What knife/knives do you EDC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElBee

Newly Enlightened
I have a Doug Ritter Mini Grip with green canvas micarta scales that sees a ton of pocket time. When I want something a little bigger, I have a Benchmade 940-1. Its really easy to carry for a larger knife. When I want to go smaller, I have a Spyderco Dragonfly II in ZDP-189. That little blade is seriously sharp, and that knife has great ergonomics. It "feels" like a bigger blade. It's relegated my "gentleman's knives" to the dresser or sent them packing altogether. I've got a Delica 4 in VG-10 that I carry when I just to keep it simple. I have others, but those are in my regular rotation. Thought about going with ZT, but I'm planning to save up and get a Sebenza 21.

LedTed

Enlightened
For several months now, my work EDC knife is a Benchmade Mini-Stryker, Manual, Axis, Tonto Straight Edge.

The tonto point helps when removing old PM / Cal stickers.

The style is (IMHO) what the Griptillian should have been.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The restrictions try to keep knives out of the hands of kids, and to a degree it works. It also attempts to curtail knife possession in public as means of a weapon. When I was a teenager the easiest weapon to carry was one of those plastic handled box cutters with the extendable blades, they were cheap and every convenience store you went to sold them. Had a little more money then you could get a cheap butterfly/gravity knife, just as plentiful. In fact some stores had their front window covered with them and all other sorts of 'paraphernalia' geared for the urban teenager. No restrictions or penalties were enforced on these stores that sold to all regardless of age. The results of such needless to say mandated that some restrictions/enforcement commence to address the issues that resulted from the abundance and ease of access. Unfortunately the restrictions affect those with no ill intent equally but to say they only restrict the law abiding citizen alone wouldn't be accurate.

I'm sorry for going off topic, but this is garbage. Assault and murder are already illegal, so anyone who uses a knife in the commission is already violating a well established law. Due to this law in NY, an outlaw will carry a knife, a law abiding citizen will not. Ergo, the knife laws of New York only truly affect law abiding citizens. It's a version of "pre crime" policing and it scares me to death: NY is essentially charging people for what they MIGHT do while carrying knives. This merely assumes the possessor will commit an illegal act simply due to the availability of a weapon. What's next, outlawing multi tools? Baseball bats? Shovels? Steak knives in restaurants?

My EDC is my kershaw blur
744227c944f1455886f24b6f7151e6e0.jpg

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Let''s stay away from OT comments re legal/illegal uses of knives re different parts of the US. This would be a good topic for the Cafe or Underground, probably the Underground.

Bill

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
clad72,
Your entitled to your own opinion, that's fine.

Last edited:

desmobob

Enlightened
For many years I EDC'd various Benchmade knives, from the mini-AFCK to the 710 D2. But once I tried my first Emerson knife equipped with the Wave Feature, I was hooked! ;-)

I still EDC a Benchmade Mini-Barrage at work, but at home, it's an Emerson Horseman (modded to a V-bevel), CQC-7V, Commander, or Roadhouse. They're quicker than an automatic!

Take it easy,
Bob

qiqi

Newly Enlightened
My edc is Surefire CQC8.I got it 2 years ago,really like the Waveless style.:cool:

killbasa2000

Newly Enlightened
None, in Ireland it is not allowed, perhaps for good reason :D. Talking about a good reason, you have to have one explaining to the judge why you were carrying a knife.:thinking:

BillSWPA

Enlightened
None, in Ireland it is not allowed, perhaps for good reason :D. Talking about a good reason, you have to have one explaining to the judge why you were carrying a knife.:thinking:

That is easy.

How would you get yourself or someone else out of a car after an accident if the seat belt latch was not accessible?

I have had to cut the harness on my son's car seat to get him out when a defective seat belt latch got stuck. If I was not carrying the knife, that could have meant leaving him unattended while I went to get one.

My understanding is that every year in the US., there are 10,000 to 15,000 serious injuries every year from clothing getting stuck in escalators. In one case in Philadelphia several years ago, a child lost a foot. The escalators in the upper floors of Macy's in New York City are quite old, and would be used by parents taking their kids to see Santa. Besides, kids love escalators. I would almost consider it negligent for a parent not to carry a knife.

