Weapon light discussion, (loosely) related topics welcome

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Just after I got my 1911, put a small drop of Liquid Paper on a toothpick and made a clean white circle on my front sight.
If I didn't tell you I did it, you'd think it was that way from factory.
Made a huge difference
(the rear sight is adjustable and all black)

Thinking of getting some florescent green paint & doing the same on a couple other pistols.
I've tried all the florescent colors, and for me, I find white works the best under all lighting conditions.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
I am currently a firearms instructor and use a number of Olight PL-Pros and Baldr Pros for student lights as well as a number on rental weapons for my range. I've had absolutely no issues. I also use one on my personal Glock 17 for instructing those classes. Saves me batteries and works with my Surefire X300u holster. I've put around 1500 rounds and hundreds of draw strokes on it.

The streamlight tlr-7 is a fantastic. I am getting the TLR-5sub for my next CCW light on a Glock 48 MOS. I can't recommend streamlight or surefire enough. Doubly so for duty lights. I have no issue with Olight pistol lights except for a couple. Only get the Baldr S, PL-Pro, or Baldr Pro in my opinion. I stopped carrying the Baldr mini in my shop because it didn't provide the ability to reinforce the connection to the frame mount.

Only downside to the 3 I listed is there's no hotswapping batteries on the rechargeable ones.

Full disclosure, I am also a dealer for olight and work with the WML program field testing and developing some of their pistol lights.

For CCW, certain olights are great. I wouldn't recommend them for a duty light yet, though. Even though I have seen thousands of rounds on them, including mounting a Baldr S on a 10mm compact and another on a Glock 30 with no issues a year later.

Avoid their rifles lights though. Stick to streamlight or up for rifles. The lights are durable, but the pressure pad and attachment point will fail.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trying not to say anything to help the bad guy. No claims of expertise.

Seems like a lot of absolutes being spun on this thread.

Title of the video is "Best Handgun Caliber…"
Along with the cowboy twang and the Wild West riffs, that interesting video leaves important factors dangling in the wind; environment, distance to target, global penetration needs, cost/availability/weight of ammunition, comfort with the weapon and most likely scenarios of employment.

The implied 'best handgun caliber' is a .454 Casull as the best choice (for most?) is a laugh.

Appreciation of the post by Simulated Zero.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
no one wants to get shot even with 22, so any caliber gun is a deterrent, countless cctv videos show as bad guys are confronted with a gun, they either run, or run while shooting without even looking, never mind aiming.

Another thing, the video shows more than half of shootings are not fatal, yet pretty much 99% of police shootings are. i wonder why.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ameriglo idot orange
the end.

I havent watched the videos yet but I'm assuming they said 10mm is best, which is true if we're only talking semi autos.:LOL::cool:

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing, the video shows more than half of shootings are not fatal, yet pretty much 99% of police shootings are. i wonder why.

So there's a few things to take into account.
One being that semi-auto handguns are vastly underpowered in the real world, especially when layers of clothes are worn. Secondly most everyone runs away in civilian encounters when they are able. When there's a police encounter usually folks on both sides are prepared to die on that hill. Thirdly is the type of ammunition used. A ball profiled bullet will not cause the same damage as a USA made hollow point.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
So there's a few things to take into account.
One being that semi-auto handguns are vastly underpowered in the real world, especially when layers of clothes are worn. Secondly most everyone runs away in civilian encounters when they are able. When there's a police encounter usually folks on both sides are prepared to die on that hill. Thirdly is the type of ammunition used. A ball profiled bullet will not cause the same damage as a USA made hollow point.
Then is would mean comparing just calibers alone is not that much useful. not to mention there are p+ and +p+ loads,

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then is would mean comparing just calibers alone is not that much useful. not to mention there are p+ and +p+ loads,

And interestingly enough +p is a SAAMi spec, where as +p+ such as those sold by Underwood is just marketing hype and really just +p.

No commercial maker will load outside of a SAAMI spec.

Velocity and mass are more important than the caliber. The caliber is the mass and the cartridge produces velocity but those defined are more important than caliber alone. Every caliber has a velocity and mass where it performs best.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
People can make up their own minds. On a personal note, if it was mine; I'd only be looking at SureFire or Streamlight options. Not sure regarding Modlite. But anything sold by the scumbag owners of Cloud Defense, I sure as Hell wouldn't trust my Life to any light they had a hand in creating.
I've heard of Cloud Defensive, but not the drama. Spill the tea for me if you don't mind. I'm curious ☕️

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
...not to mention there are p+ and +p+ loads,

9mm for example, from the latest Saami updated 12-13-22
MAP is defined as the maximuim pressure recommended for commercial loading.
I've seen a +p+ 124gr 9mm advertised at 1300 fps....I can't achieve that with the powders available. They may have magic powder.

1701546349171.png

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
9mm for example, from the latest Saami updated 12-13-22
MAP is defined as the maximuim pressure recommended for commercial loading.
I've seen a +p+ 124gr 9mm advertised at 1300 fps....I can't achieve that with the powders available. They may have magic powder.
yea, pixy dust lol

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before springing to action like scar face..

Most DA offices will file charges against home owners who use more than two shots, and that can be .22

...also make sure to drag the burglars feet back inside house threshold :twak:
That is not really true, those are myths, number of shots has little bearing whether you get charged or not, you most likely will get charged in blue state anyway even for 1 shot. Da will also try to use your ammo to paint you as evil murderer, "HP are more letal, is that why you picked them? so you can kill easier?, or you used fmj, those are military grade ammo made for war...... and bs like that.
You defiantly do not want to mess with a crime scene, that alone will get you more problems than shooting, maybe in 1900s it would fly, today crime scene tech will see that easy, DA will destroy your credibility for the jury, , once he's done that he has a conviction, even if everything else you did was right.
btw you can not shot a burglar, cuz by definition burglar is who steals from unoccupied home, if you are not home then there is no one to shot him. if you are home it would be a robber, that is deferent. you can use a deadly force against a robber, not always but you can, a burglar you can not use a deadly force against.

Last edited: