Views Of Fenix TK10 As A Tactical Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

PayBack

Enlightened
Sorry but what was the point of the original post? He doesn't want a feenix is that it? So why does it require a huge rant?
I'm not trying to flame or anything but it seems if you're not prejudiced then you wouldn't have made the post in the first place. I don't want to buy a surefire but I don't make a huge write up about it.

EDIT: ok so it's taken from another thread? Sorry, now it makes sense.

However if you could point me to the original the P1D-CE copies, I might buy one of those.

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm still debating with my thought whether to get it or not because i already have Dereelight CL1H V3 which is very versatile.
any comments or suggestions?
But 1 thing for sure i'm not gonna let my CL1H V3 go or should i wait for Fenix that can take 1x18xxx cell.

This is the best argument against buying the TK10 I have read. I really like my T1, but it does not see as much use as my MA6 because it does not work well with 17670 or 18650 batteries. I will still buy the TK10 and it will most likely become my shooting light... but not my everyday use outdoors/around the house light.

Its funny that I would feel that way, because I have bought Sooo many $11 123a 2 packs back in the late 80's and early 90's that now spending slightly more than a dollar for 123a's still frustrates me.... especially since I am not powering HO incan bulbs with them. But I have just spent so much on 123a's over the past 19 years that I just hate buying them.

I am greatly looking forward to Fenix's 18650 light weather it is "tactical" or not.

Caligvla

Newly Enlightened
To each his own...as I said in my post above, not all can afford or are willing to shell out the dough for those thousands of hours of testing.

Never heard the "Eye of Allah" line - where did it come from? Interested to hear the origin of this. Thanks-

I read in an article published in the OC register, it took me 2 seconds to find it again in a Google Search http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/sections/news/news/article_444492.php

When I was thinking about buying the Beast back in 2006 is when I first saw it, I have also seen it mentioned in a few other places...

I don't really need a beast for any tactical reasons so I cheaped out and got a Microfire Warrior III instead... I have my issues with it but, it's still a hell of a lot of fun for a Chinese HID

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
"FOUNTAIN VALLEY – In Iraq, it is called "The eye of Allah."
doesnt say who calls it that. I doubt very much that troops are having discussion with terrorists about lights. take note also that not everyone in Iraq is a terrorist.

Matthews has reason to boast. His competitors may not be as far away as the sun, but they are light-years behind the company's technology, which uses light-emitting diodes, or LED's, as well as conventional incandescent bulbs to power its flashlights. LED technology, combined with increasingly efficient lenses and reflectors, led to a new generationof increasingly small, blindinglybright and long-lasting flashlights.
All due respect to the Docter. but other competitors are light years away? i think the editor needs to research his facts.

Crenshaw

Last edited:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK 10 As a Tactical Tool ?

Interesting and I agree with the Original Poster and Gilly :)

When I was a young man in the early 1970's, had a good friend that was a Police Officer (had never heard the term LEO!). Friend purchased a 4 cell Maglight with his name engraved on same and since I had never seen a light that bright....I purchased one, as well (name engraved, too). Probably the start of my fascination with lights....anyway, my friend used his for "tactical" work.....convincing suspects to do as he wished and using the flashlight as an illumination tool and a "nightstick"...that's tactical to me!

If the Fenix lights work for Gilly and his brethren....great. If the OP wants to use Surefire...great. Forums are for opinions and when stated politely and respectfully, it's interesting.

I use a Surefire U2 or a McGizmo HD45 LuxV to walk the dog and that is as tactical as I want to be!!! Overkill :)and I should give the lights to a Policeman or a Soldier...they would be put to better use.

jeffb

Last edited:

Caligvla

Newly Enlightened
doesnt say who calls it that. I doubt very much that troops are having discussion with terrorists about lights. take note also that not everyone in Iraq is a terrorist.

All due respect to the Docter. but other competitors are light years away? i think the editor needs to research his facts.

Crenshaw

Like I said I have seen it plenty of other places too... When you become a published journalist let me know... Your criticism of the article might carry more weight... I don't know why it's so hard to believe that SureFire makes vastly superior products...

greenstuffs

Banned
Heheh that was a good one reminds me the mall ninja thread, i did laugh pretty hard on that one.

Crenshaw

Again the article is dated 2005 i recall Fenix had their P1 luxeon III and the incan was the king of the hill still, Gladius was just introduced. I won't go out an arm on this one but i'm pretty sure Fenix never had a LuxV light which surefire had the L2, U2 and L4 of course things have changed but back then they were pretty much the king of the hill.

Things started to change when the CREE emitter was introduced in 2006 where surefire had to play a catch up game 2007 introduced the CREE L1 which was a good light. 2008 E1B 2 stage, E1L, E2L both 2 stage UA2, UB2, HID ARC Lights. I still think the article is valid today where do you see a flashlight manufacturer that offers such a wide range of products.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said I have seen it plenty of other places too... When you become a published journalist let me know... Your criticism of the article might carry more weight... I don't know why it's so hard to believe that SureFire makes vastly superior products...
:ohgeez:

fact: Surefire IS NOT the first user of the LED in a tough, aluminium flashlight comparable to Incandescent output.

fact: Surefire LEDs at the moment are NOT cutting edge, they DO NOT have the brightest LED flashlights. They will be "bringing it" with thier new models though, that will be wait and see.

fact:neither do the make the best output/size ratio flashlight.Check out the Lummi range. Mikesalt will tell you.

fact: they are still a great illumination tool, and thier technology is advanced (U2,etc ) but the fact that they use LEDs is not technologically "light years" ahead

fact: not everyone in Iraq is a terrorist.

that said, surefire DOES have a great range of lights, just not the brightest. My C2 centurion is in the mail via priority mail, on its way to me, with a malkoff. I cant wait, the Malkoff+c2 is IMHO the best P60 based light i know.

