What is so great about surefire's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I asked myself the same question about 8 years ago when i happened to stumble on to them i pulled the plug and got my first S/F an E2E.That was all she wrote.There is just something about the way they feel,handle and work they just have quality written all over them.There are other lights out there that have way more power and options but they just don't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling of being a great light like S/F does

TexLite

Enlightened
Think about it like this.Different vehicles are built for different purposes.All travel up and down the road,burn fuel,carry things.Some are designed to carry passengers,while others are designed to carry passengers.I have a Ram 2500 4x4 pickup,Cummins diesel,my wifes vehicle is smaller,more efficient etc.We could get in either vehicle and go on a trip,run an errand,pickup groceries,whatever,and either vehicle would be perfectly fine.In fact,we probably wouldnt notice much of a difference,until one or the other was asked to perform outside its design parameters.Such as taking a curve at high speed in my truck,ok in a car,but not my truck.Neither would I be able to hook onto a 4000lb skid and drag it out of a jobsite that looks like a war zone with that same car,but I can with my truck,and it will do it day in and day out without a hitch.Sure,its not as refined or economical,but thats not always my need,sometimes robustness trumps finesse.Sometimes the situation warrants finesse,sometimes robustness.There is a place for both.

Thanks,
Michael

AvroArrow

Enlightened
I was once in the same position, questioning the value of Surefires because they didn't really seem to have the best bang for buck value to me. By the time I bought my first Surefire (A2 Aviator w/white LEDs) I had already owned a bunch of Fenix L1/2P, L0P, Nuwai Q3, Arc AAA, LSL/LSH, and my most expensive and prized light (at the time), a HDS U60GT. So I already had a pretty good notion and expectation of what a quality light should be and feel like. The A2 did not disappoint.

It's not the brightest, smallest, technically advanced light, heck, it wouldn't even take rechargeables, but there was something... dare I say... magical about holding a Surefire for the first time. The build quality is instantly obvious, it just feels right and serious. The HA finishing quality/thickness is awesome, but the color matching is an entirely different story. My HA Natural A2-WH, A2-RD, L4, and E2e are all multi-hued. My A2-WH is 4 obvious different shades of HA natural and there are only 4 physical pieces to it. So if you are picky about color matched lights, then Surefire's HA natural lights are not for you. Their HA black is a bit better but they still won't win any beauty contests. To their credit, these lights are not meant to be beauty queens, they're meant to be used and abused. They are also one of the very, very few manufacturers who under rate their lumen specs. See this thread for a recent example.

My recently purchased Nitecore D10 & EX10 put my Surefires to shame in terms of HA color matching, output, and small size, but the build quality of the fit and finish still have a ways to go. Surefires also have a proven reliability record (except for the older clickies which aren't as reliable as the old twisties), plus their lego-like modularity and compatibility are second to none. You can take any Surefire E-series tailcap and use it on any E-series body and it will work.

If you are really interested, go to a local gun/knife/army surplus shop that carries Surefires and see if they have some display models you can handle so that you can see and handle it for yourself. Or like someone else mentioned, buy one off BST to try out, something cheap like a 6P with a LED drop-in (not a G2/3xx light, the nitrolin body is totally different from the metal bodied lights) and if you don't like it, put it up for sale again, you won't lose much, maybe the shipping cost and you can think of that as the price to try out a Surefire.

generic808

Enlightened
It's too hard to actually explain, but once you get your hand on one, or twenty, you'll know what we're talking about :thumbsup:

da.gee

Enlightened
I joined here a year ago and went through this same thing. What is so great about SFs? I could buy brighter and smaller lights all day long from Fenix or Olight or any number of manufacturers. Today I have 2 G2Ls, 3 6Ps, an A2-YG, an E2E Winelight II, an E2E, a Cree E2L (the loooooong runtime version mentioned by carrot, amazing), an E1E on the way, a couple drop-ins for the 6Ps, miscellaneous tailcaps, lamps and bezels, etc. I may have forgotten some .

For people I really like I have gifted a number of G2Ls. My Dad will be getting a 6PL I just bought off the CPFMP for no particular reason other than it seems to fit him as an avid gun collector and I know he appreciates fine machining.

I don't buy many other lights these days except SFs and and customs. There a few SFs I would still like to get. Can't think of another mass produced light I would like right now with the exception being some Deerelight items and I do like that Bitz thing. Once you've gotten past really bright cylinders and realize they are just that you kind of want something more. An SF just feels like something you want to have even though it is not the brightest or longest runtime or ultimate whatever.There is just something about them.

