• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Triple v5 R33 Engine - 4th LED, 30w limit, Screen Programable, Dual Mode Groups

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
1. Can you explain the difference between regular mode memory and hybrid mode memory and the advantage over one or the other? I have a Maratac light with a mode memory that remembers the mode you were on if you turn it off for 5 seconds-- I'm guessing regular mode memory is like this? How is the hybrid different?

The guys did a great job with this one (thanks guys!), so I'll just add that our design goals always include predictability. If you don't know how your light will behave from one second to the next, you could get left in the dark. There are different approaches to hybrid, but we believe this one leaves you knowing what to expect. Even if you forget which mode you last used, your only 2 cycles away (including ON) from certainty.

2. If we miss this week's remaining round how bad will the wait be for the next batch? Are we looking at another 7-8 months?
The time between the last shipment in January and the first shipment in June was not spent on production. It was spent on development of an all new board*, including creating the new mode memory you see in the video above (April). Development is complete, so all we have to do is get the correct parts in the correct place at the correct time. This alone is still a lot of work but not 6 months of work. With a bit of luck, the second shipment of boards will arrive in a matter of weeks and be installed into heads shortly there after.

* making a new board this amazing from scratch included hundreds of steps over thousands of hours. By rights, it should have taken a year. Only the diligence of some dedicated dudes made this release this soon possible.

Last edited:

Univtex34

Newly Enlightened
To help keep you safe, we've included a sensor that detects reflections. Turning off white output when too much light comes back at your flashlight. Say for example it comes on at full power while in your pocket. But it also switches to red when doing so. This effectively gives you a 9th mode (4+4+1), say if you want a red shortcut or if none of your 4+4 modes are red but you still want to have red available. Turn high mode on while covering the front - instant and constant red until you switch off your light.

So this was listed in the Insider email, but I cannot get the red to come on. I've turned the light on high, while placing all manner of things in front of the head, and the red never activates.

Univtex34

Newly Enlightened
Just reprogrammed mine. Went with RedLMH, with Hybrid memory. Gonna use it for a few days, and see how I like it.

Hybrid memory is so money.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
So this was listed in the Insider email, but I cannot get the red to come on. I've turned the light on high, while placing all manner of things in front of the head, and the red never activates.

Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't sure everyone would like it so its off by default. Programming was supposed to be easily available so it would be be easy to self activate. If programming isn't available soon, please send us an email to discuss options.

Last edited:

Univtex34

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't sure everyone would like it so its off by default. Programming was supposed to be easily available so it would be be easy to self activate. If programming isn't available soon, please send us an email to discuss options.

I have access to the programming, what do I need to select to get it activated?

Edit: never mind, it is the bounce setting, I'm going to play with it now. Thanks!

Univtex34

Newly Enlightened
So the bounce setting is quite interesting. Took me about 15 tries at programming, to get to a setting that I liked. 75 is the value I settled on. Doesn't activate too soon, but still actually activates when light is reflected back.

Felt like there was a huge drop off while trying to find the sweet spot. Anything higher than 76 and red activated immediately, but anything lower than 74 and red never activated.

Very interesting.

LOVE MESSING WITH THE PROGRAMMING.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello guys,

Regarding the switch choice for these engines:

When these are used with a McClicky, there is some resistance introduced into the circuit.
This will reduce runtime a small amount.
However, full output is maintained because of the high efficiency boost regulator.

5A is at the upper limit of the McClicky, but I have not had any issues.

The ZeroRez family is a good option for those who prefer that.

Last edited:

Dingle1911

Enlightened
Thanks for the switch options clarification. I had just assumed that a McClicky wasn't an option. It is nice to know that it is.

Shurock

Newly Enlightened
Scored a V5! My 18650/2600 does not work. What are my battery options? I have the Moddoo tube and triad tail-cap. The V3 head works on it fine. Thanks!

Also, is there a website I can go to program the light, that does not charge money to do it?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Scored a V5! My 18650/2600 does not work. What are my battery options? I have the Moddoo tube and triad tail-cap. The V3 head works on it fine. Thanks!

EM Sent

Also, is there a website I can go to program the light, that does not charge money to do it?

We are working with LUX now to make this easy. Please stand by for an announcement.

Last edited:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question...what are the V5 heads currently programmed with? I have 2 and they are both DLMH. How would I know the current levels? Thanks! Having a blast with these!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Question...what are the V5 heads currently programmed with? I have 2 and they are both DLMH. How would I know the current levels? Thanks! Having a blast with these!

Each of the 8 (4+4) modes can be configured from

• 1 of 33 white levels
  • red
  • strobe
  • SOS
  • red/white beacon

Each level has a number (and specs) but for simplicity, we chose 4 levels from among them:

1 cell
NameLetterLevel #Power
MiliwattsLumensRuntimeStretchtime
redR6tbd
dimD10.005%1.50.18tbd
lowL140.6%1802023h
mediumM2110%300034693m91m + 16m
highH2855%1700019338m7m + 18m

2 cell
NameLetterLevel #Power
MiliwattsLumensRuntimeStretchtime
redR6tbd
dimD10.005%1.50.18tbd
lowL161.4%4004623h
mediumM2422%650075860m58m + 21m
highH33100%30000349810m8m + 36m

Every light/head is built to order and programmed to order. Configurations from the letters above are available in the options menu of the OR order page. DLMH is the default and will be configured if no others are selected. Compare the letter and level columns above to determine power, lumens, etc.

Last edited:

jd1911

Newly Enlightened

Maybe the letters (DLMH in your case) correspond to the letters used in the chart in post #12 of this thread, it includes figures for Power, Miliwatts, Lumens, Runtime, etc. Its the same one that OR lists on their site for the "MODDOOLAR HEAD TRIPLE V5 WASP (30W)".

ETA: took me to long to type, EG already answered

Last edited:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. First light I received I did not have the options to choose since it was a replacement/upgrade. I was viewing all the programing and didn't think to look back and find corresponding number levels. Really excited to dive into the programming!

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
So now looking at your post, the 219 output is the same on a single cell as the XP-L?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
So now looking at your post, the 219 output is the same on a single cell as the XP-L?

Sorry for the confusion, the chart is based on XPL numbers all the way across.
219 has the same power levels for 1 cell: 1/14/21/28
219 has 2 cell power levels that are close to 1 cell: 1/14/21/30
Level 30 (21w) is about 1500 lumens but we have not tested this LED as thoroughly.
I'll be updating the Head page with 219 values as we complete them.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the confusion, the chart is based on XPL numbers all the way across.
219 has the same power levels for 1 cell: 1/14/21/28
219 has 2 cell power levels that are close to 1 cell: 1/14/21/30
Level 30 (21w) is about 1500 lumens but we have not tested this LED as thoroughly.
I'll be updating the Head page with 219 values as we complete them.
OK, thanks for clarifying!

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going with single cell 18350, modes 2/12/18/28, no memory, battery protect, battery stretch, 86 sense today!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my LUX-RC refund yesterday. I'll pick up the Wasp in the morning, and will program it tomorrow.

In anticipation, I carried the 219B v4.1 Wasp every day of the week, with either TL34 or TL65 (with an 18650).