what is your best "I´m glad I had a Flashlight" experience ?

Banshee

Enlightened
Re: what is your best \"I´m glad I had a Flashlight\" experience ?

I had a minor "glad to have it" situation this morning. The commuter rail car I was in suffered a temporary head end power failure which resulted in no heat-loss of locomotive power-and loss of lights.
Out came the ARC AAA LE, hooked it over my ear and continued to do the daily crossword without missing a beat.
A few passengers commented on my ingenuity (sic?)
but I chalk it all up to the folks here @ CPF !!
Score one for CPF!
MexicanWave.gif

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Holy crap, one old post. I was just "FC" back then, not "FC."
grin.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, nothing spectacular, but probably the best for reactions I've seen.

University today, lecture theatre, no windows or emergency lighting.

Lecturer goes to switch on the projector, and there's a loud "BANG" and the lights die - various people scream, swear and/or fall over, about 50 textbooks cascade to the floor within seconds.
After a few seconds, a couple of small keychain LED lights start appearing, mostly red or blue, not actually much use for seeing with when you're in an area with lots of obstacles and you're still half blind from the recent light. Out of the right jacket pocket comes the recntly bought Osram Dulux mini, small CCFT work light. Nice soft spread of light, handed the AAA MiniMag to a friend, and the other incan/flourescent combi to another, and between us, my lights managed to quite easily get everyone out of the lecture theatre - about 30 seconds before the lights decided to come back on...Oh well, at least I had an excuse to actually use them.

SableCo

Newly Enlightened

Wow some great stories!

Not as dramatic but was driving home from a marathon day of Skeet shooting at a range in the sticks. Exhausted and bored I was screwing around with the high beams on the truck holding them in (both the low and the highs came on at the same time when pulled to the "just before they click on/off spot") and was pondering the advantages of a four bulb system (hey it was dark and I was bored) I swear I only did it a couple times for a few seconds, then I got a hideous smell of electical fire. Seems there is one big friggen connector in the tilt section, high rub area of the steering wheel that runs about every light/bell/and buzzer on the truck. End result, one big blob of plastic and my trusty SF 6P to get me 13 miles in the blackest, no moon, no street light section of Illinois. I had forgotten the light was in there and the batteries made it 13 miles (no telling how old/frozen, etc).
Robert
www.sableco.net

Albany Tom

Enlightened

A couple of weeks ago I was in a club and a dancer's necklace broke. Imagine little plastic/glass pieces all over the floor. She had a little dim flashlight the bartender handed her, and it wasn't going well. It was one of the disposable Eveready's.

I just said "hey, Daisy, try this", and held out my UK2AAA. She looked at the little light, and me, like I was out of my mind, but took the light anyway. The next words I heard were "Holy sh*&! Thanks Tom!"

Not the best story in the world, but it was pretty funny.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

My most recent "I'm glad I had a flashlight" experience was in late December, when it was rainin' hard in northern California. Well, on one night (it so happens to be the night when I schedule myself to recharge all my NiMH batteries), a truck skidded out of control at the main intersection, about a block away from our apartment complex and completely smashed out the main transformer for that block. All lights went out for that entire evening and into next morning, as PG&E crews had to bring in new line wires for the pole and work on restoring the power.

Needless to say, I was VERY happy that night...
grin.gif

My Octolux and QuadLux was used the most around our apartment that night. And since it was PITCH BLACK outside and damp, if you had a nice flashlight, you can light up the entire block. My X990 was very happy to serve as a general room light, and the Trek6000 did a good job afterwards. Most of the students in the apartment complexes affected were out and about enjoying the darkness.

As it turns out, this event, and the uses of my flashlights, forced my suitemates into buying their own flashlights (instead of, ahem, "borrowing" mine...)
wink.gif

iddibhai

Enlightened

had a few flashlight moments... mind, i've only been ordained a flashaholic starting this past SUNDAY, so i've only had my McHappy for 2 days..

the night McHappy arrives we go over to cousin's place. sister starts getting sick, so McHappy is used to examine her throat (strep throat!). next night used for night kitchen raiding
smile.gif
next day used for a night walk back to parking lot in rain, and digging about for wallet in the car, and later on, for looking at pressure gauge while airing up side of car in shadow, in the rain. not bad for so much real use in such little time, no? heck nonserious use has been just as much fun, lighting up toilet bowls and such!

ab

Enlightened

McHappy as EDC... fantastic!

