What is the attraction of multiple-cell AA lights?

eff

Enlightened
Re: What is the attraction of multiple-AA lights?

eff,
That was an interesting video, thanks for presenting it. I'd like to point out that cells for R/C flying are typically LiPO cells, because in part, they are lighter. Their chemistry is a little bit different from the typical 18650 battery, and therefore the statements in the video are not necessarily directly transferable.

Ok thanks for the info :). All this stuff does not prevent me from using my lithium lights, it's just that I'm a bit more careful now :D

Petir

Newly Enlightened

Off topic question: how do you do that mcgyver thingy with a 9V battery and tinfoil?
I did not watch the entire TV show....

Disciple

Enlightened

Off topic question: how do you do that mcgyver thingy with a 9V battery and tinfoil?

Damnit guys, it's MacGyver.

If you crack open most 9V batteries you get six smaller cells in series, each about "AAAA" size. I presume tinfoil would be used to extend the length of the cell to match a AA, then the whole thing would be wrapped in e.g. paper to keep it together, insulate, and fill the battery tube. I've never done it. With a bit more care you could keep three of the cells in series and replace an 18500 or 18650 cell. (Only for very low power of course.)

Last edited:

cerbie

Enlightened

You never run down a set of cells in normal use? I find that surprising. Do you usually avoid using the "high" mode on your lights? If so why not choose a smaller, lighter one for the task at hand?
I try to use what I need, with multimode lights, and don't buy pocket rockets--my work flashlight is a <100lm (by comparison) M61LL 219 in a G2, to give you an idea. What I mainly avoid are flashlights that can't hold enough Wh inside them to give at least a couple hours of constant on time, not counting small single-cell torches. A mutli-18650 "soup can" or the like would be what I would go to if I wanted 1000lm, FI, rather than 1x123 or 2x123/1x18650.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the attraction of multiple-AA lights?

Includes using AAAs, CR123s, 18650s (or any other cell <19mm diameter).... and also the reverse - using flashlight cells (ie, 14500s, 3v CRAAs) in other AA devices. Course, having the right AA light helps ;-)

clicky

Poppy

Flashaholic

No offense intended but I suggest you take this to a new thread as it is off topic for mine. I'd like to keep this one concise enough to be useful to future readers.

Sorry Disciple,
I thought that the thread was already off topic with so much discussion of single cell AAs.

I'll edit my posts. :) easy enough :)

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just wondering how I'd do if I were one of the people hit by that cyclone in the Philippines... :mecry:Say for example, your house reduced to rubble, dead people laying about, power out everywhere, and 200+ km/h winds still going on.

When you need light in such a case, ANY working light+battery combo would do (for starters). So in that case, redundancy would rule: many flashlights & batteries scattered around the house to maximize you chances of finding one. Sharing the same type of battery across flashlights (+ other devices!) would help in that scenario. When you get to the point of scavenging other devices, single-cell lights rule as the first matching battery would do. And no difference there between (charged) rechargeables and primaries, until you've also retrieved a charger and a backup power source like a generator or 12V car battery. +1 for primaries there as they are cheaper & generally keep charge longer, so it's easier to scatter enough of those around the house & find them in useable condition when disaster strikes.

Outside such extreme conditions, it's more of matter of taste, typical uses, and how a light complements your existing inventory. Personally I have a preference for smallish single-cell lights, rechargeable cells, and having at least one for each type of battery would be nice. But can understand the attraction of a 4x AA light for someone who has AA Eneloops everywhere... :D

ven

Flashaholic

For me there are a few reasons in choosing an AA light. Size and compactness is good on the AA lights in general,can still get a good powered light of easy to get hold of batts. I get free AAs in work(along with AAA/C/D ) so that helps,to add if i like the flashlight then i will buy it,simple as that(within reason obv).I got an ea4 for work(along with a t7),however i thought its too nice to be dropped,covered in oil and dust, so it came home and eneloops now fuel it.Also bought the ea8 with same mindset and that is at home too again with eneloops.Using an 18650 in work is not practical for me for charging/safety reasons so AAA or AA cell are better suited.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast

You never run down a set of cells in normal use? I find that surprising. Do you usually avoid using the "high" mode on your lights? If so why not choose a smaller, lighter one for the task at hand?

Why is it surprising to never fully discharge a set of cells from normal use? That's like running your car to empty. I never want to run out of juice in a flashlight, unless it's under circumstances that are labelled a disaster, upon which the spare cells are used to keep everything lit up.

As for never using "high" mode, well, that's like driving everywhere with your engine always at the redline. Sometimes you need it, mostly you don't. Probably why I haven't bought anything brighter than a TK41 as I use the turbo mode maybe once or twice during a walk at night, and usually just to see how awesome turbo mode indeed is.

For anything but S&R I find 200-300lms all I need for night activities. Even when walking the dog it's usually around the 150-250lm mark I find most comfortable on the eyes. Otherwise there's too much eye strain between the beam you're shining and the surrounding darkness.