The whole idea that a knife is carried primarily as a weapon is difficult to understand. I carry at least one firearm for when I need a weapon. The knife is either secondary or tertiary for that purpose, but is pulled out daily for much more mundane tasks.

Runt

Newly Enlightened
Ontario Knife Company RAT Folder. One of the best edc knives I have found for the money. Decent steel, solid lockup for 30ish USD. And so buttery smooth there is no need for assisted opening.

Only down side are the nylon body scales. I have never really had an issue with them even when wet- but feel more aggressive texturing would be good. They do have a more expensive version with g10 scales and assisted opening.

Obviously you can't go wrong with anything from benchmade and spyderco- I have more than a few, but for something that's gonna take a beating throughout the day and not bring you to tears if you mar your blade, you can't do better than the RAT.

This may open a big can of stink but I would avoid most of what gerber puts out these days. They still hit a homerun on the rare occasion but the brand is nothing close to what it used to be. Quality and design have gone right out the window. I would put kershaw in the same basket too (crkt may be taking slippery steps down this slope too but only time will tell)

Last edited:

Runt

Newly Enlightened
That is easy.

How would you get yourself or someone else out of a car after an accident if the seat belt latch was not accessible?

I have had to cut the harness on my son's car seat to get him out when a defective seat belt latch got stuck. If I was not carrying the knife, that could have meant leaving him unattended while I went to get one.

My understanding is that every year in the US., there are 10,000 to 15,000 serious injuries every year from clothing getting stuck in escalators. In one case in Philadelphia several years ago, a child lost a foot. The escalators in the upper floors of Macy's in New York City are quite old, and would be used by parents taking their kids to see Santa. Besides, kids love escalators. I would almost consider it negligent for a parent not to carry a knife.

The whole idea that a knife is carried primarily as a weapon is difficult to understand. I carry at least one firearm for when I need a weapon. The knife is either secondary or tertiary for that purpose, but is pulled out daily for much more mundane tasks.

Can't agree more here. Dare I say it... the knife in my pocket gets far more use than my flashlight. Of course I would never part with either.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't agree more here. Dare I say it... the knife in my pocket gets far more use than my flashlight. Of course I would never part with either.

I carried a knife for 20+ years for work and honestly it was not used very often, but nonetheless an essential part of my gear which I needed on my person at all times. Now some of my co workers got a lot more use out of their knives but often they seemed to look to use the knife more often that not, even when not necessary (in my opinion). Just my experience but I can see where someone else with different needs could have the opposite experience. I think I've gotten more use out my SAK cutting up limes and popping open Coronas on vacation.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree, however teenagers do, hence my post above.

If you ever pass an escalator thats being worked on look at all the clothing and various items that collect underneath it, here when the weather gets bad businessmen put rubber booties over their shoes. Those things are lose/grabby and the escalator catches them pretty easy and pulls them right off the foot. It's quite a sight to see. Not the mention the owner usually jumps out of their skin.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have a knife built into my 5 dollar carabiner belt clip that holds my keys. It cuts things so it should count imo. Not much of a weapon though. LOL

Terrier1

Newly Enlightened
I recently picked up an awesome Great Eastern Cutlery #99 with Gree Micarta Handles. Been in my pocket ever since. The thing disappears in my pocket, takes a nice edge quickly, and has already developed a beautiful patina. Only complaint is that the Micarta is quite smooth, and the knife is tough to grip with wet or sweaty hands. Overall, I'm extremely impressed with GEC. Hope to pick up another soon!

Runt

Newly Enlightened
Which model? RAT 1 , RAT 2 ?

I have only carried the RAT 1 and it's plenty of knife - maybe more than enough for a lot of people's edc, but I find it sits in my pocket nicely.

While I have not held it, the smaller proportions of the RAT 2 may gel better with people's idea for an edc knife. I can't see there being any difference in build quality or overall feel between the two though. Just sized slightly different.

Status
Not open for further replies.