Weapon light discussion, (loosely) related topics welcome

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Really just depends on natural ability, the amount of practice and whether you shoot eye-dominant.
Sorry, but there's no such thing as natural ability when you're shooting a handgun. For human-beings, it's an unnatural act. And, with 18% of the world's population being cross-dominant, shooting with one eye open solves that issue. Main thing when it comes to defensive shooting is focusing on that front-sight. The rear sights are supposed to be blurry. And for those times when aiming would take too long because an attacker is up close & personal, yes; go ahead and keep both eyes open while using Point Shooting to end the encounter.
I've trained with a world champion IDPA and IPSC that had to tape her cross-dominant eye so she could keep both eyes open.
I've trained with other world champions in same disciplines that shoot eye-dominant and do not need to use tape or shoot with a closed eye.
HUGE difference between sport shooting and defensive shooting. I've trained with guys who are definitely NOT world champions. That title doesn't exist when it comes to using firearms for self-defense. In fact, if you go to any instructor who claims to be a World Champion at self-defense shooting or insists that cross-dominant students use tape over one eye to keep both eyes open.... Demand your money back! That is simply someone who thinks they know what they are talking about. One of the worst backgrounds you can have in a self-defense shooting instructor, is that of a Sports Shooting World Champion who thinks he knows what he's talking about, simply because he has earned awards with his pistol.

Often times so heavily modified for competition use that it looks nothing like a bog-standard, off the shelf pistol. Best way I can describe it.... If you had severe engine issues with your car, would you take it to a mechanic who only exclusively ever works on transmissions? Would you let THAT type of mechanic work on your engine? Even if he confidently said he knows what he's doing? Even if he showed you a bunch of certificates he earned? All of which were for working on transmissions. Would you let that guy work on your engine? Obviously, no!
My wife is an elite handgunner and from day 1 she could naturally shoot with both eyes open.
Your wife is the exception to the rule. Those exist.
When my volume is high enough I can shoot with both eyes open without a time or accuracy penalty.
Thank you for proving my point! Time or accuracy penalty??
Those don't exist in the real world! Accuracy is simply center of mass. Aim for the torso. Anywhere you hit is the 10-ring. Time.... That works differently in the real world. T.=D.=T. (Basic formula. You need time in order to acquire distance, so that you have time to draw and fire your defensive handgun!)

I distinctly remember watching an older video of a police officer who was being punched repeatedly in the back of the head. This idiot kept trying to reach for his duty pistol. Each time he did, he got punched! Instead of pivoting his body, hitting his attacker in the side of the head with an elbow in order to gain enough Time to backpedal and thus put a bit of distance between them, so that he'd have Time to draw his weapon; nope! He just kept reaching for it, like an idiot. Thankfully the idiot was saved by a good Samaritan. Good thing too.... because there was a large metal gate that was slowly closing, and would have trapped the idiot officer with his attacker who clearly would have beaten him to death. (And with the idiot still been trying to reach for his pistol.)
If you're just a person that doesn't train, wakes up at 2am, and needs to stand still and defend against something that is also standing still....then yea closing one eye will be just fine. Or if you are cross-eye dominate and refuse to change positions or train high volume then it's best to close one eye.
Again, HUGE difference between training to be a World Champion vs. training to survive against someone trying to take your Life. With the former, they give you a trophy. With the latter, you get to keep your Life.
One benefit to a red dot is it should allow one to more easily shoot with both eyes open.
Not a benefit if you've trained for defensive shooting. Again, center of mass (torso) only level of accuracy that matters.
With irons I find that a blacked out rear is far eaiser than dots. I see too many dots when the rear sight is dotted.
Close one eye.
You're not supposed to see all three dots clearly. You focus on that front sight. The rear will naturally become blurry. That's what's supposed to happen. That's what I teach my students. I've mentioned before on CPF that I sometimes volunteer as an instructor at a certain school. And, I don't teach competitive shooting.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be the only laser i'd get, but with my luck they do not make it for my Glock, every other Glock they make, just not 36 lol.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Anyone else think kerneldrop been holding back on any thread that pertains to firearms:cool:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since there's a group of us all together on this thread thought I'd share this video with those few who might not know...

Mystery Ranch backpacks are some of the best. Especially USA made for our Military/LEO and hunters alike..

