Tri-Lobe reflector concept for CREE LEDs

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool.. i was wondering if you meant mine.. yeah development stalled when i realized the problem with the focal point.. i hadn't thought of the cracked reflector concept 'til a year later, and never re-visited this PR adapter idea.. I dig seeing the parallel thoughts that pop up on cpf. After the advent of the high-stipple reflectors.. it could be quite likely that such a PR assembly actually would work just fine.. anybody have any experience trying? (newbie.. you ever use your 3-part LED in just a big stipple reflector vs the split one?)

-awr

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice findings, and nice renderings guys !

The development of these Crees should go fast
with all this contribution...

Cheers !

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes it is (SE).. but was just a thought.. my idea was use a big enough reflector that you can collect that output. a high-dome emitter on the top would turn all into flood which would be nice for a close-up light.

Me and another cpf member had an even more interesting design for multi-emitter solution but it's still under wraps.

-awr

greenLED

Flashaholic
It's refreshing to see a technical thread (even with resurrected concepts). :twothumbs

What ever hapenned with PEU's tri-lobed reflector? I remember seeing him post about it a while back but now I can't find it.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
enLIGHTemnemt,

Yes, that is the kind of optic solution I would like to see. I have no idea of the physical size required for reaasonable photon management but I do suspect that the cost of optics as well as engineering and manufacture of a host for the lens elements as well as adjustment of them is not trivial. I also think you would have what one might call a precision instrument there and not a rough and tumble flashlight up so some good knocks.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
It's refreshing to see a technical thread (even with resurrected concepts). :twothumbs

What ever hapenned with PEU's tri-lobed reflector? I remember seeing him post about it a while back but now I can't find it.

Funny you mention my reflector concept, I almost gave away the design because I wasnt able to find a metallizer here in Buenos Aires, but after founding nil for about 3 months I found 3 in less than a week :green: I plan to aluminize them and then do some tests.

One thing I can say about the ncluster, it looks nice but the working part of each reflector ends when they met the next to the side, thats why I did a different and taller one.

Here is the link to the ncluster reflector

Regarding the McGizmo/Newbie idea, it sounds nice, but Im interested to know the percentage of the light that is wasted on the bottom non reflectored part, luckily seems to be not much :)

Pablo

greenLED

Flashaholic
PEU said:
Regarding the McGizmo/Newbie idea, it sounds nice, but Im interested to know the percentage of the light that is wasted on the bottom non reflectored part, luckily seems to be not much :)
Could the pedestal and HS base be metalized as well? ;)

Looking forward to your design as well!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've posted the following poorly worded and poorly constructed thought elsewhere:

I've mentioned a few times that an Internal Reflection Optical Device might be designed with multiple inputs.

In the hole of a common IROD is a refraction lens that directs the rays to the correct angles to reflect off of the side walls of the main optic forward. Of course, this is taking advantage of indices.

I think the challenge in designing a multiple input optic would be to alter the multiple refraction optical lenses to correctly direct the rays. If this were successfully designed I believe the rays from each of the emmiters would be adequately mixed and result in a beam void of fringe colors.

Take it a step further. Have all the emitters seperately driven so their output can be adjusted to get the color mix you want.

Take it a step further. Design the optic so that the output side was not flat but coned with a tiny dome shape or side emitter shape on top. A de-collimating design element if you will. Insert the tip of this whole rig into a parabolic reflector for a single, almost point source.

Now you have the light from 3 or 4 LEDs being emitted from one source directed forward by the reflector.

I think it's a viable idea. It needs a needs a couple of PHDs in optics and a couple of optical prototypers along with a large bag of money to come to fruition.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
umm.... reflector and IROD works differently.

IROD works on internal reflector becuase of the whole critical angle thingy.

reflector just uses the ye old reflection

yes, i agree on your point that a IROD that can combine different colour into 1 is damn expensive, that is why they offer those tri optic where they are 3 different optic.

of course, the fringe colours will be there....

but a diffusing filter will solve that nicely for a flood light.

for a throw light....OUCH.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
chesterqw -

Thanks for understanding this poorly worded concept.

So yes, a ye ol' reflector causes one change in ray angle, a typical flashlight IROD causes four changes in ray angle and this IROD/reflector concept would cause nine changes in ray angle. With dedicated emmiter control within an IC, target color might come close to be achieved. With the last design element of the IROD being a tiny shape seeking point source, it's possible the resulting photon management system would be focusable or at least focused.

This is an enjoyable discussion. Comments, proposals, computer generated prototypes, physical prototypes and physical iterations shared amongst interested and interesting members.

CPF still rocks.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
imagine a flashlight that was create by CPF...

i think the US army will be jealous :p

and then they will start to copy the design...

of course, we could always patent it and sell the patent to them :p

and we will have WAY WAY WAYYY better servers :)

luminari

Newly Enlightened
McGizmo said:
:thumbsup:

3-Shooter.jpg

Is this heatsink + reflector for sale or planned for production? I was just thinking about this last night and came across this thread by accident!

Any suggestions on what wavelength RGB LEDs to use?

:takeit: