What is the deal with Surefire these days?!

11Blg

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I just joined the forum to recount my experience with Surefire. I don't do much on forums so probably won't be much of a presence around here other than to submit my report.

Some background because it's relevant: My experience with the company stems from the military starting in the mid 2000's. As an Infantryman I was issued a 6P handheld, 6 and 9 volt weaponlights I believe from the millennium series, and the helmet lights when they became available. Later on we upgraded to m600 scout lights. We also had huge crew served weapon lights called the "hellfire" or "hellfighter" or some such thing. As far as the military was concerned Surefire was it. Out of all those lights we never had major issues other than the extremely short run times especially the 9v weaponlights as they only had a run time of 20 minutes. Obviously everyone carried spare batteries and those were a significant portion of individual loadouts. Throughout my career it's been surefire or streamlights that you were issued for your duties. They were tough and took a helluva beating.

Fast forward:

I recently purchased a fury intellibeam as I liked the intellibeam function, going from administrative use of a light to more urgent uses is annoying having to fumble with UI's no matter how intuitive. I also wanted a light that runs 18650's. Upon receiving the light it would not go into high output mode, like an over voltage cut off or something. I sent it in. 2 odd weeks later I get back a light that looks like it's endured roughly 3 months or so of duty use, and the attached invoice stated that the lens was broken so it had been replaced. I sent in a light in pristine condition and got back a well used looking one that apparently had a broken lens. I wondered how the hell they had managed to smear the lens on the inside and when I read the invoice I found out. They replaced the lens and did a sloppy job. So I called CS, this guy was actually squared away and tried to track down what had gone wrong. He concluded that perhaps one of the receiving clerks had gotten the lights mixed up. He said that they would send me a brand new one regardless of what the issue was. So now I suppose I get to wait another few weeks, and I'm feeling dubious about what I'll get in the mail from them this time. When I add up all the details, I'm going to look for another company to spend my personal money on gear augmentation with. The whole thing has felt like a circus so far, not like a squared away company that has been a go to for decades. It was my mistake not recording the S/N of the light I sent them, I'm curious to know whether they sent me a different customers light or just threw mine down the stairs a few dozen times.

So take this information for what you will, I just wanted to share it with the light community and also ask…is this the norm for them now? Seems they've gone downhill as a company, resting on their laurels perhaps….

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not going to comment about the substance at this point, but I'm glad you posted this, and will definitely look forward to your hopefully posting the results when the dust settles and you evaluate the outcome / their ultimate response to the issue(s). I'm also sorry to hear of your difficulty, of course!

11Blg

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the comments and replies. I would characterize myself as more puzzled than angry at this point. I know very well that mistakes are made but it sure seems like a lot of bumbling for a company that presents itself the way they do, with a pedigree to back it up that I have seen firsthand up to this point.

I will update this until the matter is concluded, and that's about it.

tango44

Enlightened
Same happened to me, Two times! I don't know what the problem is with the Fury's but two lights had a burned LED and they sent me used ones I had to claim again, and they sent me new one with no package, I sold both, there is something wrong with the leds from the factory.
I think that covid excuses and lazy people are affecting major companies' performance on customer care service...

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire is no longer the king of illumination tools & hand held torches are not the company's focus.

In many ways I would say Malkoff is now what SF used to be back in their glory days, minus perhaps the innovation. They have a very traditional approach to flashlights. Nothing fancy, but it always works.

Ive had some problems with my Fury Intellibeam myself, especially with flickering when using 18650s. Its likely a driver issue & remains unresolved to this day. Its a shame because the Intellibeam technology is very unique and could be fantastic if done well. Surefire still makes quality lights, but their priorities have shifted.

11Blg

Newly Enlightened
I just received an email that surefire has received the jacked up light they sent me. So presumably the replacement will go out this week. I'm actually ok with receiving one sans package as long as it is in good condition as that would imply that they perhaps tested it for function prior to sending it out. Of course they should do that before packaging new ones but given the case with the first one….

I suspect they may have picked up some arrogance as a company, similar to some European companies that shall not be named. "We are beyond reproach and so are our products, and if you have a problem you'll get what you get and like it, if not you're obviously wrong".

