What is the deal with Surefire these days?!

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to own a lot of Surefires 10+ years ago and usually had great luck sending them in for warranty service when something crazy happened, like a bulb exploded or I dropped one off the roof of a building. They even replaced my the lens of my original Lux V U2 (at my request) instead of replacing the light with the Cree version since those have terrible beams.

Buuuut... The last few times (which was a while ago, maybe ~5 years) I dealt with SF their service department was dysfunctional to say the least. Sent in three lights with reflectors that clouded over. One light came back with a loose lens ring and the other two had been mangled, like someone used the wrong spanner on the rings. Not a great experience. While that's not the reason I only own one SF now, still that same ancient U2, I'm less likely to recommend them now.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think during this time, you've got to give any company some slack with what they're dealing with. Had two years of Covid with over a million people dying in the U.S. That's a lot of lost skilled labor. Then you had the great resignation from people who wouldn't get the jab. Then you had the shipping container crisis grind everything to a halt last year. Now we have fuel shortages and a shortage of truckers to bring the products to you. Shanghai is locked down. That means the world's largest port is locked down. Hard to get l.e.d.s, computer chips, batteries, metals, plastics to make the lights. Be happy all companies haven't shut down that don't just sell food and fuel yet. In my area, they are closing down every single Westfield mall (in the country) by the end of the year. The country of Nepal went so far as to shut down imports of "luxury items" including cars, precious metals, medical and surgical instruments, readymade garments (clothing), electrical appliances, bicycles, and even some foods. Wonder why customer service sucks? Every company is operating with a skeleton crew of newcomers dealing with record inflation, skyrocketing business costs, skyrocketing fuel and electricity prices, nightmarish shipping issues, and everyone buying online to avoid going out when it feels like the sky is falling.

11Blg

Newly Enlightened
I think during this time, you've got to give any company some slack with what they're dealing with. Had two years of Covid with over a million people dying in the U.S. That's a lot of lost skilled labor. Then you had the great resignation from people who wouldn't get the jab. Then you had the shipping container crisis grind everything to a halt last year. Now we have fuel shortages and a shortage of truckers to bring the products to you. Shanghai is locked down. That means the world's largest port is locked down. Hard to get l.e.d.s, computer chips, batteries, metals, plastics to make the lights. Be happy all companies haven't shut down that don't just sell food and fuel yet. In my area, they are closing down every single Westfield mall (in the country) by the end of the year. The country of Nepal went so far as to shut down imports of "luxury items" including cars, precious metals, medical and surgical instruments, readymade garments (clothing), electrical appliances, bicycles, and even some foods. Wonder why customer service sucks? Every company is operating with a skeleton crew of newcomers dealing with record inflation, skyrocketing business costs, skyrocketing fuel and electricity prices, nightmarish shipping issues, and everyone buying online to avoid going out when it feels like the sky is falling.
Maybe some valid points there except for a few things:

Military/LE such as myself are still expected to perform our jobs to standard regardless of whatever else is going on in the world, and sometimes because of it. Others like me on here can probably agree that the situation has made an already difficult job even more so, though I don't like to speak for everyone in my profession…maybe they will chime in. Anyways as such, our equipment needs to perform to standard as well, which is why at this point I do not use or recommend the fury intellibeam for duty. It is/was a "luxury item" in that I purchased it with my own money IOT make my job easier and to do it more effectively and not an issued item. But unfortunately it needs to be held to the same standard as I am or I can't use it, as it would place additional risk on other people's lives. In summary, Mil/LE are still expected to meet a standard regardless of circumstances and so we have to expect the same of our equipment. This light is from a company that has a very long track record of providing durable and dependable lights to professionals, as I previously mentioned. The light I was hoping to replace with this one is in fact a current issue surefire G2X.

Also…there are many civilian users who depend on surefire and trust them due to their track record. Though the odds are much much lower, this failure may cost lives or result in serious injuries that would have been prevented with simply….a light that works.

Also, these are not cheap lights. Regardless of the hat the buyer wears or the intended purpose, a premium was paid for not only a light, but one that performs well. If we as customers should "cut them some slack" then so should surefire. They get the "slack" and we still get to pay full price?

I bought a new car last summer. The rear passenger doors are laughably fit. It was made only 3 weeks prior to me taking delivery of it. The doors do have a good seal when closed and only people who pay good attention to detail will take any notice. I'm fine with it, it isn't something that will probably become a safety issue ie. the car randomly turns itself off. This is me "cutting them some slack" for the reasons you just mentioned. That's what I get for buying a car during all this.

You certainly made points, just not relevant ones in this case. All I'm doing is trying to illustrate why they aren't relevant. I think I did that.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not saying it's right. You should be able to rely on a Surefire light as well as their customer service if things go wrong. I'm just saying these are not ordinary times. I think someone who spends $70,000 on a Tesla car should have everything working, but due to the computer chip shortage, cars are being sold without all of their features working and an I.O.U. for computer chip installation in maybe another year if we don't pick a fight with China. There's a point where you just have to realize that the company is doing the best they can right now and some things are out of their hands. If that means you have to buy from someone else while they struggle because they aren't living up to your expectations, so be it. There are other companies. Try Novatac, Peak, or Malkoff.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I heard back from surefire and they weren't able to find my original 200 lumen defender head. Must have been thrown away.

