Weapon light discussion, (loosely) related topics welcome

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is that taped to your sight?
It's just something temporary to block the optic so you shoot "blind sighted"

It's a training technique to accurately hit targets down range without relying on your sights. If you have to look through or line up sights to shoot- that's a split second you wasted on taking down an enemy

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is that taped to your sight?
Normally I have a 3D printed Range Panda dry fire cover on it, but this was all I had so I made it work.

I'll explain it from my view. i shoot right handed. I keep both eyes open. I cover the front of the optic so with my right eye I see the red dot but block viewing the target. I see the target with my left eye. Doing this allows you to more quickly bring the dot to what you're looking at. Looking at the target through the optic slows down movement.

I sport shoot…so it's all about the transition from one target to the next with the goal of hitting a 6"x11" A-zone. When I move from one target to the next I move my eyes to the next target first and then bring the dot to what I'm looking at. I don't look through the optic to go to the next target or to find the target. I feel like I'm moving at a snail pace when I look through the optic.

The difference is night and day and after dry fire reps you'll never look for the dot again. the dot will always magically go to where you're looking. People that lose the dot or can't find it rely on one eye too much.

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's how it should look.
I shoot with it on as well.

IMG_5228.jpeg

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I'll explain it from my view. i shoot right handed. I keep both eyes open. I cover the front of the optic so with my right eye I see the red dot but block viewing the target. I see the target with my left eye. Doing this allows you to more quickly bring the dot to what you're looking at. Looking at the target through the optic slows down movement...

I shoot with it on as well.
Then why not just use iron sights? The whole point of a dot is that the dot does not need to be centered, the POI is always behind the dot. So you are either centering the dot, which slows you down, or you are point shooting with your other eye dominant.

I was well trained in point shooting, by people who learned from people who learned directly from Applegate. I kept hitting the instructors' gun hand with the simunitions. Proving that you not only hit what you look at, you tend to look at the threat.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
My first high-volume shooter was a G22 with a 9mm lone wolf conversion barrel. I shot 1,000s with zero failures. Literally zero
What generation? I looked into that for a 1st gen long ago, and you need more internal parts, like the ejector (so the slide) & maybe the trigger assembly.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then why not just use iron sights? The whole point of a dot is that the dot does not need to be centered, the POI is always behind the dot. So you are either centering the dot, which slows you down, or you are point shooting with your other eye dominant.

I was well trained in point shooting, by people who learned from people who learned directly from Applegate. I kept hitting the instructors' gun hand with the simunitions. Proving that you not only hit what you look at, you tend to look at the threat.

I agree, you hit what you're looking at, and this helps me do just that at a faster pace.
It's one of those things you just have to use to see the difference in not using one.
This is coming from a practical sport shooting perspective, not a defensive one.
When drawing and transitioning you should look for the streak of a dot to appear on the target you're already looking at.
Most will naturally follow the dot to the target, which is significantly slower. I look at the target first and then tell the dot to get there.
That cover helps me better do that and speeds up my draws and transitions.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
What generation? I looked into that for a 1st gen long ago, and you need more internal parts, like the ejector (so the slide) & maybe the trigger assembly.

the G22 to G17 conversion barrels are the same for Gen1-4.
I used a 9mm magazine.
Other than that nothing was changed on my gen4.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still slowly chipping down my supply from the 1990s @ 1 cent each, and the 100,000 I bought at Cabelas 6-8 years ago for two cents each.

Oh dang. With today's prices there's just no benefit to reloading 9mm unless you're trying to hit 125 PF. I can order 9mm target loads to my door for $.12 round if I get enough quantity. But they are above 125 and I notice it.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

In October of 2020, I bought 5000 small & large primers for $175
More than I wanted to spend, but this was when ammo was being removed (not sold) from store shelves.
The uncertainty in ammo and reload components was palpable. At the time I felt lucky to get what I got
...& put some coin in my local FFL till.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The secret to fast dot shooting…do this and you'll understand the phrase "Look at the target not the dot"
I have a 3d printed cover but it's in another location so this will do.

View attachment 55085
Reminds me of the Armson OEG (Occluded Eye Gunsight) I used on my AR180 back in the '80s. Very fast for short range shooting, but accuracy dropped off at longer ranges due to the dot size. Great for CQB, not so much for varmint (coyote) hunting (I switched to the first Aimpoint electronic red dot model).

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you get your slide machined for the RMR? My eyes have aged to the point where iron sights are no longer practical. I've been using lasers on my carry guns to cope, but I'd prefer an RMR.

Comes from the factory with mounting plates. Most just buy new pistols that have plates. There's nothing wrong with plates when they are correctly mounted. Over 80% of competitors at Carry Optics Nationals use pistols with mounting plates, not direct milled.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
When drawing and transitioning you should look for the streak of a dot to appear on the target you're already looking at.
Most will naturally follow the dot to the target, which is significantly slower. I look at the target first and then tell the dot to get there.
Agreed, with any type of sight, you look at the new target as you move the sight so it is lined up in front of your eye-on-target. But you say you shoot with the front of the dot sight occluded. So you cannot see WHEN the dot reaches the target. Are you looking at the backside of the dot sight, or over it ? Are you somehow processing the point your weak side eye is looking at, and discerning when the dot is on that point?

Comes from the factory with mounting plates. Most just buy new pistols that have plates. There's nothing wrong with plates when they are correctly mounted. Over 80% of competitors at Carry Optics Nationals use pistols with mounting plates, not direct milled.
Thanks for responding. I didn't even notice that this was a Gen 5 MOS. I'm a dinosaur who hasn't gotten past Gen 3!

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Here's an article on dot occlusion
useless. Does not explain what you are supposed to be seeing, and how that is different from actually using the dot. Does occlusion train you to shoot when the dot is in the center of the window? But the whole point of a dot is that you don't have to spend the time to do that. The only thing that matters is that the dot is over the POA; its location in the window is irrelevent. The POI is always behind the dot.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you somehow processing the point your weak side eye is looking at, and discerning when the dot is on that point?

Yes. My left eye sees target, right eye sees dot. My brain puts them together. It doesn't take practice…it just happens. It's clear, accurate and fast. I always know where the dot is on the target.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does not explain what you are supposed to be seeing, and how that is different from actually using the dot. Does occlusion train you to shoot when the dot is in the center of the window?

I still use the dot. I can always see the dot. The dot is not covered. The cover is on the target side, not the dot side.

Just try it with a piece of tape. You'll see.