EDIT: outdoor, my bad! didnt see the article was so dated...:crazy:

Crenshaw

Last edited:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Respectfully suggest that if you could visit and compare Fenix and Surefire,
Engineering, Manufacturing, Assembly, Quality Control and testing AND if you have the knowledge to compare sourced electronics and other components, your opinions and outlook MIGHT change.

I visit production facilities regularly and when you see what goes into a Manufactured item, it can be very enlightening.

Because of the value of the dollar today, my customers in the US are building Production machines for China, Korea, Germany and others, so "made in China", may mean.... built with American equipment.....but that doesn't tell the whole story either.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because somehow my new old stock E2 killed two fresh Surefire 123a lithium cells without setting my pants on fire, or flashing around so that I noticed it's running? Because I had to bend the springs on the clicky tailcap so it actually latched 'on' instead of acting like a momentary switch?

wild68fury

Newly Enlightened
To put it simply, I would purchase a Surefire and pay the premium price if they would keep up with output and runtime of the competition.

Not so simply, I will not buy a T1 or TK10 because they do not offer a significant advantage over my P3D RB100. Nor will I buy a Surefire if it cannot produce a higher lumen flashlight with better runtime than my P3D RB100.

CPF has been a great site to read and collect impartial data so we can make decisions based upon our individual needs.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I must bring up that a few of the people who frequent CPF and give their input are in fact involved in the military and police fields, and some of them have been dissapointed in existing lights from SF, blackhawk, streamlight etc.
The streamlight flashlights we get issued still use the NiCd batteries for example. I like a company that takes into account user input.
As far as the chinese lights go, they are not all in one bucket. Some are good some are just cheap copies. I have a lumapower MRV i use at work and I am very satisfied with the workmanship and the quality. Did fenix learn some things from surefire that they put into their lights? Probably, but they made their own corner in the market, providing products that were not supplied by american flashlight companies.
But you cant really dictate what off duty officers and military members carry around off duty, you are just guessing that they carry surefires and not Fenix lights. I plan to buy a surefire one of these days but I carry a lumapower lm33 as an everyday light.

Caligvla

Newly Enlightened
Not so simply, I will not buy a T1 or TK10 because they do not offer a significant advantage over my P3D RB100. Nor will I buy a Surefire if it cannot produce a higher lumen flashlight with better runtime than my P3D RB100.

I have even less incentive to buy a TK-10 I have a P3D Premium (Q5) 215 Fenix Lumens, The TK-10 only gives you 10 more lumens with a cheap, "let's pretend we have a surefire body" At least the P3D doesn't try to pretend to be something it's not... No office to all you Fenix lovers out there... they are neat little lights, I wouldn't trust them for a real Tactical situation.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Re: Is the new Fenix TK10 a "preconception buster" ?

Can anyone honestly say with a straight face that there is anything that makes the TK10 a "tactical" light other than a bunch of badly understood features cobbled together at the behest of a hobbyist market?

Yes.

Is it the best tactical flashlight? Probably not, but of course "best" depends on the desired use. If you look at the tomahawk light, and the way you can hold it while shooting one might wonder how surefire can even call the 6P a tactical flashlight.

Tactical itself can be a subjective term. Are $15 DX flashlights tactical lights? I dont think so. Can the TK10 be? Certainly.

As a disclaimer I wont use any light, american or chinese, expensive or cheap if it doesnt perform well under heavy use.

Mike V

Enlightened
I'm not in the military, but don't soldiers just use whatever they are issued?

Aren't they issued stuff like Surefire torches because all the miltary equipment is tied up with supply deals like with Haliburton and the like?

You know, the legendary $300 hammers and the like?

Caligvla

Newly Enlightened
After reading a lot of your posts I think I can sum up what the real issue is here.

1.) being poor sucks
2.) since poor people can't afford or perhaps justify the price of a real SureFire, they buy cheaper substitutes .
3.) they are still jealous of those who have SureFire lights and want validation that their Chinese knock off is just as good. So they can feel better about their purchase.

In many situations I could see were a Fenix would be just fine over a SureFire without any real compromise, however I don't think it's worth the risk of using a Fenix in a real tactical situation... If you don't think so fine, not everyone places the same value on their own life...

Caligvla

Newly Enlightened
I'm not in the military, but don't soldiers just use whatever they are issued?

Aren't they issued stuff like Surefire torches because all the miltary equipment is tied up with supply deals like with Haliburton and the like?

You know, the legendary $300 hammers and the like?

No solders often buy their own stuff, like Militec-1 instead of the crappy break free CLP the military issues, EOTech holographic sights are often paid for out of pocket by enlisted men... Flashlights are no different...

Status
Not open for further replies.