What unorthodox uses do you have for your light?

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
This involves vision, but not for the purpose of illumination - working on a fence after dark, I set one of my lights on the second to last fence post so I could line up it with the shadow of the last fence post, in order to help me get my next fence post in line.

I have also on occasion used my higher power lights to "x-ray" plastic items, such as to get an idea how they're held together

Good ones.
I've done both of those with various light sources in the past, posts with work lights, and most commonly I'll "X ray" bic lighters to see how the fuel levels are, for accuracy beyond shaking and listening.

Laying a light on the floor, shining sideways is a favorite for finding tiny objects by their shadows, good for follow up with cleaning up broken glass too, or along a wall if you want to see all the flaws in your drywall and painting.

Last edited:

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
I was thinking today that mostly our lights are used for lighting but what have you used your flashlight for that's not just allowing you to see?

Checking the brake lights on the car single -handed. I needed to push the pedal. Moved the driver seat all the way up and jammed the 2C Maglight between front of seat and brake pedal. Success!

Bill

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Noticing that red led light passes through skin, and through the knuckles of my hand, and that my neutral Led lights pass red light through, I've taken to turning my Zebralight H600w on high and going over sore knuckles and elbows. It seems to help with recovery, well enough that I don't care if it's placebo or not, when they're sore I'll run the light over the trouble spots and they seem to recover faster. I had some pain that had been slowly getting a little better over weeks, ran the light till it was hot a few days in a row and then forgot to repeat, elbow quit bothering me.
YMMV.
I need a light that is bright enough to pass through my skull, so I can treat the trouble spots in my brain.

dragonhaertt

Newly Enlightened
I use my D25LC2 all the time as a bottle opener. Nice sharp edge on the tailcap allows for easy opening and as I EDC this light in my pocket it is always a quick grab.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, apparently assisting piscivorous birds.

I was out with my son around 10:30 the other night, in the dark and the rain, by a coulple of local ponds looking for salamanders. (Didn't find a single one; probably still a bit too chilly for the little critters.) Anyway, I had my light (ZL SC5w) shining out acroos the narrow stream that runs between the south pond and north pond right where it enters the former and over the very end of that pond. The banks on both sides were thick with underbrush and small trees. I was there for about 10 seconds when I heard a load birdcall, and out darts a kingfisher from a small tree across the stream, flies right through the area I'm illuminating, and snags a fish from just below the surface of the pond. I don't think kingfishers hunt in the dark, so I am surmising that I woke him up and that he was quite pleased to find several tasty fish up at the surface, wondering what my light was all about.

Kind of a case of curiosity killed the carp. Though in this case, it was likely a dace.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha that's awesome and probably would have been really cool to see, BigBluefish!

Illum

Flashaholic
Carrying heavy bags from supermarket - use my E2d defender like carrying handle for hands comfort

haha, I knew I wasn't the only one. pouches especially, or holsters, are ideal for light carrying work too.

Unorthodox.... for the time being would be to carry my EDC in a manner that diverts attention away from my conceal carry... such that my pants sag [however minor] evenly. The only part unorthodox about it is the fact that light is nonfunctional, I'm EDCing a huge host and my actual EDC is very small.

I remember one time I used the Knurling of an E2D to sand calluses off of my hands and feet.

Last edited:

ncgrass

Enlightened
I regularly use the pocket clip of my microstream to pick rocks out of from the tread in my shoes. Doesn't really help with traction, but sometimes I can feel them when I walk...

DMS1970

Enlightened
I have used my ZL SC63 and MKII/III as a hand warmer when deer hunting in cold weather. I just turn it on high in my pocket and hold on tight to it, in a hoody, both hands can go around it.. Works better than the battery bank/electronic hand warmer I have for the same purpose.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know if this qualifies, but I come home late & tell my family over & over again, lock up the house if you're not going out. Pull the curtains when the sun goes down so people outside don't see what we own. Everyday I come home curtains wide open, little ones running around after their baths, naked. So I stood on the porch one night after bringing the groceries up to the back deck. Curtains wide open, no porch light on. I called on the phone to have the kids come help me with the groceries and as they got to the door, I turned the flashlight on under my chin and scared the poop out of them.

That wasn't the funniest part. they told my wife someone was on the porch. She said it's only daddy. As she got to the door I flicked the light on under my chin again, and she screamed, and ran over my football playing teenager standing behind her. As she was cursing me out she locked the door and pulled the curtains, leaving me & the groceries out on the deck. At least I finally got them to listen. I look remarkably like Bella Lugosi in that light.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ So home security instruction then, eh? That's one I hadn't thought of.

The only Bela Lugosi movie I've seen is Plan 9 from Outer Space. It sounds like that was the unfortunate end of a series of misfortunes for him. Maybe I need to watch the old Dracula at some point so I have a more fair impression of him.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I like to use the Strobe mode of my Quarks as mood lighting on Halloween, best use of the strobe mode I've found so far.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife has Peripheral arterial disease that causes her hands to turn paper white and painful. When we get caught in the cold watching our son play soccer I turn my Wizard Pro XHP50 on one of the 2 turbo modes and let her hold it to help keep warm.

geokite

Newly Enlightened
Water splash on the front of my pants after washing my hands in a public restroom; Heat from my edc on high drys them off.

Steve

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Sometimes if I feel a sneeze is just around the corner but is shy, I'll use the light "almost" directly in the eyes and that usually helps the sneeze happen.