What flashlight do you keep in your vehicle?

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
@samoset, are those bike seats mounted on a loose, or spring pivot?

Are bicycle seats nowadays, like on @fuyume bike, anatomically correct (groove down the middle ) for both male and female genders?

I would prefer to have a head mounted lamp aimed into where I'm looking verses where the bike bars are heading, or possibly both is a good idea. Bright tail and running lights can't hurt either.

Edit: spell checked my spell check

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are bicycle seats nowadays, like on @fuyume bike, automatically correct (groove down the middle ) for both male and female genders?

I would prefer to have a head mounted lamp aimed into where I'm looking verses where the bike bars are heading, or possibly both is a good idea. Bright tail and running lights can't hurt either.
Headlamps are, IMO, superior except for maybe a few circumstances:

Light-loving insects
Fog
Rain or snow
Smoke

In the first, light-loving insects, you will attract them right into your face. Having bugs in your face while you are trying to steer a bike is not the ideal situation that you want to be in.

The others all go together. In fog, rain, snow or other precipitation, and smoke, the closer to your eyes the light origin is, the more light is reflected back in your eyes. In this situation, you want the light down low, so the angle of reflection is greater, and not into your eyes.

samoset

Newly Enlightened

Are bicycle seats nowadays, like on @fuyume bike, automatically correct (groove down the middle ) for both male and female genders?

The bike in the background has a narrow seat with a groove. The groove was developed for men. I read decades ago that ardent cyclists like racers were developing fertility problems from the pressure at the middle of a narrow saddle. I don't remember whether the damage was thought to be permanent.

The seat clamp can set the tilt as the rider desires. In the old days, before everybody started bending way over to race, tilting seats forward was common, though not as extreme as the bike in the background. One advantage is that it keeps the pressure on my ischiums, or "sit bones." Another is that the high back gives me efficient leg extension, but when I stop, sliding forward brings me down for stable ground contact. I use the motor to get underway, and the tilted seat scoops me up. If it weren't tilted, it would poke my excretory aperture.

By starting with a pedal at top dead center, I get long power strokes, but at top dead center, I'm pushing forward, not down. The tilted saddle helps absorb the equal and opposite reaction so I don't have to jerk the handlebars.

I moved both saddles aft, I think 12 inches, from stock. That's how John Starley produced the first successful rear-wheel-drive bicycle, the Rover, in 1885. It made bumps more comfortable by putting most of a rider's weight on the pedals, not the seat. A rider's upper body is braced by a sort of tripod between the seat and the hand grips. Moving the seat back made the tripod, and therefore the bicycle, more stable. At top dead center, the rider's knees weren't doubled over, which meant more power with less strain on knees and leg muscles.

Both OEM lights are frame mounted. The handlebar light is more intense, so I take care to keep it out of the eyes of oncoming drivers. The potential for blinding a driver is greater with a headlamp. I've ordered a clamp to attach my Surefire Aviator to my hat brim. On foot, I have more than once goofed and shined a headlamp in somebody's face. I have years of experience being careful, so maybe I won't goof on the street. Maybe I'll ride with it off most of the time.

samoset

Newly Enlightened

Bright tail and running lights can't hurt either.
Reflectors are better. A good one will reflect the intensity of headlights back at the driver instead of spreading it. That's likely to be more intense than a tail light.

When I bought the white bike, I noticed that the tail light did not have a built-in reflector. I was disgusted, but I did not intend to ride at night. When the weather got hot this year, however, I began to go out at dusk. I figured it would be okay because now I had a brighter tail light. It had come with the handlebar light. The advertising said the handlebar light would run 15 hours on low, and the tail light 30 hours. I figured I'd keep an eye on the state of charge of the headlight and recharge them together.

The tail light was off when I came in the third evening. I couldn't account for it. The same thing happened the next night. This time I switched it on and waited. In 5 seconds, it went out. To test, I charged and ran it down several times. Each time, it lasted 2.5 hours, not 30. Those lying advertisers could have gotten me knocked over a railing and into a river for the Coast Guard to snag the next day.

For $1.50 I bought a 3" reflector. I'd thought the light was bright, but the reflector is brighter.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Are bicycle seats nowadays, like on @fuyume bike, anatomically correct (groove down the middle ) for both male and female genders?

Edit: spell checked my spell check
Those are "bike trucks" KG. They have a step thru frame designed to not trip up a potential driver of said bike truck. Some factories still use them.
IMG_0475.jpeg

Here's an adaptation

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last saddle I rode on was a Brooks hard leather mounted on a road bike. It took about a year to break in that seat.. Actually I'm not sure if it was the seat or my butt that adjusted.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I keep an Inova T4R in 2 of my cars. They are the duel fuel ones that can also run cr123. In my truck I keep a stinger led color rite.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
So, bought a Pre-Made two-person survival kit awhile back. (Yeah, it's only somewhat up to snuff.) Bought myself a Coast HX5 single-AA LED light to replace the common-as-dirt, No-Name, Made in China generic single-AA LED light that comes in the kit.

We've all seen it. Black, tacti-cool looking, orange tailcap. Feels like it's going to crap out at any time. The Coast is good enough. Going to toss a lithium Energizer AA battery into it. (The included El Cheapo single-AA light didn't even come with a cheap, generic, AA battery anywhere in the kit.)

Going to toss that orange tailcap cheapie in my glove-box. An extra light in the car, on top of the one I already have in there, could come in handy.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
So, bought a Pre-Made two-person survival kit awhile back. (Yeah, it's only somewhat up to snuff.) Bought myself a Coast HX5 single-AA LED light to replace the common-as-dirt, No-Name, Made in China generic single-AA LED light that comes in the kit.

