• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

TOOLvn- Best IMR10440 Clicky of 2015

thedodgedud

Newly Enlightened
I received my Tool CuVN this week - love this little light.
I would probably make it my regular carry at work, if it didn't get so hot. (The temperature doesn't bother me...but I sometimes use my light as a transilluminator) I suppose I could change the mode - it would probably produce enough light at 50% - but then I'd have to deal with a bunch of power levels I don't want. It's small enough that I could probably just add it to what I already carry...but a third light in that environment seems like overkill. (Tube VN on my ID lanyard, and an Olight for general purpose & transillumination)
Try the 1-30-100 setting. You will be surprised at how much output it still has at the 30 level. I think it's mode 9....can't remember for sure though

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose I could change the mode - it would probably produce enough light at 50% - but then I'd have to deal with a bunch of power levels I don't want.

maybe one of the modes with memory, would help make it more useful for you, try #11

mode #11 could also eliminate your need to carry the TubeVN :)

Last edited:

hhmoore

Newly Enlightened
6 modes in my work environment is unnecessary...and, for me, undesirable. I currently have my Tool CuVN set at 2 modes - 30% and 100%, with memory. I haven't tested it for transillumination at 30%, yet; but I will when I go back (Off for a week).

I don't "need" to carry the TubeVN at work, as I generally have a small light in my pocket; but having it on my ID lanyard is very convenient - the weight is negligible, most people don't notice that it's there, and it is readily accessible.

I did have one issue with the Tool yesterday morning - it failed to turn on. Full click - nothing. Tried a couple more times, still nothing. Everything tight. Removed & reinserted the battery, and it came right on...I've used it probably a half dozen times since with no repeat of that.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
glad youre exploring mode options with Memory
I can understand that 6 modes is overkill for your needs, but if the 30% is not enough to transilluminate, there is a 50% mode with memory in the 6 mode group, as you know.

my tool has never failed to turn on, sorry to hear you experienced that, and hope it does not happen again. Sounds like possibly a weak spring making poor contact pressure at either end. Not sure if stretching the spring slightly could help. I dont have a VN model, maybe yours already has a double spring, or would benefit from it. I speculate the heat of operation on high could have altered the spring pressure.

Im not the expert, and would definitely seek guidance from Vinh. And I would expect he will ask what your battery voltage is. Ive heard of people having batteries fail on high, and still work on lower settings. I suspect drained batteries in need of recharge in their case, though that may not be the cause of your failure to turn on. Making it no less disconcerting.. I hate reliability mysteries, until they are solved :)

enjoy your break from work.. and I hope the 30% memory mode proves effective for your application.

Joeymt3

Enlightened
Vihn,

Can you do a UV version of this light? We use black lights a lot at work and it would be great to have a pocket UV light that was bright. Right now I carry a Streamlight Multi Ops. It's UV light is bright enough for my use but it's not a pocket light.

ohanacreek

Newly Enlightened
Just picked up my ToolVnCu what a bad-a light, so small and so stinking bright, it's a great replacement for any of the three streamlights I rotated through. They are now spares, Way smaller.

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
Unreal....about to leave the shop and get home for pictures and praise. This noisy cricket keeps up with the P12.....Couldn't imagine that until I seen it. Goes great with my micro theme lately. 18650 for reference

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
that is micro...

Unreal....about to leave the shop and get home for pictures and praise. This noisy cricket keeps up with the P12.....Couldn't imagine that until I seen it. Goes great with my micro theme lately. 18650 for reference

Joeymt3

Enlightened
Vihn,

Can you do a UV version of this light? We use black lights a lot at work and it would be great to have a pocket UV light that was bright. Right now I carry a Streamlight Multi Ops. It's UV light is bright enough for my use but it's not a pocket light.

Hey @vinhnguyen54, did you see this?

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
Hey @vinhnguyen54, did you see this?

Custom orders are typically emailed. Just trying to be helpful. vinhnguyen54 is very busy and will check his email before here I would assume. I believe his email is in the first few posts.

Good luck, love the customer light possibilities

hhmoore

Newly Enlightened
I did have one issue with the Tool yesterday morning - it failed to turn on. Full click - nothing. Tried a couple more times, still nothing. Everything tight. Removed & reinserted the battery, and it came right on...I've used it probably a half dozen times since with no repeat of that.
Unfortunately, this happened again.
When it didn't come on, I half clicked it to see if it came on at the lower power - nothing. A couple of token clicks; then I twisted loose , and tight again...after which, it worked for the rest of this night without issue.
I might have to send this in to have Vinh check it out.

HarleyXJGuy

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately, this happened again.
When it didn't come on, I half clicked it to see if it came on at the lower power - nothing. A couple of token clicks; then I twisted loose , and tight again...after which, it worked for the rest of this night without issue.
I might have to send this in to have Vinh check it out.

Best to do that.

He will make it right as you probably already know.

HarleyXJGuy

Newly Enlightened
This light has spoiled me for EDC. Nothing else is in the same league when it comes to size vs output still rocking the VN drivers ability to choose settings.

Had it out at work the other day and someone was like "What kind of Surefire is that?" lol.

ven

Flashaholic
The efest 10440 is a pretty good option, can't say best ......not exactly spoilt for choice either!

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I saw Vihn scrolling through the modes of one of his lights (like zebralight UI) w drivervn2 installed. Like how you hold down the button and it cycles from low med high. Am I mistaken or can you do this with the Toolvn as well?