEDs are being prepared day by day... almost every day I make 1 or 2 modules, I glued Nichia's on them already and they patiently await that thinner wire... it will be quite the collection by the time wire is here... Different story with XPG2 modules (have 3 ready so far, they are slightly different from Nichia219 modules)... they are still awaiting for a color tint that I will be satisfied with... Corona of the LED plays significant role with this SingLED/Surefire-E-bezel-reflector combo so until I get color tint that satisfied my eyes when complete, they are on hold... I have tried one color tint so far, have two different more on order and we will see which one will work (if any)... I don't want to see yellowish or greenish hotspot like I've seen with some of these before... That said, I do not see significant improvement in output when comparing XPG2 and Nichia219 in this setup... the spill is so big that difference would have to be MUCH BIGGER to see it and when it's about hotspot, only part of the beam is used to form hotspot and I believe 219 and XPG2 would have same intensity hotspot (have to do more experimentation on this)... the only reason I see why someone might chase XPG2 in this package is that they will be slightly cooler white tint compared to 4500K of Nichia's...
DSC08279x1_zps4b694cc5.jpg

Last edited:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

I GOT THE WIRE !!! It's perfect size and everything, real teflon... got to be carefull stripping it but it's as great as I needed it to be...

So far only 5 are carved for Nichia 219 LED so first five people who contacted me to reserve one will be able to snatch them... I do have few days of distraction this week in treatment center in neighbor country but will be able to fully concentrate to carving more of these at the end of the week... I still want to implement one small detail on them that will look and perform AWESOME and it should be done by the end of the week as well... These things are awesome...

Now once Nichia 219 start rolling out, I need to concentrate on XPG2 and get it straight w/o greenish or yellowish tint shift... then after that something else... XPE2 maybe (but I doubt the hotspot will be any tighter than Nichia219, just the opposite)...

Also, I got some drivers from FastTech that work on 3V... modes are High-Low-Strobe... if anyone want to use SingLED with Surefire E2O-AA body or on single CR123 battery, this could be interesting option...

As soon as I have these five Nichia 219 soldered and ready for shipping, I will update whole thread, get rid of that "proto" pic and put those beauties to shine... :)

Last edited:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

So after a fair amount of time of waiting... thanks to slow shipping of desired materials and few lost shipments, the final SingLED is READY... the Nichia219 got the final production look and first FOUR modules that were ordered and pre-paid are being shipped out tomorrow... I have about 6 more carved, some for XPG2, some for Nichia219 and within next 4-5 days I'll contact members who said they would be interested...

If I for some reason missed you but you expressed the interest, please don't get mad... My previous couple of weeks were rather hectic... just PM me again and/or post here...

I also have a plan to make an interesting one for myself that others might like as well... it would be a SINGLE MODE, LIMITED-CURRENT DIRECT-DRIVE... basically use the AMC7135 based driver but leave one 350mA chip on it and REMOVE the chip that cuts of the power when voltage is below 2.8V (if it's possible)... This module would be a PERFECT replacement for E1E's incan lamp... it would provide loooong runtime with more output than stock lamp with slow tapper towards battery end... This driver would only work great with primary cells (CR123) but once done I need to test with Li-Ion... however, it would not have low-voltage cut-off to protect Li-Ion to be over-discharged... that's why primaries would be perfect for this setup... Nichia's output at 350mA @ 3V is around 100 lumens at the emiter... so about 80 OTF lumens on fresh cell and runtime of at least 4 hours (but maybe double that) compared to 15 lumens and 1 hour runtime of incan lamp on E1E...

Last edited:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hm... forgot to add pic of final product from business side...

hockeypuck08

Newly Enlightened

Tana,

Per PM, Paypal sent for an XPG2 dropin. Looking forward to it!

(Unique Transaction ID # 5EJ89654HN104342V)

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tana,

Per PM, Paypal sent for an XPG2 dropin. Looking forward to it!

(Unique Transaction ID # 5EJ89654HN104342V)

Thanks Ed... I arranged something for Saturday so it will probably go then... Will let you know tracking # via PM...

wasteoid

Newly Enlightened
Well my package arrived this morning, and I have been waiting with patience all day. Got home and the dog has managed to roll in sh*t so got distracted by hosing her off - and completely forgot, until my magic misses reminded me I had a package from Bosnia.