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I sent an old 200 lumen e2d and an E1L in for lens replacement. They replaced the lens on the E1L and everything is good there but the e2d came back with a 1000 lumen two mode e2d head and a different tailcap that had been banged up. They added a two way clip as requested but they put on a well used one that was bent a little bit. That's pretty strange since they send out brand new clips for free upon request.

I did send an email because I want the original e2d parts back instead of this weird mashup. We'll see what happens but it's very odd and non professional for them to stick random used parts on and not contact me about any of it first since it's outside the scope of the work that was requested.

11Blg

Newly Enlightened
I sent an old 200 lumen e2d and an E1L in for lens replacement. They replaced the lens on the E1L and everything is good there but the e2d came back with a 1000 lumen two mode e2d head and a different tailcap that had been banged up. They added a two way clip as requested but they put on a well used one that was bent a little bit. That's pretty strange since they send out brand new clips for free upon request.

I did send an email because I want the original e2d parts back instead of this weird mashup. We'll see what happens but it's very odd and non professional for them to stick random used parts on and not contact me about any of it first since it's outside the scope of the work that was requested.
You would think it isn't profitable for them to keep putting mixmaster crap on them with people just sending it right back but I guess not…

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
MM, SF repair shop will confiscate (steal) your older model flashlights, and then send whatever they decide as replacement without first contacting you!

In my case, i called SF the very next morning, requested the employee by name, and made it clear to him that i could drive to the shop and be there before he leaves for home that same day..

My second gen z2 was returned (2nd day delivery) received in same condition sent.. Without apologizing the worker told me to keep the new G2z they sent. I gifted the nitrolon, think it was 350 or 400 lms, only high..

SF is good for sending older replacement parts if they have 'em in stock. But Do Not send older or vintage models. Whenever possible make the repairs yourself.

Last edited:

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Odd, I have bought and abused surefire lights since I was 18 (a while ago). Their customer service is spot on and I've never had an issue. Which is why I keep buying their products, but hey all companies cannot be perfect. I know when I had a couple of cheap alkaline batteries blow up in my E2L AA outdoorsman, they sent me info on how to clean it and made it very clear that if I sent it back it would get replaced by an EB1 Max Vision because they no longer make parts for it.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
MM, SF repair shop will confiscate (steal) your older model flashlights, and then send whatever they decide as replacement without first contacting you!

In my case, i called SF the very next morning, requested the employee by name, and made it clear to him that i could drive to the shop and be there before he leaves for home that same day..

My second gen z2 was returned (2nd day delivery) received in same condition sent.. Without apologizing the worker told me to keep the new G2z they sent. I gifted the nitrolon, think it was 350 or 400 lms, only high..

SF is good for sending older replacement parts if they have 'em in stock. But Do Not send older or vintage models. Whenever possible make the repairs yourself.
Totally agree. Especially with C-series lights, aftermarket parts are plenty (thanks to conscious mfyers like LF). So may I ask, what was your problem with the Z2 concerned? What exactly was broken, and what did you expect from the pending repair?

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Odd, I have bought and abused surefire lights since I was 18 (a while ago). Their customer service is spot on and I've never had an issue. Which is why I keep buying their products, but hey all companies cannot be perfect. I know when I had a couple of cheap alkaline batteries blow up in my E2L AA outdoorsman, they sent me info on how to clean it and made it very clear that if I sent it back it would get replaced by an EB1 Max Vision because they no longer make parts for it.
Surefire's lighting products are built tough for extreme situations. At least this was the case before. With LED products however things have become much more challenging as additional efforts had to be carried out to protect the driver circuitry inside. Except that, wirings and ICs are prone to fail after prolonged usage, and when that happens, any actual repair would be a real PIA.

Your E2L (2xAA) in question was easy to deal with, as both ends (head and tail) could be opened up to facilitate botched-up battery removal.

It's unfortunate that product cycles have become shorter and shorter these days, as many companies would use this as an excuse to force customers into newer purchases, instead of cherishing and reusing any existing lighting products via modular upgrades. Really pathetic indeed.