Now I know someone is sitting out there snickering about the fact that I have spent so much more money than they have, have fewer lumens and less runtime. A year ago I was that person but no longer. I get it. Pass the Kool-Aid.

streetmaster

Enlightened
My Dad will be getting a 6PL I just bought off the CPFMP for no particular reason other than it seems to fit him as an avid gun collector and I know he appreciates fine machining.
I bought the exact same light for my Dad for the same reason, and he absolutely loves it.

rgp4544

Newly Enlightened
I've tried other lights, most recently a NiteCore Defender Infinity, but none compare to Surefire.

Surefires work and Surefires are user friendly. Surefires are designed to be ergonomic and operate according to KISS principles. Surefire lights come with a lifetime no questions asked warranty. And, unfortunately, every time I've tried other manufacturers' lights that are "as good as a Surefire," I've been disappointed.

A lot of the lights that people say are "as good as a Surefire" seem to be designed without much thought to how the purchaser will carry or use the light. An example of this is the NDI, which has an impractical high/low switch mechanism, no pocket clip, no holster, and the included "lanyard" is useless garbage. The only way to carry the NDI without spending more money is to let it flop around in your pocket which gets annoying fast.

Compare that to a Surefire L1 or A2, both of which are easy to carry and include both a pocket clip and a lanyard (both clip and lanyard designed in from the beginning rather than added later as an afterthought), and both can fit in easily available holsters. Both of those Surefires are dual stage lights and neither requires an instruction manual to use. If you want more than two stages of light, the Surefire K2 and U2 are the easiest multistage lights to operate and no instructions are required, you can take them out of the package and take one look at them to figure out how they work and start using them immediately.

During the past several years of using Surefires, my only problem with a Surefire was with a tailcap on a K2. The light was still functional even with the defective tailcap installed, but when I called customer service, Surefire immediately mailed me a replacement tailcap at no charge.

Try a Surefire, and try all the other lights you want. You'll end up keeping the Surefires. Better yet, save yourself the trouble and a lot of money and just buy the Surefire that best suits your needs.

jchoo

Enlightened
The wonderful combination of tactile feel, balance, and purpose is why I love mine. I've had a couple of L1s (sold/traded), an E2DL (single stage, EDC with Z61), and a red A2 Aviator. A C2-HA is next on my list, but I might hold off until the UA2 comes out to see how that feels.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still own my first 6P it is many (Over 10) years old and works like new.
Surefire with a call will send new switched or other easily replaceable parts free.
If a Surefire breaks they fix it free forever. All I have to do is sent it to them.
Surefire is very busy creating new and innovative designs. Like the many new lights brought to market this year and more on the way.

Surefire flashlights like the A2 for example are still not equalled on the market there is still no regulated incandescent flashlight available in the same class as the A2. the E1B is totally unique with an extremely efficient TIR optical system.
I really could go on and on. Surefire doesn't come out with a new light every month like some cheap companies, they don't need to. The lights they build will sell when they are available. They have very good quality.
One interesting thing about Surefire is that it is a privately owned company. They are not working under the constraints of a group of anxious stockholders. I am sure they make money on some lights and possibly loose money on others (rare). They just keep coming with with cool stuff.
My next surefire will be the UA2 Optimus. This is one light I am really looking forward to. The Invictus looks very cool too.
Surefire is a good company with a very high quality product.
Buy one then you will know.
Yaesumofo

5x5

Newly Enlightened
Have you ever had one? I suggest you buy one, then you'll be able to comprehend. You can yap all you want, we can yap all we want, but unless you held the merchandise in your hand you'll never grasp a thing that we say. :thumbsup:

I have one (6PL) and so far I'm not that impressed when compared to my Fenix, Tiablo and Inova's. Also, when I compare my SF and my co-workers SF's (E2DL, E1B, A2) with his other torches (Fenix, Nitecore, Lummi, Lumapower, Deree and others) I find the SF's to be just above average as far as overall quality and a bit on the expensive side for my use.

There are so many others that have better machining, HA, switch feel and performance than my 6PL. Hell, I have a hard-used Mini, 4D and 2D Mags that I've had for 15+ years that show no signs of slowing down that have only needed replacement bulbs. I've since upgraded to LEDs on them and plan to mod a new 2C, so from my personal experience, Mags have never let me down and I trust them more than SF's at this point. These should outlast me just like I expect the 6PL to do the same. Maybe SF will sway my opinion in time but for now they are a bit overpriced for the initial quality impression in comparison. I have no doubt that my 6PL will last a lifetime, but I also feel the same way about my others.