We've all seen it. Black, tacti-cool looking, orange tailcap. Feels like it's going to crap out at any time. The Coast is good enough. Going to toss a lithium Energizer AA battery into it. (The included El Cheapo single-AA light didn't even come with a cheap, generic, AA battery anywhere in the kit.)

Going to toss that orange tailcap cheapie in my glove-box. An extra light in the car, on top of the one I already have in there, could come in handy.
I just tend to like lights that I can mount in my car with a charger base, so I can click it back in when I am done. The Inovas definitely appealed to me because they can run multiple fuel options in case of car troubles and their chargers run on a USB A cable, which my cars have USB A ports.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I just tend to like lights that I can mount in my car with a charger base, so I can click it back in when I am done. The Inovas definitely appealed to me because they can run multiple fuel options in case of car troubles and their chargers run on a USB A cable, which my cars have USB A ports.
Mine is a Mazda 6 V6 sSport trim from 2009. No ports.
I need a cigarette lighter adapter with the USB ports built-in.
Also, it has taken me a very long time to transition to rechargeable options for my EDC lights. Tried a few times over the years but things never worked out well. Got my main EDC light running an 18650 (2xCR123 lithium primaries as a back-up option). Back-up light running 2AAA rechargeable Eneloops (2AAA alkalines as a back-up option). With a single-AAA light on my keychain running one AAA alkaline. Output on high, 130 rated lumens. That's just there in case the rechargeables both fail on me.

I like saving money. But the last time the battery in my 18650 needed charging, took 4 hours and 45 minutes. I just personally wouldn't feel comfortable relying on a charging cradle in my car, with a light that can't take Primaries as an option if needed.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, it has taken me a very long time to transition to rechargeable options for my EDC lights. Tried a few times over the years but things never worked out well. Got my main EDC light running an 18650 (2xCR123 lithium primaries as a back-up option). Back-up light running 2AAA rechargeable Eneloops (2AAA alkalines as a back-up option). With a single-AAA light on my keychain running one AAA alkaline. Output on high, 130 rated lumens. That's just there in case the rechargeables both fail on me.

I like saving money. But the last time the battery in my 18650 needed charging, took 4 hours and 45 minutes. I just personally wouldn't feel comfortable relying on a charging cradle in my car, with a light that can't take Primaries as an option if needed.
Fully charges the dead battery in 1.5 hrs.

rrego

Enlightened
Fully charges the dead battery in 1.5 hrs.

Very nice Maglite rechargeables. Have the 2C and 3C models in matte black.

Nice price in that link too, with 20% off when using the code.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I carry one of my hopped up 2C Maglites in each vehicle, with Tenergy LSD NiMH cells. I also carry the 4D Mag with the camo head in my F-150, with the same batteries. It has the Malkoff drop-in.

As to the why - I like the dependability of the old Mags, and although I usually do have a modern 18650 or 21700 light on me, there is no concern with battery performance during cold winter months with the NiMH cells ... and the other why, the ability to have the self defense factor of the Maglite when you're not really needing to brandish more drastic measures.

p9fLzYv.jpg

o6lDjRd.jpg

Poppy

Flashaholic
You can get one of those adapters for about $5.
Or very inexpensive ones for about $1.50 at the dollar store.

1694169635953.png

I suggest that you "Be prepared" and don't leave home without it. :)

I actually replaced my Cigar lighter outlet with one that is meant to be a "in the dash" model. It is always powered on, so that I don't need the key in the ignition to power it, to charge my cell phone or lights.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I keep a lot in my truck. Not all out of necessity but because I have an excess of flashlights.

In my across the bed toolbox I keep a sofirn sp36 pro. When I need something bright and long running for work it's a go to.

In the cab I have a wurkkos fc12, which is a pretty good 18650 thrower with external charging port. Also a fenix hm23 headlamp in a case with spare eneloop aa's. Lastly I have a pack that I keep behind the seat with some various things for emergencies and such. In there I have a surefire e2d ultra 1000 lumen version, fenix e20 v2, and sofirn sp10 pro. For those I have a surefire spare cr123 carrier and some lithium aa's also.

Basically I could leave the house without a flashlight and have plenty of options to choose from just out of the truck. In an emergency situation it could also be helpful to equip other people with a flashlight.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
I have a NOCO in my vehicle.

It's a great like jump starter for vehicles incase the battery isn't doing its job.

It has a built in light which is fantastic for any type of car trouble, not too bright but also very floody so you can see what you need too.

I always have a flashlight on my person, so If I'm in the vehicle... There is a light on me.

I try to avoid keeping too much in my vehicle, especially visible. Thats an easy way to get your car broken into and items stolen. Sadly.

Watts_on

Newly Enlightened
In winter, the temperature around here drops below freezing for weeks at a time, and there are at least a few nights each year where the temperature gets well below zero. After some disappointing battery leakage in my 3D Maglite (followed by switch replacement!), my car now has a Fenix TK15 with CR123 batteries. I replace them each year. In my opinion, a flashlight ought to last all night long in case you have to get out of your car and walk some distance. The TK15's higher output levels and strobe feature could also be useful.
I also keep a Coast headlamp with E2 Lithium AAA's in the car's first aid kit.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a maglite running on nimh cells and a fenix headlamp of some kind in my work truck…….

After working a tornado earlier in the year we were on our 37th straight hour of work and I had no lights. Didn't have time to charge anything and didn't have enough nimh batteries to get me through the storm before I got sent home. First and only time that will happen to me. Lessons were learned that day. I also had a sinus infection when we started. I guess where I was already sick and messed up it hurt me worse than I thought. Ended up with shingles on my face and head and in my ear and mouth and eye. 😐