And to keep this post on topic - I think the 4xAA plastic body on the LD40/E40 is probably the most comfortable body style to hold in your hand. Another reason why multiple AA cell lights have attraction.

mongogeek

Newly Enlightened

On the other hand, I have 17* 18650 batteries @ ~ 90% charge, and I know where each and every one of them is.

I love it!

My experience with AA flashlights has been mediocre. Sure AA batteries are getting cheap and better, but for me and my "green" attitude, I like to recharge and recycle my batteries. I have bought a dozen or so AA energizer rechargables with mixed results. They are good for a few things like the kids electronics toys and flashlights. Sometimes nice to have around for Christmas gifts and such, but when it comes to my flashlights, I want something that works.

Call me a cheap a$$, but my interest in 18650 cells came about from a few laptop batteries I had from my old company laptops. I decided to tear them apart to see what's inside and what I could recycle. Boy was I surprised at the number of cells and that very few of them were unusable. I must have 12 or 15 cells laying around for me to swap into flashlights when I need too. I opted to spend a little extra care in charging them, storing them and using them since they are unprotected, but they seem to perform almost as well as the protected 3000mah cells I've bought in the past.

Ok, so my drawers are stocked with AA, AAA, 18650, C and D cell flashlights, but I prefer the 18650s over all the others.

Treeguy

Enlightened

Why AA? As Henry David Thoreau said, "Simplify, simplify!"

Though it may be boring, having mulitple flashlights of the same type is best in an emergency situation. And having those flashlights function on batteries that can be bought or salvaged almost anywhere is even better.

When things get rough for a short period, being fancy is fine. But when things get funky for days and even weeks, a simple plan is the best plan. Right now, 20,000 people are without power in my area. (I'm amazed I haven't lost it yet.) And twice in the last year we've had storms that left fairly large areas where I am without power for up to two-weeks – once in the winter and once in the summer. Just buying gas at the one open station was a twenty-kilometer trip and then you had line ups.

A fancy flashlight is great for having on you when you are out and about. But in the emergency drawer, reliable AA lights with lots of batteries and hundreds of hours of available usage is the way to go. Simplify, simplify!

Poppy

Flashaholic

Why AA? As Henry David Thoreau said, "Simplify, simplify!"

Though it may be boring, having mulitple flashlights of the same type is best in an emergency situation. And having those flashlights function on batteries that can be bought or salvaged almost anywhere is even better.

When things get rough for a short period, being fancy is fine. But when things get funky for days and even weeks, a simple plan is the best plan. Right now, 20,000 people are without power in my area. (I'm amazed I haven't lost it yet.) And twice in the last year we've had storms that left fairly large areas where I am without power for up to two-weeks – once in the winter and once in the summer. Just buying gas at the one open station was a twenty-kilometer trip and then you had line ups.

A fancy flashlight is great for having on you when you are out and about. But in the emergency drawer, reliable AA lights with lots of batteries and hundreds of hours of available usage is the way to go. Simplify, simplify!
With all due respect, I think that it has been pretty clearly stated in multiple threads that in wide spread power outages, and other emergencies, batteries are NOT FOR SALE. You had better have them before the emergency, OR have rechargeables, and a means to charge them, especially if things "get funky for days and even weeks!"

Once you have rechargeables, and a means to charge them, then for all intents and purposes, it doesn't matter which battery format you choose. For example, I just bought a 3 mode 5% 40% and 100% output levels, single 18650 battery light driven at 1400 ma. I estimate that the 5% level will deliver about 40 lumens for about 36 hours on one battery. That's almost a week @ 40 lumens. You could probably do about the same with a 6 cell or 8 cell AA light.

sflate

Enlightened

It's true that during an emergency many stores will run out of AA batteries first, which is exactly why I DO keep AA flashlights around. Years ago I standardized on only buying devices that ran on AA batteries if at all possible. At any given moment I have a digital camera, AM/FM/Shortwave Radio, Police Scanner, Tekcharge 4AA emergency charger w/USB jack for iPhone or GPS, and a host of other devices. I also carry adapters to convert AA's to C and D cell size. I carry a Fenix LD22 in my pocket (2AA), a Nitecore EA4 (4AA) and an 8AA to 2D adapter in a cutdown/bored out maglite with a Superbulb with me because more often than not I'm not looking for batteries to run my flashlights but usually looking for batteries for one of my other devices. I mostly use the LD22 but always know I have the EA4 and Maglite with me to hold my spare batteries for my other devices. And, oh yeah, I sometimes use those as flashlights too. :D Years ago I used to carry little plastic containers of AA batteries as spares but soon realized I could carry another devices as my spares. The Tekcharge USB charger for example is only slightly larger than a 4AA plastic holder. And the Nitecore EA4 is pretty small too. May as well carry those than a useless plastic holder. That's my theory anyways.

braddy

Enlightened

Even if you assume that you can't be one of the people who helped clear the shelves of the AAs and AAAs, then they will also be the batteries shipped in from stores outside of the emergency area.

Plus other people have them for trade or for sale who do have a good supply, or bought in bulk and helped clear the shelves, there is an advantage in a battery being so common that most everyone has some, it can be a sort of currency.

