What are your current top 2 favorite VN modded lights and why? (Limit TWO)

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Imalent R90TS? Heh.

I just got mine in the mail from Vinh 24.5 hours ago. :faint:

2. Imalent R90TS. Because it has, so far, for the past 24.5 hours, successfully superseded the X65vn. :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Anyone have new favorite lights from recent sales?

Yeah, you know me with those darn E07s. I just think it's a timeless design and great performer. I just enjoyed another mountain bike ride with the aluminum one mounted to the helmet last night. I ran it at about 2000 lumens steady. It never got hot and after 90 minute ride, still was at 3.3V.

Update 6/2/19
#1 Favorite: Micro GTvn W2
This little thrower is simply mind blowing... 1k lumens and 120kCD In a 35mm head using a single 14500 is HEAVENLY. I don't always EDC this light due to its size, but anytime I am wearing a suit/lightweight jacket of any sort, or have extra pocket space, this is easily my go-to Every. Single. Time. For me personally, this light takes first place over the Skylumen Delta and even the Goliath V2vn W1! While I love the other two mentioned, when you compare the size, weight, throw and output over these 3... the Micro GTvn W2 proves that it can fill any EDC throwing need or want, without the nuisance of size and weight of other larger throwers. It still shoots a truly impressive light-saber-like beam into the night sky, and I don't miss the Delta when I have the Micro GTvn W2 with me, unlike the Goliath V2vn W1, while still dropping jaws in its tiny size, leaves more to be desired in the throw department.

#2 Favorite: FW3Avn triple W1 (FiatLux!!!)
Despite my initial unassuredness prior to receiving this beauty, I have come to love the balance of output, throw, and heat management properties that this light exhibits. I was initially concerned that due to the late release of the W2 version, (3750Lm, 44kCD) I would regret choosing the W1 (2k lm, 45kCD) but after receiving this light, I can confidently say that I made the right decision. A 1x18650 with a 25mm head simply does not serve any ounce of practicality at 3k+ lumens. It just can't handle the heat, and it will step down immediately and leave you with a feeling of dissatisfaction when you try to enjoy max turbo or show it off to your friends. On the other hand, I strongly feel that 2,000-2,500 lumens is the perfect amount for a hot-rod triple/quad, 1x18650 <30mm head setup. Plus, the thermal step down is not very noticeable thanks to the smooth decrease, instead of flashes as it lowers.

Compared to my old D4vn XPG2 quad, which had more lumens but much less throw, in a bigger package, It is a no brainer. The FW3A W1 is simply better in every regard. The D4vn with W1/W2 quads may be a different story, but I may never find out, as the FW3A triple W1 thoroughly satisfies me.

Thanks for your hard work Vinh!

Update 9/4/19
I have to update my #1 favorite, as I no longer own the Micro GTvn W2.... it was been replaced by the Micro GTvn W1.1! Less lumens, but better heat management! Less drain on the tiny 1000mah battery, so that excites me. But more excitingly, is the extra 100m of throw and 30k lux intensity increase. I can't honestly remember the difference visually, but I do recall a larger hotspot of the W2. I was certainly impressed at turn on, and to know that I have so much throw power in such a tiny package is just exhilarating! Can't wait to use it around friends and family for real life applications!

Most often, I use my EDC light to shine along a path of a friend or relative walking to their car at night, in a large parking lot or at the end of my driveway, to let them see their way safely into their cars. It's fun to have such capabilities from a distance, and they thank me, yelling out from the distance as they get into the drivers seat.

Last edited:

daffy

Enlightened
Update 9/4/19
I have to update my #1 favorite, as I no longer own the Micro GTvn W2.... it was been replaced by the Micro GTvn W1.1! Less lumens, but better heat management! Less drain on the tiny 1000mah battery, so that excites me. But more excitingly, is the extra 100m of throw and 30k lux intensity increase. I can't honestly remember the difference visually, but I do recall a larger hotspot of the W2. I was certainly impressed at turn on, and to know that I have so much throw power in such a tiny package is just exhilarating! Can't wait to use it around friends and family for real life applications!

Most often, I use my EDC light to shine along a path of a friend or relative walking to their car at night, in a large parking lot or at the end of my driveway, to let them see their way safely into their cars. It's fun to have such capabilities from a distance, and they thank me, yelling out from the distance as they get into the drivers seat.
My Micro GTvn is being built, probably end up being a favorite.
Right now its an E07 Ti/Cu HC for me i had a plain stock E07 it just needed a little more throw which is what i got with this light built by Vinh. Wall of light plus enough cd/throw together.
Next is the Hybrid D4S, another nice throw/flood (bit more throwish which i prefer) a lot of the time factory stock lights just dont hit the mark, then its time to check the SkyLumen shop!!

Has anyone found their new favorite light(s) recently? Lights that outperform, WOW, or fill the perfect niche need?

Please refresh your lists to help encourage perspective buyers of the Thanksgiving Sale beginning tomorrow figure out what they should buy based on your experiences with recent purchases!

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast
W10vn g2, rot66vn v2, mt18svn, d4svn, x65vn or tn40svn, tn42vn90. I know that's more than two, but pick any of these for your collection and you will not be dissatisfied.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Has anyone found their new favorite light(s) recently? Lights that outperform, WOW, or fill the perfect niche need?

You've mentioned that you have no interest in the W30 but I'm surprised that you never went after the W10 Gen2. It's relatively small with insane throw for its head size and produces a good amount of lumens. Seems like the dream light for someone wanting to pull an unequaled thrower from their suit jacket pocket and shine across a park or up a tall building, haha.