Now I will admit that there is a significantly noticeable quality difference between my "premium" brands compared to the Task Force, Rayovac and Coleman LEDs that I've acquired out of curiousity and some DX/KD lights but they are just fun to "play" with and usually hand those cheapies out for people to use and keep the good stuff for me. It's just SF's to me are nothing "special". What does make me feel good SF them is that they are made in the US like Mags and from a patriotic and economic standpoint, I feel good about supporting US companies and is one of the main reasons I purchased the 6PL. The other being it is built like a tank. But solidity and quality to me are not necessarily related.

Now I do realize the intended market for SF products and I'm sure they do what they were designed to do and do it well. But my standards are not measure in mil-spec and having a light that will survive a grenade is not important to me. I'm guessing the reason that SF's have such a huge following is their marketing engine. Seriously, I see SF' adds in so many magazines that I read. And to tell you the truth, I may just get another SF. The U2 looks interesting. But I'll definitely have to save up for and I'll probably get others before it.

^ ...just my little ol' opinion.

BTW, first post but a closet flashaholic for technically 15+ years and especially since the LED explosion. My co-worker told me about CPF and I had to check it out. Been lurking the boards and taking solace in the fact that there are others as ill as me and more so :grin2:. Just like to say "heeeyyyy" I'm out of the closet now! :wave:

FAAbUlights

Newly Enlightened
BTW, first post but a closet flashaholic for technically 15+ years and especially since the LED explosion. My co-worker told me about CPF and I had to check it out. Been lurking the boards and taking solace in the fact that there are others as ill as me and more so :grin2:. Just like to say "heeeyyyy" I'm out of the closet now! :wave:

Welcome, and good to have you aboard!

Last edited by a moderator:

brucec

Enlightened
My Surefires live a nice life on a shelf for the most part. I have plenty of other lights that are more interesting and fun to use. Heck, I don't even take them camping, due to the weight. But when our building was evacuated last night for a fire alarm, it's the Surefire 6P that I grabbed. No modes, no levels, just push the button and light comes out. Every time.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I believe that one of the things not discussed thus far was the real life performance vs. stated specs. Obviously SF adjusted the output of many lights and geared them more toward runtime. Others are flat out impressive given their understated lumens. Every time I use the L1 I'm blown away with the beam quality and throw. It's rated at 65 lumens but puts out about the same amount of light as my "120" lumens lights, like the Novatac, and Bitz. The E2DL is on par with any Fenix, and Nitecore that I own. Actually, it throws further. I don't even pay attention to SF output specs anymore because it pointless to compare them that way. If it has the features that I like, I just buy it because I know that it will perform better than the numbers would indicate.

As the others have already stated, the quality is very close to that of many custom lights. I'm a big E and M series fan myself.

brucec

Enlightened
Oh, and one more thing...Surefire is a spinoff from Newport Corporation. Newport is basically #1 or #2 for research grade optical equipment like lasers, lens mounts, translation stages, floating optical tables, spectrometers, you name it. Nearly every optical laboratory, giant telescope, etc is using Newport equipment. If they can build a 6-axis vibration damping translation stage with nanometer precision, I think they can build a flashlight with smooth threads and o-rings. I don't think Fenix could do the converse.

bezel

Newly Enlightened
Carrot already eluded, but an obsolete SF that you bought 4 years ago still seems to have good worth.

And of course, the "it factor" (the unexplainable)

The warranty and the fact that SF doesn't seem to put you through unnecessary hoops that other companies use to dissuade you from even bothering them.

Conservative ratings rather than stretching the truth.

Tendancy towards timelessness.

Updates tend to be made without engineering unnecessary incompatibilities.

Interchangeability.

Designs more geared towards working in the field in less than ideal situaltions rather than having numbers that look good on paper.

Fird

Enlightened
Marketing.

Like Bose for sound, it's a $90 boombox marketed up to $900

Marketing.

Like Bose for sound, it's a $90 boombox marketed up to $900

You might find something different from Surefire within its price range, but you will never find something that is better. Isn't it funny how people see things differently?:D

looman

Enlightened
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but I'm actually curious. I see they are a very popular brand of light around these parts, and I am sure they have amazing build quality, but the runtimes and lumens ratings don't seem that spectacular to me, plus they are very expensive. It seems funny to me to that so many ppl buy them because it seems like everyone buys one and then mods it anyway. So what is it about Surefire that everybody loves and what specifically makes their build quality stand out?

However, if you are non american and live outside, expect exhorbitant prices and shite customer service measured in weeks/months.

The product is great build quality.

LED lights are lower on performace than competitors

Competition is hotting up and the quality of the competition is getting better all the time too.

Surefire need to realise this or be overhauled.

Status
Not open for further replies.