What is your prefered start up brightness?

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
Just out of curiosity, what does everyone here prefer their multiple output lights to start up with, a bright setting 1st or a low setting 1st. Just wondering.

90% of the time I have my Quark start up in the lowest mode.

AlexLED

Enlightened
LOOOW !

If the light starts in mid or high you will a) loose nightsight and b) attract more attention then necessary.

pwatcher

Enlightened
for indoors, low, and for outdoors depends on need. brighter the better for bumps in the night, unless I want to remain stealthy for some reason.

It01Firefox

Newly Enlightened
It should be low first, then high by the way of a two stage twisty like on the A2 or LX2 so there's instant access to high if neccessary.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
What ever setting I want it at...thank heavens for U2's!!! :poke:

if not for U2,s, I prefer to start off low like the L1's/L2's.

cheetokhan

Enlightened
for indoors, low, and for outdoors depends on need. brighter the better for bumps in the night, unless I want to remain stealthy for some reason.

+1
My dog walking lights all start on high, but my bedside lights all start on low. Although I do keep a direct drive P7 next to the bed for bump-in-the-night use.

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Actually, as others have noted, it depends upon the application. For indoors and when I am camping with others in close quarters I want the lowest of low to both preserve my night vision and minimally disturb those around me. For utility use around the house it should start in medium. If I need to, say, immediately light up the side of the tool shed to catch some errant "youth" up to no good, then the brightest of bright works.

I don't like "last mode" lights as I have to remember what the last mode was in order to predict how bright it will be.

Right now my ideal single light is the Jetbeam RRT-0 as I can adjust the "turn on" brightness without illuminating the light.

vesapu

Newly Enlightened
What ever setting I want it at...
Yep, that's why I'm so fond of my new Zebralight! Click for high, press and hold for low :)

But, generally I prefer lights that start from low and have shorcuts to high output, without need to click throug the modes in between.

curtispdx

Enlightened
At home, low first. (And I prefer a twisty to a clicky.)

At work, high first. (And I prefer a clicky to a twisty.)

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer instant access to either (SF A2/L1/LX2 switch). :)

Otherwise, I prefer high, then low (SF E1B). As I see it, an emergency would probably need the high beam, but most low beam needs would probably not be an emergency. To preserve my night adapted vision, I will hold the light against my pants, block the light, and switch to low.

-Robert

SuReFiReRs

Newly Enlightened
I prefer the High first, then low like the E2DL...like was mentioned, if you have an emergency then you need the high right away. Just my $0.02