What are your current top 2 favorite VN modded lights and why? (Limit TWO)

What's the top light?

mRBk9hn.jpg

It's a VN-ized Foursevens MMU-X3R.

~ CG

Last edited:

KarstGhost

Enlightened
I gotta go old school, been married a while and my better half...well she would rather just stumble around in the dark.

1. K40vn, first run if I recall, had Supbeam label, still awesome now, 3 x 18650, I had someone exclaim, "that's a hand held light?!"

2. BTUvn Shocker

Vinh has been rocking awesome lights for a long time now!

bnwww

Newly Enlightened
1. TC20vn in Cerakote Orange, triple SST40 HD 6500k, ~4400lm. This is one of two duty carry torches and gets a lot of use. Beats the hell out of the Dolphins on our truck and I've had several people ask me where they can get one. I love how large an area this can light up for something so portable.

2. L16vn, ~5000k. My other duty carry, mostly used from the window of the truck when looking for things (spotting down long driveways, etc).

3. (cheating) Manker E04vn. EDC because tiny and awesome. The only time I'm out of the house and not carrying this, is when I'm on duty and carrying the two lights above. Murphy being Murphy, the beacon function would have come in useful at both of the MVAs we came across this past weekend while returning from a fire call.

scout24

Flashaholic
TK75vn 2018 because, lumens. :D

D1s VN with the Olsen black flat emitter. Mine's not a Fiat Lux, but I can't figure out why. The beam is absolutely, 100% perfect. Every other thrower I've ever had looks like the beam "crosses" at some point downrange- it narrows a bit and then starts spreading again, almost like an "x" somewhere in the beam. The D1s is an absolute laser, same width until you can't see it anymore.

If I still had my Toolvn, voting may have changed or I may have voted three.

6 months later, has anyone's favorite 2 Vinh-modded lights changed with the new VN offerings?

I plan to update my post once my FW3A W1 arrives...

Im interested to hear your latest opinions!

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
6 months ago I only had 2 Sky Lumen creations, now I have 20+

1. Favorite ever is the Tx25C2vn Fiat Lux Hidden White. Has a perfect beam, nicest beam of any light I've used with a great hotspot that diffuses very nicely. It's warm for an Oslon black, incredible throw, and I can pocket it easily. Great solid quality, cool cerakote, it's just an excellent flashlight. I never thought this would be my favorite, but here we are.

2. D25Cvn w/ 219B SW45k. The D25Cvn is my favorite light from a more practical EDC standpoint. It looks fabulous, Vinh's ACH is super sweet on these. Has a great beam, VN4 UI is one of my favorites, plenty of versatility while still being specific and direct. I choose my 219B over my White 1 only because of the story of it's creation, Vinh jumped through a lot of hoops to get me the last old-body D25C out on the market, and I'd have never known unless I bugged him about shipping!!!!! So that one will always be special to me.

Honorable mentions:
* M30Cvn w/ 219b SW45ks. 1400lm and 400ish meters of throw with rosy-high-CRI goodness, and VN4 refinement. HCRI throwers are just swell.
* StrikerVN White 1. Ultra pocketable thrower, makes for a great backup light and as a "poker" when out walking with my woods-walk lights like the MT18vn HCRI. Very pretty bezel with lightning AHC. Forward clicky FS54 switch is a MUST to make this so nice to me.

#1 Favorite: MT18vn Nichia 219C
Because it is my first popcan light and when you combine awesome runtimes, wonderful tint, and perfect tail standing capabilities, and the occasional turbo blast of 13k lumens, you get an incredibly useful flashlight around the house and for general outdoor purposes in large open areas. It's also the first light that I've owned which has the capability to start fires by heat emitted from the LEDs themselves! Takes a little while but... oh so impressive haha. (Don't try this at home.) Basically if the power goes out at home, there's no light I'd rather have with me of my current collection.

#2 Favorite: D4vn XPG-2
Because it's literally the pocket friendly version of the MT18. I love the smoothed out flat beam pattern this quad puts out. No distracting hotspot to deter my focus while working on something. It's also my first infinite ramping UI light. I really enjoy having complete control over the output to maximize runtime efficiency for my use purposes. Can't beat the price either!

