What is the REBEL I've been reading about on here?

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Even if the output of an SSC P4 and a Rebel are the same ... Rebel wins in tint.

However, what about efficiency? Does the Reb give up efficiency to gain the great tint Luxeons are known for? :thinking:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok beings this is the rebel LED thread, i have some questions about it that i havent yet seen answers to.

Is it designed to run at 3W ? or another 1W that maxes at 3W

are the lumens per watt (wizz bang) specs for it at 1W or 3?

Is there a new Rebel tint lottery? because different Comparison beamshots of the rebel have shown that it can be purpleish or bluish or yelowish, but i havent yet seen a weak greeney.
is the color spectrum improved at all?

If it is more efficient, why isnt anything more efficient with it? runtime vrses outputs are similar or worse for the rebel.

is it going to be able to dissapate heat off the emitter as well as luxeons other stuff?

does it have more or less phosphors, that will degrade over time?

Being SMALL it should provide a better "bulb item" in flashlights RIGHT? once they make descent reflectors for it

what is the emitter "grid pattern" when projected or magnified?

Last edited:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Iw as thinking about getting a few to play with but then i saw how small they were.
How the heck am i supposed to solder something so small!!!

rebel_subBanner.jpg

kanarie

Enlightened
Iw as thinking about getting a few to play with but then i saw how small they were.
It is a smd component not meant for handsoldering (only if you feel handy)
You can also get them on a star or on a board REBEL on PCB

Last edited:

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Alright... will SOMEONE please answer my question of run times vs. the Cree XR-E?

Also, VidPro has a lot of questions that are great... please answer them and stop going off topic (please).

Thank you,
Ryan

Last edited:

Skavoovie

Newly Enlightened
Is it designed to run at 3W ? or another 1W that maxes at 3W
Philips/Lumileds quotes 350mA to 1000mA drive current. So with a ~3V forward voltage, 1-3W rating.

are the lumens per watt (wizz bang) specs for it at 1W or 3?
Usually they quote the 1W/350mA lumen output. The Rebel 0100 puts out 100 lumens at 350mA and 180 lumens at 700mA, per the data sheet.

I don't know the answers to the rest of your questions.

The easiest method to solder SMT (if you aren't a soldering guru) is a toaster oven: http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/200006/oven_art.htm

Please, if you are using parts/solder containing LEAD, use an old/garage sale toaster oven that you won't be eating food out of.
duh2.gif

Alright... will SOMEONE please answer my question of run times vs. the Cree XR-E?
The XR-E Q5 is rated at 171.2~182.4 lumen at 700mA; the Rebel is rated at 180 lumens at 700mA. Given the same forward voltage (I'm not sure how real parts compare in this regard), the two LEDs are approximately the same brightness and dissipate the same amount of energy. Given these conditions, you'd have about the same runtime.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check this out for soldering http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/DS56.pdf page 9. You could use a toaster oven although may may need to do some figuring in order to take work around the relatively slow cool and heat process. You will need some type of solder mount that has the proper pads placed on it, an etched PCB is your best bet.

Whatever you do, do not say that the Rebel is more efficient that a Cree it will never be more efficient than a Cree, but the small packaging allows you higher watt density, which means more light. Hope this helps. Check out my sig, Our old newby has been trying to keep up with technology.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Ill have to see if they make some of this in Hawaii because we dont really get overnight from the mainland here. Fastest is pretty much 2 days.
Thanks though!

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
It is a smd component not meant for handsoldering (only if you feel handy)
You can also get them on a star or on a board REBEL on PCB

I was planning to do a group buy of them, and pick up a few but i saw how small they are. So im wondering, how are the 20+ people in the group buy, going to mount this thing. I guess i could pull out and look for the rebels on the boards...
But is there something these other people know that i dont?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Philips/Lumileds quotes 350mA to 1000mA drive current. So with a ~3V forward voltage, 1-3W rating.

Usually they quote the 1W/350mA lumen output. The Rebel 0100 puts out 100 lumens at 350mA and 180 lumens at 700mA, per the data sheet.

thanks Skavoovie

Skavoovie

Newly Enlightened
Whatever you do, do not say that the Rebel is more efficient that a Cree it will never be more efficient than a Cree
thinking.gif

Why can a Rebel "never be more efficient than a Cree"?

I was planning to do a group buy of them, and pick up a few but i saw how small they are. So im wondering, how are the 20+ people in the group buy, going to mount this thing. I guess i could pull out and look for the rebels on the boards...
But is there something these other people know that i dont?

There is also this star: http://www.led-tech.de/en/Luxeon-Hi...-Star-PCB-for-Luxeon-Rebel-LT-1103_49_85.html

It is considerably thinner than the old standard Luxeon star, though. So that combined with slightly different output geometry, optically it is not a "perfect" drop-in for Luxeon III lights.