I'm not thrilled about that, but I did essentially get a new 1000 lumen defender head for no cost. It's good they will upgrade your light for free, but the not asking you about it first is what I don't like. I will find another 200 lumen model I suppose. They did a great job replacing the lens on my E1L, but be wary of sending old lights to them for repair if you don't want the potential surprise replacement parts.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I heard back from SF one more time and they also gave me a one time use 30% discount code for the mixup. That was good of them so in all the warranty experience worked out alright.

chip100t

Enlightened
It's like leatherman here in the uk, if you send in an old model they just send you a new equivalent model from there current line up.

They are working from the standpoint that they are replacing a "tool" new for old,
Not from the standpoint of being a restorer of collectors items.

And I think surefire market there flashlights as tools unlike some makers (COUGH olight) who really do try to market their lights to collectors by making them in multiple colours and in different metals.

If I broke my ten year old drill and dewalt sent me a brand new one I would be singing there praises.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chip, Agree with your DeWalt analogy.. However, in my case the classic Z2 went into some dudes pocket. The SF employee knew it's value and was hoping the customer did not and would be jumping with joy over a new flashlight

11Blg

Newly Enlightened
I have a few old mil issue leatherman kicks that have some broken tools and I would like to send them in to be repaired. On the warranty form there is a box that can be checked stating "this tool has sentimental value to me, so please do not send me a replacement.". I've just been wondering if it's even worth sending them because I don't think they make the kick anymore.

11Blg

Newly Enlightened
They still might have the replacement tools, I'd ask first beforehand?
Possibly, but you know the tools are black. Even if they have them I doubt they still have black ones or would be willing to coat new ones for me. Still worth asking I suppose, but not exactly a priority.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Possibly, but you know the tools are black. Even if they have them I doubt they still have black ones or would be willing to coat new ones for me. Still worth asking I suppose, but not exactly a priority.
Yep, doesn't hurt to ask. You never know their shop might have the blackened implements.
If not you'll find many on flea Bay. They end up in TSA hands then people auction off on eB..

I own a military Surge. It's from around 2003 bought on a base that's been closed up for awhile. It's also blacked out with a phosphate plating. I like the black finish, especially on weapons, lube oil clings to it.

This thread needs a photo.. Leatherman Surge "Berry Compliant" right down to the pouch 🇺🇲

Attachments

• IMG_20220423_175415867.jpg
    IMG_20220423_175415867.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
To the OP - how the issued SF G2X holding up? I may have missed it, but was this just a personal replacement choice because the issued light was failing to meet a standard (for lack of a better word)? The G2X was chosen by the military for a reason I'm guessing...?

Also, have you checked out the G2X LE?

11Blg

Newly Enlightened
To the OP - how the issued SF G2X holding up? I may have missed it, but was this just a personal replacement choice because the issued light was failing to meet a standard (for lack of a better word)? The G2X was chosen by the military for a reason I'm guessing...?

Sorry I missed this. Not really a forum guy or a flashlight guy. To clarify, I'm not on the mil side of the house anymore. I don't like to touch too much on my job for several reasons.

But to answer your question: No issues with the G2X's, in fact I'm just sticking with them for now. The fury continues to have same weird issue I previously described. So disappointing, almost 20 years in this line of work and all there was for serious use was surefire. If you wanted a better light you went out and got a better surefire.

I haven't looked into the different G2X's, I think those may be the ones we are issued(The LE). There seems to be several flavors of them, not sure what the difference is between them.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I missed this. Not really a forum guy or a flashlight guy. To clarify, I'm not on the mil side of the house anymore. I don't like to touch too much on my job for several reasons.

But to answer your question: No issues with the G2X's, in fact I'm just sticking with them for now. The fury continues to have same weird issue I previously described. So disappointing, almost 20 years in this line of work and all there was for serious use was surefire. If you wanted a better light you went out and got a better surefire.

I haven't looked into the different G2X's, I think those may be the ones we are issued. There seems to be several flavors of them, not sure what the difference is between them.

Before you tune out...

Thank you for your feedback and observations on your recent experiences w/SF products and support. It has been of value to me (and perhaps others), and I appreciate it. Stay safe Sir.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had a couple, very dependable, I keep one as backup in my go bag.
LE is first gen 400/15lm

Attachments

• IMG_20220428_174609365.jpg
    IMG_20220428_174609365.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 61

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the 400 lumen version, sold it, and pretty much immediately regretted it. I now have the 600/15 version and won't part with this one. Also have the G2X Tac and the G2X Pro. Love the polymer body. I think at $79 from SF (cheaper elsewhere), they are a steal. Love that they will run on a KP 16650 AND 2x123 batteries on a pinch. The clip from Malkoff fits unobtrusively and I've just realized that Mark sells a two way clip for them on his site.

11B, sorry that you're having that experience, but I would be hesitant to write off all SF products (or place them in a "lower quality" category) because of that one light. You mentioned you were only using the SF 18650. Perhaps the battery itself is wonky; SF does not make those in house. Also, IMO, the "Intellibeam" seems, and has always seemed...suspect...to me. I know there are people that love the idea and it's usage, but for me....meh. Not trusting my life on a light that may go dim on me in any situation because of an "eye" failure, or "misread," or whatever you want to call it.

Latest posts