What about modding a fenix with an aspheric lens for super throw?

joey_1987

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, I own a fenix l2d q5 flashlight and it is excellent thus far, but one department it lacks in is throw because of it's small reflector. Could one of these be modded with an aspheric ball like can be done with a minimag? Would the throw increase dramatically? Cheers.

djblank87

Enlightened
Hey all, I own a fenix l2d q5 flashlight and it is excellent thus far, but one department it lacks in is throw because of it's small reflector. Could one of these be modded with an aspheric ball like can be done with a minimag? Would the throw increase dramatically? Cheers.

:welcome:

I do not think you could fit an aspheric lens into such a small package like the L2D, I'm not saying it could not be done but doing so would take some good modding skills.

Why not go with a bigger light like an Aspheric Mag for a decent size light with super throw or go for the Dereelight, Tiablo, MRV for throwers?

Bunk3r

Newly Enlightened
A TIR optic is what you are after for such a small package. there is a cheap small one available from DX etc but Ive not compared the measurements to a fenix.

jugg2

Enlightened
I might be completely wrong here, but I think the shape of the lens is what concentrates the light. Even if the lens was small, if it was the right shape it should work. The only problem would be getting an aspheric that would fit a Fenix. I would love to see one; maybe a 300+ yard P2D?:naughty:

joey_1987

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies so far and thanks for the welcome too :). Does anyone have a link for a potentially suitable TIR optic or any other sort of lens that could be used for an l2d to focus the beam into a tight spot? Cheers.:)

Bunk3r

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

moon lander

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!

use http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_50_65&products_id=136

i used this 1/2 acrylic ball on my modded rexlight, and it focuses perfectly and at least quadruples the throw. i think it is spheric, not aspheric, as it is a half of a ball, but the focus is great.

i just attached it to a 1/2" length of pvc pipe that fits over the head of the rexlight. basically the same idea as the fenix diffuser but replace the diffuser with the optic. the focus is adjustable between a die projection and a slightly defocused die projection, but no flood, and it can be removed and replaced easily. i carry it in my pocket incase i need throw, i just slip it on the rexlight head... problem is its scratch-able, so it'd be best to recess it into the pvc pipe if possible.

the focal length is perfect for the rexlight, so if your reflector is deeper (distance from the led to the end of the light is greater) then it may not focus the same. if i had to guess, id say it would work for almost all AA sized lights.

the reason a mag aspheric would be better, is that in the rexlight, the sides of the direct beam from the die are truncated by the reflector. only the direct light gets focused into a spot, anything that hit the reflector first will appear as a wide ring around the spot. the mag has a head wide enough to fit most of the Crees actual projection angle without cutting off the sides of the beam before it hits the optic. hope that helps.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
I might be completely wrong here, but I think the shape of the lens is what concentrates the light. Even if the lens was small, if it was the right shape it should work. The only problem would be getting an aspheric that would fit a Fenix. I would love to see one; maybe a 300+ yard P2D?:naughty:

I think that its both shape and size.

A 52mm Aspheric lens will throw the light much further than a 27mm one,
all other factors being the same.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the LED die size is too large to make a super thrower given the small size of the lens area.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
It has been done with an asphere from surplus shed. Results provided a good throw, but the glass sticks out too much for an EDC. Also a light rigged for throw is not good for much else. If you want a tiny throw only light then have at it, if you measure the Fl mm properly you will have success.

jugg2

Enlightened
I think that its both shape and size.

A 52mm Aspheric lens will throw the light much further than a 27mm one,
all other factors being the same.

Thanks, my knowledge on this subject is almost non-existent, that is why I said "I think". Thanks for correcting that. You learn something new everyday on here.:)

easilyled

Flashaholic
Thanks, my knowledge on this subject is almost non-existent, that is why I said "I think". Thanks for correcting that. You learn something new everyday on here.:)

No problem. I also said "I think", but I'm fairly confident that's the case :)

Its the holy grail to find something that one can attach to a keychain
and throws for miles.

The only solution is a laser, as far as I know. ;)

IRML

Newly Enlightened
so would it be possible to buy the red filter, take out the glass, and then fit the aspheric lens in that

it would be easier for me doing it that way because I can add and remove it when needed

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How's this:

Buy an aspheric lens, attach it to a cone of correct width and height(To ensure the correct focus and fitting) and attach it to the front of you light. That will let you to have both throw and flood.

:welcome:

joey_1987

Newly Enlightened
Once again thanks for the replies, keep them coming. I have had a look at surplusshed and found this: http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/pl1099.html
I measured the diameter of the l2d lens and it is about 19mm, from edge of reflector-edge of reflector it is about 17mm, would this lens suit? Would It improve the throw if I simply attached it as an add on to the outside of the AR glass lens that is there? Cheers.:)

IRML

Newly Enlightened
Would It improve the throw if I simply attached it as an add on to the outside of the AR glass lens that is there? Cheers.:)
yeah that's what I would like to do too, that's why I wonder if it's possible to modify the red filter to take the aspherical lens, it would make it so much easier to take on and off when you need

nanoWatt

Newly Enlightened
Just a quick question that I know has probably been asked before, but how practical is an aspheric lens light? Would it be useful in the dark?