What is The Best Way To Get Rid of Mice

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Re: How do you keep mice out of an RV

Merged another rodent thread into this one...

Last edited:

Magichunter

Newly Enlightened
The ultrasonic device with which has been working so well for me in my RV is the Victor Mini Pest Chaser, model # M751 available in most hardware stores for approximately $8.

IcantC

Enlightened
Re: How do you keep mice out of an RV

I recently saw some mice in my garage so set up traps with PB on them. Caught and killed 3.

I also cannot seal the place where they come from, so picked up some Shake Away
http://www.critter-repellent.com/mice/how-to-get-rid-of-mice.php

I picked it up from Ace hardware. It is organic and will not be harmgful to you, pets or kids. Make sure to get the one for rats/mice. Magichunter, this will work well for you. Sprinkle it inside and outside around the RV. You can vacuum the inside later on to remove it. If parked outside, the water will wash it away though.

I use the Victory mouse traps, I accidently got the metal ones this time, they suck. Get the plastic yellow cheese ones as pictured here
http://www.victorpest.com/store/pro...M033&mscssid=SXEMP85JW6DK9H4LHPAMMPME5BFNAK22

Funny story, the other day I open my garage door as I start up my bike. I am putting on my helmet and gloves and this mouse comes running out. Almost as if he saw me, waited and then came out. He ran right through all THREE traps and then jumped outside! He paused looked and ran away! hahahahah Almost to show me he is smarter than me...

Wellll 2 days later he got killed in my PB trap :D.

beerwax

Enlightened
i had a microwave oven die last year. when i dismantled it i found a dead mouse with an outreached arm grasping onto the electronics . somehow he got inside thru the little vent slots. if you think 'there is no way a mouse can fit thru there' you are wrong. cheers.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
For years I've used a product called Just One Bite that can be quite effective.

As others have pointed out the best method to keep your house free of mice is to get a cat or two. Just make sure that you get a good mouser. Years ago, I had a cat that was such a good mouser I never would even see any mice around here, even out in my barn.

After that cat passed on I got another cat that was even better and no critters were safe from his predatory instincts. He loved to chase moths as well as chipmunks and mice. One time, I saw him leap more than two feet up off the deck outside and swipe a bat right out of the air. He went nuts, 'cause he caught what must have seemed to him like a cross between a moth and a mouse. He liked to catch flying squirrels too.

I have a bird feeder in the back yard that is about six feet above the ground on a pole. I looked out one day and saw my cat sitting on top of the bird feeder waiting for the birds to come to him! Hadda' put a stop to that.

Then I got a cat who tried his best very best to catch mice but he was completely useless. They would run circles around him until he would give up. I watched him chasing a chipmunk and while he was still trying to find where it disappeared to down at ground level the chipmunk was sitting safely up on the deck railing watching him with an amused sort of look on his face. One time, I saw a mouse eating kibble right out of this cats bowl while he lay on the floor just watching him but doing nothing. Shortly after that I lost my internet connection because a mouse had chewed through the wires. That's when I gave Just One Bite a try.

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two cats and never have to deal with any rodents. My younger cat, Tigg, is a frisky grey tabby and an excellent mouser. If a rodent does enter the home, his hunting instincts come out instantly and there's no more rodent problem. Sockeye, on the other hand, is just a lazy old tomcat who wouldn't chase a mouse if his next meal depended on it.

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened
We had an exterminator come over and he told me that while the snap traps like the old wooden ones are effective, they might not be the best solution since there might be infectious bodily fluids to clean up. Made sense to me. He said slow acting poisons are better since they go somewhere else (hopefully away from your house) to die.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had some success with the ultra sonics. Victor like someone posted above. But at my current house they don't work. I guess the ancient wiring (ceramic tube in the wall) has the wires too far apart to work?

I have had a lot of luck with Bit O Honey instead of Peanut Butter. They can't eat it off the trap and get blasted to mouse Valhalla. I got 15 mice with one trap and one application of Bit O Honey.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I propose this: Earsplitten Loudenboomer (Rightmost in picture)... You'll probably miss... Alot... But why not have some fun trying to get rid of the buggers?

EarsplittenLoudenboomer.jpg

beerwax

Enlightened
I propose this: Earsplitten Loudenboomer (Rightmost in picture)... You'll probably miss... Alot... But why not have some fun trying to get rid of the buggers?

EarsplittenLoudenboomer.jpg

hi JG. how would you know if you hit the mouse ? cheers

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
My neighbor's wife reported a mouse in their garage and I helped him set some traps and bait up.

As an experiment, we also made a "bucket trap" similar to this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jezQKOl5q-w except we used a wire coat hanger to hold the can instead of a dowel. Smeared peanut butter all over the can as bait. You can leave the bucket empty if you want to catch them alive but I filled it with old coolant from his truck (antifreeze is slippery so it is more difficult for the mouse to climb out not to mention being toxic):naughty:

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
To control rodents in SE Asia, and I believe also in South America, native peoples keep constrictor snakes in the home in place of cats. And I've known of useless cats but have never heard of a lazy snake. I'm just saying.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
My neighbor's wife reported a mouse in their garage and I helped him set some traps and bait up.

As an experiment, we also made a "bucket trap" similar to this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jezQKOl5q-w except we used a wire coat hanger to hold the can instead of a dowel. Smeared peanut butter all over the can as bait. You can leave the bucket empty if you want to catch them alive but I filled it with old coolant from his truck (antifreeze is slippery so it is more difficult for the mouse to climb out not to mention being toxic):naughty:

I saw this posting after composing my own snake suggestion... just want to mention that antifreeze tastes great and is highly attractive to dogs and possibly cats and it is indeed fatally toxic, causing irreversible liver damage. One would not want to leave the antifreeze mouse bucket where a dog could get it. A mouse in that situation probably wouldn't be looking for a sweet snack and would probably just slowly drown in it anyway, so if that's what is wanted surely water would do just as well.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

We have had too many mice and rats that don't seem to like peanut butter at all. They won't touch it even on a brand new out of the package mouse trap.