What did you use your flashlight for today?

iacchus

Enlightened
Have you considered adding a headlamp to this setup of yours, iacchus? Seems like it would be more ideal than a mouth light, and more secure too.

Otherwise, a diffuser would go great in small confines like this. For barely any bulk and practically no weight you get ambient light without any glare from the beam striking the bounce surface before diffusing. Especially metal.
I have a Zebralight Headlamp, but not at work. I probably should get another and just keep it at work.

The low mode of whatever torch is in my pocket usually does a good job at avoiding glare, I don't have a major issue there. A diffuser would come in handy though, now that you mention it. I'll see if I can sort one for the Beta QR and slip it in the pouch. Good idea.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Fiddled about in the trunk of my car trying to figure a way to use one of my old lights to improve lighting. Was using the ever present Tiki to see what I was doing. Might use the Manker E02 II or an ancient Zebralight H50, if I don't just use whatever's in my pocket when I need more light.

Geoff

BattleBrat

Newly Enlightened
Used my Convoy T3 clipped to my hat to install a turbo in a 6.7 Dodge 3500 truck inspected it when I was done with my new ML50LX Maglite.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Ironically I was using my work Stinger today and it turned its self off. So I had to fall back on the trusty protac HLX. Threw the stinger on the charger and turns out it was dead dead. Took 2.5 hours and back up and running.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ironically I was using my work Stinger today and it turned its self off. So I had to fall back on the trusty protac HLX. Threw the stinger on the charger and turns out it was dead dead. Took 2.5 hours and back up and running.
Glad it was 'simple', and thanx for reminding me why I carry an 'N+1' light (as do most 'holics).

Off topic here, but are you getting any use on that Stinger Color-Rite you have? Just curious.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Glad it was 'simple', and thanx for reminding me why I carry an 'N+1' light (as do most 'holics).

Off topic here, but are you getting any use on that Stinger Color-Rite you have? Just curious.
I have actually, I swap back and forth with the Stinger DS and the Stinger color-rite. The CR stinger is really nice for talking to someone and making sure you get the clothing description right. Unfortunately the blue tint stingers cause problems with blue, green and sometimes red clothing or car colors. It throws off the colors just a bit. The CR stinger gives you more of a warm coloration for its led so colors are more vibrant and easier to pick out. I really wish that streamlight would make all of their stingers with a neutral white so colors can easily be picked out, but I do know that the blue tint leds are cheaper. Hope that helps.

iacchus

Enlightened
Went out to walk the pups, and they found ol' Growlbag Bobbykins sniffing around the kettle grill. He's our resident coon, and their meetings are always ... well a whole thing.

He's pretty fast for a fat fella.
Here he is once he got away, lit up by a trusty 6P w/ a M61. That pairing is probably a decade old now, still mighty useful.

20240218-194149.jpg

Last edited:

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe this is my first post in this thread in all these years... haha.

Some unidentified foreign object wound up in the laundry and broke into a crapload of hard little pieces in the machine. Used a FourSevens Preon P0-SS with its Mule type, emitter-only beam. Worked very well, and of course, is very small and lightweight when fumbling around inside a washing machine.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I used a royal blue squeeze light to check on the healing process for a spider bite. The blue light was able to punch thru the WBCs to reveal the red splotches underneath it.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I just went over my office at work with a newly aquired Sofirn SF15 UV-pen light. Supposedly, the cleaning "isn't the best" here, so I wanted to do a quick inspection.

Fortunately, the only places that "lit up" under UV was a random cardboard box filled with old PC mice, and... *cough, cough* (only in small areas)...one of my own, older personal keyboards that I have brought with me from home to use instead of the Amazon Basic equivalent I got handed here.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Olight M1T Raider.
Used it to check that a pedestrian gate remained closed and locked, as it should be. Sometimes I find it unlocked. I know who occasionally keeps unlocking it. I'm done trying to have intelligent conversations with morons. It's just easier to check that gate right before the start of my shift each night. If needed, park, relieve whoever worked 2nd shift, grab the Master key, go back outside and lock it. Thankfully he's left that lock alone for nearly 2 weeks straight.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Used my M21B last night to illuminate a tree branch that my cousin is making into a sapling for transplant*. The FC40's high CRI was very useful to determine that yes, the branch is still doing well and looking bright healthy green, and there's even new leaves in the soil. I wasn't gonna climb up there to see what they were of, but even if they're not from the sapling, it's a good sign, means the soil is fertile enough for plant growth.

*: he de-barked the base of the branch (without girdling it), and placed the lower half of a plastic soda bottle filled with dirt around it, so it's incentivised to sprout roots

Last edited:

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Our dishwasher stopped working so I used my Eagtac D25c to poke around and see what I was doing. When I put that down and couldn't reach I used my MaratacAA instead. N+1

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I brought my newly arrived Sofirn SF16 UV-light to a friend's house together with the Sofirn order I had done for him, and we had a poke arround, checking the bathroom and kitchen.
...When we were finished he said he wanted to disinfect the whole damn house. And he began scrubbing door handles with anti-bac while I was still there.

No idea what the difference is between the Sofirn SF15 (UV penlight) and SF16, because it's supposed to be the same wavelength but with a different LED. But where not much showed under the SF15 penlight UV, a LOT lit up under the SF16!

I have not yet dared checking my own house.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
So after a miserable start to my shift, what do I see? About three or four cars pull into the lot, and park in an out of the way spot. One where no trespassers have ever parked before in the 10 years I've worked that client's site. They back into the spots, with their lights on. I'm thinking it finally happened.... Street racers. Oh Hell no! Grabbed my Feit Electric 3C LED flashlight on the throw setting. Grab my 9 oz. canister of pepper-spray. Got it in hand but tucked against the side of my leg, with the Safety off. And I head out into the parking lot. Keep the flashlight clearly visible in front of me....

Turns out it was a group of plain clothes NYPD officers using the parking lot as a staging area for a night-time raid on a house a handful of blocks away. Spoke with one officer, and he filled me in on what was going on. Saw his badge (yes it was real). Wished them a good night, and went back all the way inside. BTW, not one of the rather substantial squad of officers noticed my large crowd-pleaser canister of pepper-spray. Yeah, not too observant.

So that's the story of how I nearly peppper-sprayed a squad of NYPD officers. Ah, good times; good times....