UK CPF Meeting in South - Here we go!

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I've posted quite a bit in the Central UK meeting thread started by Scythe_rr and thought I'd start one for more Southern approach. I'd love to get a meeting together sometime soon!

I recently went to The Devil's Punchbowl in Hindhead, Surrey, just off the A3 and I think it would be great for a meet up. It offers parking and facilities to accomodate all our likely needs, without being miles from anywhere.

Parking: the National Trust Park is open 24hrs as is the Car Park ( £2 all day ). There are picnic tables and chairs nearby, and the trail around the punchbowl is 30 yds away - we can shine our lights away to our hearts content without disturbing anyone here!

Car Park and NT cafe:

2558697279_951f109601.jpg

2558696153_517fc5e384_m.jpg
The cafe probably won't be open at the times we might arrive but over the road is The Devil's punchbowl Hotel which is not a bad pub and hotel with good pub food and freindly owners.
Meet there? Eat drink there?

2559525848_de6f94ae57.jpg

The trails to the South downs are next to the pub, leading up to Gibbets Hill which is the highest point for miles. Really test out the throwers there! The elevation of Hindhead means that the top of the hill is only a 40 metre climb. The paths are well kept and easy even I can do them. The views are great and we could even go down a steep path to see the tunnel works for the new A3 ( think Dr Evil's industrial excavations).

2558699729_e76cd560c2.jpg

Trig point at top of Gibbets Hill

2558698617_6d8df92bcf.jpg

A view not far from Pub!!

The nearest rail is Haslemere and I could easily arrange to pick up people there and ferry them.

I think this would be fun!

Many people expressed an interest in the other thread, tentatively. Please post here and we'll try to get this going sometime in the next few weeks!

I'll keep a list here in this post as and when peeps post ( If?)

This is happening on July 12th 2008 time TBD.

Interested Parties who will attend:

Nyctophiliac.
Petrev.
cdsorun.
Kooter.
orb.
branny.
Mad 1
erasmus
Grox
Tempest UK
Raoul_Duke
Jarl
BLUE LED

Be lucky...

Last edited:

cdosrun

Enlightened
Hi Lee,

you really have done your homework on this one!

I am definitely in and likewise will be more than happy to pick people up en route. The only date I can't make is 19th July at the moment so any of the earlier ones should be fine.

Andrew

Windscale

Enlightened
Nyctophiliac,

Please do remember to PM me your address so I can send a little something over to give you chaps some extra boost even if less than 15 of you shall attend the long awaited gathering.

I will go down to the shops to have a look at the latest Chinese lights, some of which are very well built and have reasonably good runtimes.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wave: Lee, Good to see a more direct approach in a get-together.
I will try to make any date decided upon. :thumbsup:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheers chaps for such encouragement and positive responses.

Looking forward to meeting you all very soon.

Any more for the Devil?

Be lucky...

Windscale

Enlightened
Nyctophiliac,

Thank you for your PM. I already have a few lights in mind. As soon as your date is fixed I shall have the package flying. My offer shall lapse if the gathering is not materialized this time.

Regret cannot join you chaps. Perhaps on a later occasion.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't worry, Windscale. We're not letting this one get away!

If I'm the only one who turns up, I'll just have to convert a few locals to the delights of wanging the old torches about in the dark and startling the owls!!!

After all, longest day is coming on the 20th and then the nights just get longer and darker!!!!!

Gentlemen ( and ladies etc.) Charge your batteries and prepare for the social event of the year!

Be lucky....

Windscale

Enlightened
Don't worry, Windscale. We're not letting this one get away!

If I'm the only one who turns up, I'll just have to convert a few locals to the delights of wanging the old torches about in the dark and startling the owls!!!

After all, longest day is coming on the 20th and then the nights just get longer and darker!!!!!

Gentlemen ( and ladies etc.) Charge your batteries and prepare for the social event of the year!

Be lucky....

I have just been to the shop and bought a light (and the bits and pieces to go with it). Now it is up to you chaps to see if you can stick your fingers out and claim it! If it is not claimed, yours truly would be taken to have treated himself to it! I like it very much myself!

I would let you have the exact description of the bounty once you have fixed your date for the gathering.

So, get it moved on.

soapy

Newly Enlightened
Where's the Devil's Punchbowl then? It's got to be a long way south, or you'd never describe that photo as a hill!

Google Maps reckons it is in Malvern, but Wikipedia says it is in Surrey.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where's the Devil's Punchbowl then? It's got to be a long way south, or you'd never describe that photo as a hill!

:crackup:.

Good one!

I didn't think this was a challenging terrain especially as we have to get past the pub first!! ( And carry copious amounts of torches up the hill).

C'mon down - soapy, and be recognised. It should be fun!

Be lucky....

cdosrun

Enlightened
Hi Nyctophiliac,

do you have any preferred date out of the ones you listed at the top of the thread? I don't personally, just wondered if it was possible to narrow the range down for everyone.

Thank you,

Andrew

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, let's see if Saturday July the 5th is any good for all of you.

It's two weeks after the longest day, it's just after payday ( well, for me this is a big factor!), the weather should be great, it's quite soon too.

I'll amend the first post with prospective date and PM all those interested.

Anyone else for an informal get together?

Be lucky...

Mad1

Enlightened
I Know it's miles away but i'm gonna try and make this.

I cant make 5th July I'm on a Bushcraft course 4-6th July.

I just bought a 50W HID and some of the landscape looks perfect for it. :D

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mad 1 - I've always wanted to do Bushcraft!! Major envy here!

But I'll also offer up 12th July as well?

I'll PM the others too!

Hope you can make it!

Be lucky...:party::party:

Mad1

Enlightened
12th July is good for me.

I'll probably get a train or drive if my car is fixed in time. :rolleyes:

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
5th or the 12th all being well :thumbsup: