VIP Custom Tailcap: **1st POST UPDATED**

gp01

Newly Enlightened
Re: VIP Aftermarket Parts...Charlie, Help!

I missed the earlier post saying it does not include the Kroll switch. I assume it will be plug and play. I guess I better order one now.

Elnath

Newly Enlightened
Re: VIP Aftermarket Parts...Charlie, Help!

PP standing by.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Likebright

Enlightened
Re: VIP Aftermarket Parts...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif
Thanks Dan,
Pay Pal standin by.
Can I swap the O-ring from the King Crown back and fourth between switches?
Mike

Halibut

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Likebright said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif
Thanks Dan,
Pay Pal standin by.
Can I swap the O-ring from the King Crown back and fourth between switches?
Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike,

I swapped the o-ring and kroll, but only once. I think it would be a real PITA to keep switching the parts, quite honestly. I keep the original King's Crown it its museum-piece case, protected from my keys and the unforgiving pavement. The tailcaps that I made were meant to be "extra" beater parts that would take the abuse of daily use.

The measurements of the o-ring currently on my VIP are as follows:

OD: 13/16"
ID: 11/16"
W: 1/16"

Which comes close to these standard o-ring sizes:
-017: ID: 11/16" OD: 13/16" W: 1/16"
-018: ID: 3/4" OD: 7/8" W: 1/16"

Data from "O-rings West" O Rings West

I only listed 018 because Charlie specifically mentioned it.

-Dan

Tweek

Enlightened

Awesome, I'm still in, just let me know when to hit the fire button! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris

83Venture

Enlightened

Sounds great, will be a nice addition to my VIP collection, think I am on the lists for everything except the Big BulkHead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Halibut

Enlightened

They're here!

VIPtc1.jpg
VIPtc2.jpg

VIPtc3.jpg

I got a chance to field test this tailcap design in Africa, and it performed like a champ. Here's a shot of the trusty EDC overlooking Cape Point (Atlantic side).

VIPtc4.jpg

These tailcaps are machined from 6061 aluminum and have been hard anodized black. There is a 1/8" hole drilled for a split ring, but I prefer using a quick link through one of the portholes as an attachment point.

I am now accepting PayPal payments for these parts ([email protected]). The total cost will be $35.50 shipped CONUS USPS Priority w/DC. For those who ordered multiples, please subtract $4.30 from the cost of each additional tailcap.

International orders will be shipped via USPS Global Priority. Please add $6 to the base price of $35.50.

In your PayPal message, please include the following:

1) Your Name
2) Your CPF Handle
3) Your shipping address

--------------------------------------------------------

1. d'mo
2. arewethereyetdad
3. cy
4. cue003
5. Elnath
6. 83Venture
7. gregw
8. yaesumofo
9. Raindrop
10. gp01
11. m1match
12. this_is_nascar (3)
13. impact_blue
14. Vifam
15. daz
16. Bullzeyebill
17. brightnorm
18. BC0311
19. Likebright
20. scrappy
21. Alan_L
22. Monolith
23. Tweek (2)
24. LightChucker
25. prescottrecorder
26. Phil_B
27. indenial
28. Hallis
29. Datasaurusrex

At this point, I only have enough tailcaps to fulfill the orders placed by those in the list above. Therefore, I won't post these on the official B/S/T until everyone on the list has been given a chance to grab a tailcap. I hope the powers-that-be don't mind, but the orders came unexpectedly fast, and I was really caught off guard.

I will send outbound PMs to confirm pending orders if I don't hear from listees within a week, . Any leftover tailcaps will then be placed on the B/S/T board.

Just as a final reminder: These tailcaps do not come with a kroll or O-ring.

Thanks, everyone!

-Dan

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Paypal sent! These are beautiful! Thank you so much for all your effort.

If you have a raw aluminum I'd like one. If not, the black are just fine. Now I can take the VIP on board with me and check the KC in my luggage.

Major kudos to you Halibut! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Britt

Halibut

Enlightened

Thanks, Britt. Really, though, I'm just glad that I'm not stuck with 30 of these things!

Alas, there were only two raw tailcaps made. The one in the photo above, and one that was promised to an important VIP owner that we all know and love. I'll send your TC tomorrow!

-Dan

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif Black is just fine. Thanks again.

Britt

Dan, Dan, you really ARE Da Man! PayPal made for this little Halibut beauty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/kewlpics.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif

Great shot of Cape Point, too!

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Halibut said:
Alas, there were only two raw tailcaps made. The one in the photo above, and one that was promised to an important VIP owner that we all know and love. I'll send your TC tomorrow!

-Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait...so do you want to part with the one in the photo above? I'll pay extra. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Britt

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I have to ask one question. To activate Kroll you push from the top down with thump. With the KC you mostly push from the side, between two of the crowns. Is it more difficult to activate the Kroll using this new tailswitch?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bill

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

However, having recently acquired a SuperFlashlight3 that has a very similar rim around the Kroll switch, I've discovered that I much prefer the King's Crown on the VIP to the SF3 as it is much easier to activate the Kroll from the side then having to push it down from the top. As such, I'm giving up my place on the list, so there should be one available on B/S/T for anyone else who wants to buy one of these great looking tail mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif

Halibut

Enlightened

AWTYD: You've got it!

AlanL, Indenial, d'Mo: Your TCs will go out tomorrow. Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regarding the kroll switch. I, too, would activate the switch from the side when using the KC. However, my thumb was just a little too wide for that to be comfortable. If I didn't hit the switch the right way, one or both of the KC prongs would dig into skin and cause some discomfort. The SF tailcaps always felt good to me, so I went with that design (with Mike's blessing).

I have no problems activating the kroll using the redesigned tailcap, but I realize not everyone has thumbs shaped like mine! Go figure. Folks, YMMV with any design, ergonomic or not. The KingsCrown is a beautiful piece of art that is very functional. As I explained earlier, this new tailcap was made because I didn't want to risk losing my VIP while in international transit. I have since come to like this new design, so the prototype remains on my EDC VIP.

I hope others will find a use for these little guys, because I don't have 20 VIPs to match `em. Seems like a waste of perfectly good hard anodized aluminum to me.

That said, if you're on "the list" and prefer to withdraw your name, please do so without hesitation, no explanations needed. We're all family here, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

-Dan