Queue the spyderco and some frantic hacking and slashing.

Tarik has really packaged these tight in clear plastic and tape. The single led tower had a tightly wound roll of paper to protect the tower inside the package and arrived in pristine condition.

My first thought was to fling it in a head and go. So stuck it in the head that I have had no bulb for, since blasting it with RCR's in my early days of flash'aholism. Turned it on and was totally confused at the interface at first - then remembered it has memory and three modes. My fb1 wasn't really cutting it with switching modes so have had a shuffle and lego'd into an original e2e on a 17670 cell. Now with a surefire switch it cycles through modes flawlessly and the memory holds the last setting perfectly.

Having had only a few minutes in the garden, with the dogs this evening - I am well please with the tower, and I will do an update when I have used it for a while, meantime it is fantastic whilst white wall hunting ;-)

Thanks Tana - I have to say this has been a flawless transaction with a genuinely nice guy.

Chris

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Chris... all the correspondence was a pleasure to have with you...

As for battery preference, I always recommend IMR even for 1A SingLEDs... the driver has it's voltage cut-off point at 2.8V so the battery is safe in this setup... I've noticed that it can work even with fresh CR123 primary battery (I keep primaries in my shelf queens) but as the voltage goes down a little, the modes start acting weird... I'm guessing with older RCR's would do similar if they are not fresly charged...

All the best from Bosnia...

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tana, I'm interested in a single mode Nichia 219 tower that has decent runtime (approx two hours on 1xCR123).

Would you be able to build a single mode tower that ran at approximately 750ma?

Thanks!

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tana, I'm interested in a single mode Nichia 219 tower that has decent runtime (approx two hours on 1xCR123).

Would you be able to build a single mode tower that ran at approximately 750ma?

Thanks!

Oh, yeah... I've built few with High reduced to 700mA... In that case it would run for 2hrs on high with two primaries (or on 17670 battery in E2E)... it can be single mode or 3-mode... even 5-disco mode but I don't think many people would want that...

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, yeah... I've built few with High reduced to 700mA... In that case it would run for 2hrs on high with two primaries (or on 17670 battery in E2E)... it can be single mode or 3-mode... even 5-disco mode but I don't think many people would want that...

Ah, sorry, forgot to mention I'm looking for one that would work in a E1E. Is it possible to do a single mode unit, 700ma, that would handle both a single primary or a single li-ion?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
One possibility is to machine the tower to use a 14mm driver instead of the more common 17mm driver. To run either a 3V 123A primary or a 16340 Li-ion, probably a boost-buck GD700 from the Sandwich Shoppe would work.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, guys... the only driver that I'm using for now are these linear, 1/3/5 modes with memory, 2.8-6V... the closest that I'll try to make when I get simpler single mode version is to strip polarity protection and leave one AMC7135 regulator for 350mA output... at 3V w/o 0.6V drop that protection usually makes, it should be a direct replacement of MN01 bulb for E1E and it should provide a longer regulated runtime with very nice output (110 lumens at the emitter, about 80 OTF) and then after few hours even longer but nice dimming until battery is completely drained... should be a nice battery vampire...

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, guys... the only driver that I'm using for now are these linear, 1/3/5 modes with memory, 2.8-6V... the closest that I'll try to make when I get simpler single mode version is to strip polarity protection and leave one AMC7135 regulator for 350mA output... at 3V w/o 0.6V drop that protection usually makes, it should be a direct replacement of MN01 bulb for E1E and it should provide a longer regulated runtime with very nice output (110 lumens at the emitter, about 80 OTF) and then after few hours even longer but nice dimming until battery is completely drained... should be a nice battery vampire...

That would be great! Please keep us posted when you're ready to ship

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got it... will let you know tracking # in a few days...

Klaatu... verata... n... Necktie... Nectar... Nickel... Noodle???

From the movie "The Day The Earth Stood Still" Although Klaatu Veritas Necktie works. May have to change that. :)