Sorry to OP for being a little off topic

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a little bit off topic, but since the folks posting in this thread are tactical minded, this seems like a good place to put it. Please forgive me if you think it isn't the place.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a little bit off topic, but since the folks posting in this thread are tactical minded, this seems like a good place to put it. Please forgive me if you think it isn't the place.

What a shame. LBT make THE best chest rigs and plate carriers

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

These are making me weak,, along with everything to make them happen, including a pistol.

So G23 Gen4 with a G32 barrel and Ejector # 30499?
Or you going old school West German P229 with a .357 barrel?

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you check out MR site you'll see which gear is USA (Berry compliant) and the imports are labeled as such. Priced accordingly as well..
I've owned a few LBT magazine pouches and bags, nicely built gear.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you check out MR site you'll see which gear is USA (Berry compliant) and the imports are labeled as such. Priced accordingly as well..

Maybe sounds funny, but for a while now I've wanted to get a sewing machine and learn how to assemble and sew pouches, bags and gear

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Fantastic company! I especially like that they are honest with regards to where the gear is made. Definitely something that certain, unnamed, companies should be doing.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe the mobile site is formatted differently or I'm just not seeing it…I don't see any product with a country of origin. Where do I find it because I'm on the search for a leg bag and a weekend bag. I want made in USA for both.

intake_monk

Newly Enlightened
It looks like the conversation has gone past light recommendations, but I'd definitely second the TLR7A recommendation. Especially if for CCW. It doesn't have the candela for a duty light, but as far as concealability and being good enough lumens wise, it's basically top tier I think. It also has really good holster support.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I guess we really do need somewhere to talk about weapon lights. I'm fine with this thread going where you guys want. I'll take Chauncey's suggestion and change the title to "Weapon light discussion".

As for me and my Glock 19, I let myself get a little excited about light/laser combos, but headed myself off at the pass. The only Surefire I saw that may work was the XC1 AAA light, but I couldn't warm up to the forward constant on button. I pulled the trigger on the Streamlight TLR7-A, which seems to fit my desires at a price I am very comfortable with. My main intent is as a bedside gun, so the concern of getting in trouble for lighting up someone who is not a threat is moot - if someone I don't know is in my home, they are by definition a threat. I'm not counting out carry in the winter months, so discretion will be used, but I always carry a handheld light (or two) and the TLR would ride as an "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it", and I have holsters for the gun without the light. But my main carry is a Glock 43 with factory tritium night sights. I'm a small guy, but I can carry that in a Crossbreed Hybrid holster on my hip in shorts and a T-shirt. With the 19 I feel more comfortable with a shoulder rig and outer garment. IWB carry would probably require a dedicated up-size waist pair of jeans for that. And I just don't feel comfortable staying concealed OWB.

Oh, and I'm totally a "both eyes open" guy, pretty much all of the time. When I took up archery for the purpose of hunting, I had to stay with how I shot as a kid, left handed, because I can pull more weight that way, but I'm cross eye dominant then. I absolutely had to close my right eye, or send an occasional arrow way off to the side. But then I installed a peep in my string, and I can only pick up the aperture in my left eye, so problem solved.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scroll down and click on Specs... Most all the military and fire gear will have 🇺🇲 USA posted.
If no flag it's not made in USA

Pretty sure the smaller day packs and hip styles are outsourced. Although I've owned a Forager fanny for years and all the seam threads are still in place.

I'd like to get one of MR version Rucks, but they're very pricey

+1 maintaining both eyes open 🇺🇲

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like the conversation has gone past light recommendations, but I'd definitely second the TLR7A recommendation. Especially if for CCW. It doesn't have the candela for a duty light, but as far as concealability and being good enough lumens wise, it's basically top tier I think. It also has really good holster support.

Thanks for the support intake, as you can see I have one incoming now. As an old CPF'er I just couldn't pull the trigger without getting some feedback here. For home use, I consider the output borderline too much, but I know it can still perform "in the wild" if I carry it on the 19. I am strongly considering the Crossbreed LDS 2.0 for potential hip carry with the light attached, but I'm not sure if I will need larger pants to pull it off. I have a flexible shoulder rig that will probably handle it with the light, but need to get it in hand to be sure.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who wants to tell Massad his wig looks ridiculously stupid?
I'm glad you said it before I did. Sort of like a molded plastic cap, you can see under the edges. But I have tried to imagine him without it, and I understand where he is coming from. But in 2023 you would think there are more natural options. He should look into where Wranglerstar gets his! (jk, he jokes about it since some folks "called him out" on it, but it's not a rug)