What started life as a tongue-in-cheek tribute to Don McGizmo's McTi, and billed as "your 4-yr. old's EDC?" becomes a real Flashaholic's workaday light... I love it!
smile.gif

iddibhai, the entire cadre of McHappy lights salute you:

mchappy-build.jpg

icon14.gif

A.

iddibhai

Enlightened

LOL, i even carry a spare AA just for the heck of it, and am using the McHappy every chance I get, comparing throw/spill to any other flashlight I run into (minimag, Sears, RayOvac, et al at work)... Gosh is is too much fun
smile.gif

Entropy

Enlightened

So far no major "glad to have it" situations, but after reading some of these examples, I'm glad I EDC my MiniMag + BadBoy on my belt. The three small examples:

At the end of a movie with the family, my mom's purse gets stuck. She asks for help getting it unstuck. Dad assumes I'm going to assist her in trying to grope around to find out where it's stuck. *click* - My BB is turned on and she can see the hangup instantly, quickly removes purse.

Last night I was installing a new TV tuner card in my computer. I was having trouble seeing the PCI slot. Grab my Nite-Ize Flashlight Friend off of the desk, stick my MM in, and the card is firmly seated in the slot 20 seconds later.
smile.gif
Later that night I had to go up in the attic, and one of the switches for the lights up there was acting up. No problem.
smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Nothing earthshaking, but a dark as night restroom posed no significant problem because I had an ARC AAA around my neck.

Hmm.... it's on my neck even as we speak!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only times here that I am glad I have a flashlight are when the power goes out, and that is rare. So with me, it is any excuse to use my lights.

When I wake up, at night, I use my Rebel on headboard to get dressed, then Arc LS to find my way to basement. I switch to Solo/LED until I am awake enough to stand the assault of bright mains lights.

My family always took the trash out during daylight hours. I wait till midnight (pickup at 0330).

I sit at my computer (in basement) with nothing but the monitor on, and a headlamp for seeing the keyboard. This is where the Matrix Module is quite useful.

When I cook at night, I wear a headlamp.

Like I said: Any excuse to use a light.
grin.gif

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

My wife is director of sales at a local hotel. One night, while a big banquet was going on, a storm knocked the power out. My wife headed to the hotel to see what was going on. The guests were all in the banquet room, walking around with glowsticks -- the big boss had ordered a couple cases for just such an emergency. The chef was running back and forth behind the buffet table with his Maglite 2AA. The Mag would only light up one dish at a time, so when he lit one dish up, the rest of the table was dark and guests really couldn't see what they were helping themselves to.

So my wife walks into the room, stands my Tigerlight FBOP on end in the middle of the buffet table, and then WOOOOMPH! she turns it on. She said there was an audible gasp from the assembled guests as the Tigerlight's beam bounced off the ceiling and brightly lit up the entire buffet table! As you all know, most people couldn't care less about flashlights, but that night, people were constantly asking her about the light.

She also left her Princeton Tec Rage with the front desk folks, and navigated the halls the rest of the night with her Photon II.

Joe

iddibhai

Enlightened

oh yea, taking the trash out... very useful since it's dark by the time i get back!

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

Am always glad I have the Scorpion in the briefcase everytime I have to go to a site at night to train a new guard or fill in due to some "emergency" until relief arrives. Always glad that light [got one with the clip on it] is on my side when working out in the field.

Was working a gatehouse at a beachfront condo/highrise a few years back on graveyard shift. While making my rounds, I saw 4 teens walking across the beach along side of the waist high metal fence that followed property's perimeter and separated the pool from the beach area. They saw me and started talking among themselves and stopped in their tracks staring at me. I ws smoking a cigarette at the time so I pull my 3D M*g lite out of the belt carrier holding it in the police style grip [head at base of palm], rested the body on my shoulder and proceeded to illuminate the ashtray out by the pool to extinguish my smoke. I straighten up turn towards them and stare back saying nothing. They turned about and headed on their way.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow! Just glad you're not hurt! I've been down 101 from SF to home in Carmel, and it's not pretty when it's bad weather...

It's times like these where a good, reliable flashlight can really mean the difference between confidence and dangerous situations...