In any case, back to what you asked, the D18vn W2 has continued to impress, every time I use it. I recently explored some lava tubes and had this light with me. It was impressively bright, gave good enough color rendition, didn't get too hot and had better than required throw for most of the cave. I ran it 3000-4000L for much of the time.

Sos24

Enlightened
I think my two favorite would have to be:

- Emissar D4vn V2 with W2 Throw Optics - it is a small powerhouse that has exceptional throw. I do not think you could find a smaller light with such a nice balance of throw and brightness. The Andruil UI ramping allows you to choose just the amount of light required making this light useful when you only need a little light as well.

- Niteye Mini1 Titanium with SST20 4000k - It is a nicely sized rechargeable keychain light that is HiCri. The HiCri allows my to still have great color rendering when I need it while carrying a lower CRI light for the power and throw.

Nice D18vn recommendation!

The W10g2 was on my radar but I got scared because of it technically being a laser and reading the warnings on Acebeam a website about use. I don't want to get in trouble with the law and I have a lot of friends use my lights from time to time so that was a big concern. If it weren't technically a laser, I would've bought it, yes!

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not technically a laser. It uses a laser to excite a phosphor, which is in line with how an led sits under a phosphor to excite that phosphor. The resulting light that comes out of both lights is a simulated blue+yellow white light. The only difference is that the lep is much more focused due to its much smaller light source, and large aspheric lens.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
1) SL2 - It is probably my favorite light because it is small enough to be EDC'd without noticing it weighing ya down. - Yet it can pack a TON of lumens as well. - and can tail stand which is a must have in any light (for me!)

2) SL2c- This would have to be my 2nd favorite light as its so small (even smaller than the SL2) yet SO capable, especially with the 1200mAh 18350's available today. For most EDC tasks this is MORE than enough light for ya. Both these lights have an amazing form factor that fit in the pocket / clip to the pocket perfectly without feeling like you have a big heavy object in your pocket. Yet, when you need light...both of these will literally light up the entire room for you! -- no other light in this form factor/size/weight can compete (in my opinion) -- the SL2 and SL2c just do it so damn well!

--Little cheating here BUT:
It's not a fully made light -- however the p60 light engine (Smooth reflector White2-5400k) Is an absolute beast, especially for what you pay for it!
It inexpensive, relatively speaking and yet offers 1k lumen / nearly 500M of throw. This engine has revived my old P60 host in the past week and it hasn't left my pocket since! I carry it at work and EDC it on my off days as well! -- It can bounce off the ceiling to spill in to the room and light it all up -- and can throw DEEP if needed.
I have recently only collected more floodier lights - like quads / triples (even tho a trip can throw pretty darn decently as well!!) ... It's pretty refreshing and exciting to be able to reach out SO FAR with such a small host thats bored for 18650's with a clear and tight beam this engine creates. I'm a huge fan of it. ---I know many people like their 26650's as well, however I really am not a HUGE fan of them. The form factor just doesn't work as well as the 18650 does (IMO).. 18650 is about as big as I want to go if I have to stick it in my pocket for the day to EDC, any bigger and i'd probably not carry it... and just end up reach for something smaller.

With that said, I do have some of the bigger boys Vinh offers as dedicated truck lights / home lights ...ect..ect.. Which are absolute rock stars as well!

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
31 days and no new current favs?

Four Sevens MMU-X3vn 3x XHP50.2, one-off, Dec. 17, 2019, 5,500 lumens, 346 meters, 30Kcd is my current fav Vinh light. I did not give lights is this size classification much attention for the past 2.5 years, which is part of the reason that this light took my likeometer by storm. This light has re-energized my interest in lights of this size class.

31 days and no new current favs?

Four Sevens MMU-X3vn 3x XHP50.2, one-off, Dec. 17, 2019, 5,500 lumens, 346 meters, 30Kcd is my current fav Vinh light. I did not give lights is this size classification much attention for the past 2.5 years, which is part of the reason that this light took my likeometer by storm. This light has re-energized my interest in lights of this size class.

I'd really appreciate a picture of the business end of your new MMUvn. :popcorn:

Thank you!

AmericanDissent

Enlightened
Gotta update this as my top two favorites have changed. Currently, and not soon to be dethroned, my favorite is my Sky Lumen Nguyen number 013 with W2 triple and green GITD gasket. My second favorite is my MT07vn Fiat Lux with W2's. I usually carry both every day, but if I only have one on me, it's the SLN.

EDIT: Almost forgot the why! So the SLN is the perfect fit for me. It's an overbuilt tank of a flashlight that just screams quality, reliability, and extreme toughness. The P60 drop ins make upgrades a breeze, and I know that as led emitters advance, I'll be able to keep the SLN up there in performance. It gives me great confidence carrying it, knowing that it will work when I need it to.

The MT07vn is such a beast in terms of output and throw for its size, it's pretty much a must have light. Even though they aren't as advanced, I do like 26650 batteries as well as the form factor of single 26650 cell lights. The MT07vn fits perfectly in my hand, as well as my pocket. The Anduril UI is also one of my favorites.

VG9dzLA.jpg

36oQ2bZ.jpg

Almost always wearing cargo shorts, including all winter, so carry is a breeze.
wpodtql.jpg

Last edited:

daffy

Enlightened
SLN but I will be updating to quad or triple W2 soon, same reasons as above it's a truly
unique light amongst other things.
My recently bought FW3 Ti-Cu it's just about the perfect EDC for me, only weighs 125 grams
with battery. Excellent heat sinking, as many or as little Lumens as required plus very easy
to carry around. Acceptable battery life with 18650 I use 30Q or 35E Samsung's and I
have it a slight polish so it looks great and will take some abuse.