Update 6/2/19
#1 Favorite: Micro GTvn W2
This little thrower is simply mind blowing... 1k lumens and 120kCD In a 35mm head using a single 14500 is HEAVENLY. I don't always EDC this light due to its size, but anytime I am wearing a suit/lightweight jacket of any sort, or have extra pocket space, this is easily my go-to Every. Single. Time. For me personally, this light takes first place over the Skylumen Delta and even the Goliath V2vn W1! While I love the other two mentioned, when you compare the size, weight, throw and output over these 3... the Micro GTvn W2 proves that it can fill any EDC throwing need or want, without the nuisance of size and weight of other larger throwers. It still shoots a truly impressive light-saber-like beam into the night sky, and I don't miss the Delta when I have the Micro GTvn W2 with me, unlike the Goliath V2vn W1, while still dropping jaws in its tiny size, leaves more to be desired in the throw department.

#2 Favorite: FW3Avn triple W1 (FiatLux!!!)
Despite my initial unassuredness prior to receiving this beauty, I have come to love the balance of output, throw, and heat management properties that this light exhibits. I was initially concerned that due to the late release of the W2 version, (3750Lm, 44kCD) I would regret choosing the W1 (2k lm, 45kCD) but after receiving this light, I can confidently say that I made the right decision. A 1x18650 with a 25mm head simply does not serve any ounce of practicality at 3k+ lumens. It just can't handle the heat, and it will step down immediately and leave you with a feeling of dissatisfaction when you try to enjoy max turbo or show it off to your friends. On the other hand, I strongly feel that 2,000-2,500 lumens is the perfect amount for a hot-rod triple/quad, 1x18650 <30mm head setup. Plus, the thermal step down is not very noticeable thanks to the smooth decrease, instead of flashes as it lowers.

Compared to my old D4vn XPG2 quad, which had more lumens but much less throw, in a bigger package, It is a no brainer. The FW3A W1 is simply better in every regard. The D4vn with W1/W2 quads may be a different story, but I may never find out, as the FW3A triple W1 thoroughly satisfies me.

Thanks for your hard work Vinh!

Last edited:

makapuu

Enlightened
1. Emisar D18vn XPL-Hi 5000k Surprisingly small, yet still packs a pretty good punch. Use it for my nightly walks. Never feels fatiguing to hold for long periods. Always get "WOW, what kind of light is that" questions.

2. Olight X7vn Triple XHP 70.2 6500k When I need to light up everything, or to just showoff. LOL

I guess I'm in a popcan flooder phase now.
If this question was posted about 2 years ago, I would be picking throwers.

bjs55

Newly Enlightened
throwers nothing but!!!
delta for compact size with monster throw for size
tn42vn black for pencil beam over I million kcd
with beam divergence the more lightv you put into a compact beam the more will stay on target at a distance
or maybe i'm mistaken?

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the less the beam spreads the more light can be put further down target. That's why lasers can throw so long.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe acebeam W30 next

Check out mateminco mt35vn white 2mm. Skylumen measured 1000 lumen/ 450kcd.. i got 1282 lumen. My measurement are with the texas ace lumen tube with the calibrated light.. i am strongly recommend this light for $100. The light is very powerful @ 370 lumen already, and gives longer runtime.. of course , turbo will be 3 times brighter..

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
already got it, very nice light cant beat the price

Cool. This is my first white 2. I like it a lot.. look like skylumen give the full max amp on this mt35vn.

My next light will be triple white2 with the big reflector.

AmericanDissent

Enlightened
If I have to pick just two, I'd have to go with;

D4Svn Spec 5 White2, black body, red aux led's. These things are addictive, I already want a bunch more in W2 with different housing and aux colors!

The other is my newly acquired X70vn spec 3 hybrid.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. X65vn. Because it is still not yet superseded.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?408676-Favorite-V54-Light&p=5115673&viewfull=1#post5115673