AAs are so common that even the kid's closets and grandma's house has them laying around, many people buy them in bulk, and they are stashed in things all around the house, like remotes, clocks, radios, they are interchangeable when switching from lanterns to flashlight, even cooking stoves like the ZZStove use them.

Rechargeable AAs are easier to charge than 18650s because so many chargers and car chargers do it, including the little solar lanterns out in the yard.

For emergencies, I would feel naked without lights that take the ubiquitous AA, which means they also take the AAA of course, it is one reason that I am glad that one of my test meters takes AA batteries.

If I had to give up either my 18650s or my AAs for a long term emergency, it would be the 18650s.

carlb

Newly Enlightened
So I'm going to buy my first good light. I'm not a collector, I just want a good bright light that I can carry or keep in the truck/house. I was all ready to order the fenix ld-35 then I read this thread. Should I get the fenix Ld-41-xm instead since it takes aa batteries?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Poppy

Flashaholic

It's true that during an emergency many stores will run out of AA batteries first, which is exactly why I DO keep AA flashlights around.
During Sandy, for some reason, some parts of my state ran out of C and D batteries, and other parts AA batteries faster, however it wasn't long before the only batteries available were button cells, CR123s (at $3-$4 each) and 9V.

Years ago I standardized on only buying devices that ran on AA batteries if at all possible. At any given moment I have a digital camera, AM/FM/Shortwave Radio, Police Scanner, Tekcharge 4AA emergency charger w/USB jack for iPhone or GPS, and a host of other devices. I also carry adapters to convert AA's to C and D cell size. I carry a Fenix LD22 in my pocket (2AA), a Nitecore EA4 (4AA) and an 8AA to 2D adapter in a cutdown/bored out maglite with a Superbulb with me because more often than not I'm not looking for batteries to run my flashlights but usually looking for batteries for one of my other devices. I mostly use the LD22 but always know I have the EA4 and Maglite with me to hold my spare batteries for my other devices. And, oh yeah, I sometimes use those as flashlights too. :D Years ago I used to carry little plastic containers of AA batteries as spares but soon realized I could carry another devices as my spares. The Tekcharge USB charger for example is only slightly larger than a 4AA plastic holder. And the Nitecore EA4 is pretty small too. May as well carry those than a useless plastic holder. That's my theory anyways.
reppans made this point earlier, and I agree.

Personally, I am looking forward to the day when all those "tools" are offered in the 18650 format so that I can standardize all in one cell.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic

Even if you assume that you can't be one of the people who helped clear the shelves of the AAs and AAAs, then they will also be the batteries shipped in from stores outside of the emergency area.

If I helped clear the shelves, it would be to help my neighbors who didn't prepare.
However since I have enough rechargeables and lights to supply my house, and four other neighbors, or more, I'd probably leave them for the more unfortunate.

After Sandy, the shelves were BARE for two weeks. They may have shipped batteries in from other stores, but if they were, they were bought up FASTER THAN IMMEDIATELY.

Plus other people have them for trade or for sale who do have a good supply, or bought in bulk and helped clear the shelves, there is an advantage in a battery being so common that most everyone has some, it can be a sort of currency.
I'm all smiles :)
"What? A dollar a piece? Hmmm... Sorry, no. I have rechargeables."

AAs are so common that even the kid's closets and grandma's house has them laying around, many people buy them in bulk, and they are stashed in things all around the house, like remotes, clocks, radios, they are interchangeable when switching from lanterns to flashlight, even cooking stoves like the ZZStove use them.

I have AAs, AAAs, Cs, Ds, and 6V SLAs lying around the house. So what? I also have four cars with fully charged 12V batteries, and an extra in the garage. So what?... well they can be used to recharge smaller batteries... AAs and 18650s etc.
Rechargeable AAs are easier to charge than 18650s beco many chargers and car chargers do it, including the little solar lanterns out in the yard.

The NitecoreIntellicharger works out of the car, and can charge both AAs and 18650s at the same time.
I have car chargers. One is for LiIon, such as for the 18650's
The other for NiMH, my AAs and AAAs.

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Additional thanks to Disciple for starting this thread. I just read through the entire thing, and it was informative. It has not changed my mind in the least about 18650s being the best available cell, but I do better appreciate why others like AA better (given different priorities). To each her own! Either type is leaps and bounds better than it was even 10 years ago, and will cover most needs and then some. Nice to have options...

braddy

Enlightened

So I'm going to buy my first good light. I'm not a collector, I just want a good bright light that I can carry or keep in the truck/house. I was all ready to order the fenix ld-35 then I read this thread. Should I get the fenix Ld-41-xm instead since it takes aa batteries?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

What are you looking for in the light?

braddy

Enlightened

I have all the 18650 I need, I edc a PD35, and I own the Nitecorecharger with car plug, but as an almost lifelong survivalist and prepper, I would give up my 18650s before my AA/AAAs, which I count as the same battery almost, since I own many AAA to AA adapters, and D and C adapters of course for the AAs.