What was your first loved flashlight?

defuse kit

Newly Enlightened
I've always liked lights, but because it meant having a light. No love for the flashlight in and of itself. The first flashlight I really loved was my first Surefire E2D. Showed me how amazing a good light can be.

zulumoose

Newly Enlightened
First flashlight I loved was a red Eveready 2xAA side by side light, no lens, no reflector, just a U-shaped white plastic piece to hold the bulb, you slid the whole side off to change the batteries. Must have been about 1975 when I got it, and I used to read under the covers until it was so dim I could not even see a whole word at a time.

I have checked the flashlight museum, cannot find a reference to it.

Another one I loved at that time, which I was not allowed to use, was also a plastic Eveready light, which took a 6V lantern battery underneath that screwed on to two pillars. I inherited that and still have it. You cannot get those batteries and my daughter dropped it and broke the reflector but I now run it with a 600 Lumen 12V downlighter mounted against the glass, and a 12V 7Ah battery strapped onto a slightly shaved body with Velcro. It was a powerful spotlight in its day, now it is a rechargeable floodlight.

EseriesModder

Newly Enlightened
An inova X5 that I bought for $20 with money I earned at my first after school job. It was indestructible. I carried it in my pocket everyday until my lifestyle required something brighter, but even then it came along with me in my backpack as a vampire, because 123s were too expensive to waste.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the beamshot of my first loved flashlight that was the reason to buy it:

TN32_Minnekhada.jpg

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first good light was pelican 7060, just a year ago.. i discover this forum, and buy more lights... i now have 40 something light....

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Four Sevens MMU-X3.

Before that, for me, was junk that would not turn on due to malfunctioning switch, internal corrosion, etc.

The MMU-X3 was my first nice quality, nice performance flashlight. I discovered it when I searched Sears online for a powerful flashlight.

This is an ultra classic item, of course. Size/power/throw classification, emitter configuration, beam profile/beam performance to size ratio: these items are an enduring milestone as offered in the MMU-X3.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I liked the Inova X5, the Princeton Tec Quad headlight, the Gerber Infinity Ultra, but the first one I loved was the Fenix P3D Q5. For the first time, 100 lumens/watt had been achieved and brightness was quadruple that of one watt Luxeon l.e.d.s. For the first time, you could have a high power l.e.d. light with long runtimes and high brightness. This light went from 5 to 200 lumens and ran at over 40 lumens for 16 hours straight and only weighed 3 ounces. A 2 D maglight would run at under 20 lumens for less than 10 hours and required bulky D batteries. This was the first light I took a week backpacking without ever changing the batteries, and I used it on low for a nightlight all night, every night. Once you have a light that is bright enough to comfortably hike all night long without swapping batteries, anything past that is usually just an unnecessary bonus.

harro

Enlightened
A TK11Q5 Fenix. Its now a bit battered and bruised but still going strong. I remember being absolutely blown away by those mighty 185 lumens on high, and how a small twist of the head would engage low. And the runtime on my first ever 18650 cell ( a decent Ultrafire before they turned to crap ) was amazing, i think in the region of about six hours, on high. These days, we buy a 5,000 lumen light with programable modes and flashy modes and oled displays and usb charging and multi colour outputs, and think, ' thats nice '.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Loved? Like my wife or chocolate? There aint one.

But the one that caused me to say "holy-cow this is the one for me" for the first time was the PK FL2 LE. It's still my benchmark today.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire E2D Incan. Still sees regular use. Only now it has a Tana Tripled.

Most loved now. BB MCGIZMO MULE 119 WITH tritium

Rstype

Flashlight Enthusiast
very first truly loved flashlight that got me into the more powerful stuff and my love for flashlight is a surefire 6p. Had a maglight 2x aa that was good until i ented a pitch black basement to look for a plumbing problem, and i gotta say i was really yearning for something much more powerful. looked up durable , military grade flashlight and surefire was the first link with a review about a surefire 6p. i got it and was immediately impressed compared to the maglight. The addiction began there.....

Loved? Like my wife or chocolate? There aint one. But the one that caused me to say "holy-cow this is the one for me" for the first time was ......

Many years ago The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner and I purchased a preowned Cadillac. It was the nicest car we'd ever owned. A retired pastor that worked with me asked, "How do you like the Cadillac?" I answered, "Robert, I love that Cadillac." He seemed a little disappointed and gently retorted, "I thought we were supposed to love people and use things." Me being a quick tongued smart-*** replied, "Robert, I love using that Cadillac. :devil: "

With that being stated, here's the first flashlight I ever loved using.

~ Chance

Surefire G2 with a metal head, Darksucks heat treated Ti. clip and a SS bezel ring. It has been home to many different drop-ins.
zaNtkYW.jpg

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 1xAA heavy duty plastic version of the top of the line minimag that was available, it had a similar beam type as the minimag and had spot to spill. If I could find the same one I would get it now as a nostalgic piece.

Latest posts