VSS-3 on Ebay

BVH

Flashaholic
Just a note of caution for anyone looking to buy a VSS-3 or VSS-3A. This item: (can't post full link so add the letters in front)

ww.ebay.com/itm/USGI-US-Military-Surplus-VSS-3-Infrared-Visible-Searchlight-Spot-Light-Lite-/311011643933?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4869bd121d

is a VSS-3 light unit and the control box is for a VSS-3A. They are NOT compatible. The starter/booster circuit will be destroyed if used together according to the OEM manual.

"1-8. Description of Equipment
(fig. 1-1, 1-2)

CAUTION
The components of this searchlight are not compatible with any other equipment except that which is covered in this manual. If a VSS-3 searchlight subassembly is connected to a VSS-3A control box, the booster-starter module will burn out. If a VSS-3A searchlight subassembly is connected to a VSS-3 control box, the searchlight will not operate but no damage will occur."

NITE LITE

Newly Enlightened
Hey BVH
I only see 2 VSS-3 search lights listed on ebay.
Both appear to be VSS-3's . But neither have the item # you are talking about.

One has 5 pictures attached and the other only 3.

One is for $650 the other listed for $1,000.00
Is it one of those that your talking about?

The $1000 one shows a main light cable and a mount as well as two main control box's. the listing doesn't say they come with it . (the most prominent of the control box's pictured) is for the VSS-3 ? correct and the least prominent (the one shown in the bottom of the same picture is for the VSS-3A correct?
I have the non clipped cornered light VSS-3A ? and it runs using the control box shown in the lower part of the picture.

BVH

Flashaholic
I emailed him that the box was not compatible and he pulled it from the ad - but kept the price the same. It is/was the $650 light.

Non-clipped is -3A as you say. The box in the lower left corner looks to me to also be a -3 box. It has only 2 gray fuse holders and still has the hour meter hole in the box but its' covered with a blank. All the -3A boxes I have seen have 4 gray fuse holders arranged in a square shape. I have seen slightly different gray fuse holders on different -3A boxes but there's always 4 and they are arranged in a square.

Last edited:

NITE LITE

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info.
I haven't fired up my light in awhile.
But I only have the HMMWV for a power supply so I don't often find the time to mount it up there in the city.

I have another brand new VSS-3A unit still in it's original wooden shipping crate. As well as the correct 3A main control unit, remote control unit, TM, canvas cover , bulb changing tool and almost a complete set of connectors needed to make the power cord and interconnect cables between the control box and light if you ever come across anyone looking for another one.
I tried contacting the moderator to see how to list it in the classifieds on the market place but never heard back so I kind of gave up.
NL

BVH

Flashaholic
This light in my opinion, would qualify as a custom and could be listed here on CPF. It's the same situation as my Marconi's that I have listed here. The VSS's don't seem to sell as quickly as they once did but it's still the best place to list them.