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast

This might be my WORST "I'm glad I had a flashlight" story!
About 15 years ago, I received word my mother had died. She was in L.A. and I was living in San Leandro, (S.F. Bay Area), at the time. I had to get to L.A. to take care of the funeral and other things.

Like a fool, I decided to take Hwy. 101 down. Well, 101 was closed about 20 miles outside of Santa Maria, Ca. for the first time in 20 years due to a rare blizzard. Even though my truck was 2WD, I decided to try and find a trail over the mountains and dump back onto the 101 on the other, (south), side of Santa Maria beyond the closure.

I just HAD to get to L.A. and take care of the funeral arrangements. The CHP that was turning around traffic said things were pretty bad and 101 might be closed for a couple days. I didn't want to back track and lose tons of time getting over to Interstate 5, (I know, I know).

I actually did pretty good though and got about 10 miles down a cow trail that headed due south that I had found. Then I came to a long very, very steep hill and got a run at it but the truck slid and came to a rest on it's side in a ditch! Luckily I wasn't hurt and had my trusty 3 D cell Kel-Lite with me. It was so dark you couldn't see your hand in front of your face! It was also pouring rain and alternating from rain to snow at times.

I hiked about 8 or 9 miles with the Kel-Lite providing a nice swatch of bright light that cut through the rain and snow. I was miserable though and soon realized I was lost. Suddenly I heard voices somewhere ahead in the darkness and I yelled out to them. It was a couple of local teens from Santa Maria who had been out driving around, (and drinking), in the mountains for kicks! They told me to follow them and that their truck was only about a mile away and they would drive me the rest of the way into town.

I was hesitant because they were pretty wasted but what choice did I have? We walked the mile to their truck and they were so impressed by the Kel-Light. They took me into town and the nearest motel. I was so thankful for what these kids did that I gave them the Kel-Lite.

The next morning I found an adventurous 4WD tow truck driver in town and we went and retrieved my overturned truck, (which was another story all in itself!)
smile.gif
We got the truck out and I headed the rest of the way to L.A. I'll never forget that night and I'll never forget that trusty ol' Kel-Lite!

I now live in the Cascade Mountains near the Calif./Oregon border and power outages are a way of life up here. Flashlights are my best friends!

donn

Newly Enlightened

Used to work warehousing in a department store which was built sometime after the Great Flood. Anyway it was old and had a basement and two sub basements. Me and a few collegues are in the bottom basement when the fire alarm goes off quickly followed by all the lights going out. Theres nothing like real honest-to-God true pitch black darkness is there folks?
Anyway the only light down there was my solitaire and thats what I used to get everyone to the emergency escape hatch (a big ladder ran up to ground level) and out the building.
Turned out some builder doing restoration had cut through half the cables leading into the buildng; no fire but I it was fun.

Acid87

Enlightened
what is your best \"I´m glad I had a Flashlight\" experience ?

I had an experience driving home via country roads late one night. Coming around a fairly blind corner I was met by a small bunch of highland cows and sh@t my pants (not the silly American version I mean my underpants.) I had on me my little preon 1 and used it to warn other motorists of the escaped posse and also helped the farmer find the section of fence that let the group out. Good night to be a flashaholic.
Steven

OfficerSheepDog

Newly Enlightened
Re: what is your best "I´m glad I had a Flashlight" experience ?

I never thought I would be the type to EDC a flashlight, but being a flashaholic I purchased a Preon 1, Kept it in my pocket with a 10440.

First night out with it (After deciding I would try EDC'ing a flashlight) A guy outside Mucho Burrito Is looking underneath his car. I asked him if he had a problem he says he dropped his black berry, We looked and could'nt see S$#@. Duh I have a light! Boom Found it baby!.

Very proud of my self for EDC'ing a light I am driving home with a warm burrito that I am about to devour. PFFT! My rear passenger tire blows. Its night... and im in the only place with no f%$%$# street lamps. While a street lamp was preferred the preon did well.

Twice in one night? Awesome.... I EDC to this day which was roughly a year ago. now with a SC60w on me at all times. I have never really needed a light but I find in movie theaters and what not somebody always drops keys or looses something.

EDIT: Either I had a hit on the head, or something is wacky with CPF, I did not post this here but in a different topic, then clicked on history back to this topic and found my comment here ?!??!?!

Last edited: