What was your first loved flashlight?

nimdabew

Enlightened
Maglite AA incandescent. I remember my niteeyes LED upgrade and it blew my mind. I carried that thing around with me everywhere in the Maglite nylon carry pouch as a kid. Pro tip: a hair tie wrapped around the carry pouch two or three times kept enough tension on it so the light didn't fall out! That was my primary light until I bought a Surefire E2D LED and I still carry that 120 lumen light around.

flat-ray

Enlightened
Surefire M2 centurion incan. My flashaolism begin there. Today it is in my surefire collection.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
As a kid...any that I could get my hands on. I loved them all.
As a young adult...The Maglite
Nowadays...Thrunite TN4A

terjee

Enlightened
Incan Maglite.

I loved how rugged and robust it felt. It also taught me about how vulnerable incan bulbs can be, how annoying it is to have to carry dead weight an entire trip, and the importance of backups and spares. :p

ChibiM

Enlightened
A 1watt led flashlight i bought while visiting a friend in the US. Before that, I only had some incans, but the led flashlight really opened my eyes so to say. I can't remember the name anymore.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incan Maglite.

I loved how rugged and robust it felt. It also taught me about how vulnerable incan bulbs can be, how annoying it is to have to carry dead weight an entire trip, and the importance of backups and spares. :p

I practiced changing the bulb from the spare in the tailcap in the dark. I always had a spare and batteries hanging around.

terjee

Enlightened
I practiced changing the bulb from the spare in the tailcap in the dark. I always had a spare and batteries hanging around.

As did I. Trouble where these bulbs, is that it turns out the spare could break before the one in use. Not sure if it was manufacturing defect or just rough handling, but mechanical stress seems to be as much a source of failure as them simply being spent. I remember 35mm film canister with padding was a good solution to carrying a spare outside of the light.

Flyhalf

Newly Enlightened
Here's a quiz for you all. Back in the late 1960s I had a palm-sized, single bulb incandescent that was shaped kind of like a squished oval in cross-section and had a battery pack that I remember unplugging from the head and plugging into a 120v AC outlet to recharge. Does anyone remember a light like that?

Eveready Captain?

Last edited:

Flyhalf

Newly Enlightened
Well the year was 1969.. I a 20 year old wounded Marine... was on a medical evac flight from danang,south vietnam(at the time) the plane was dark and I asked one of the nurses for a flashlight to read a letter from home..I must be getting older because I remember far more about the flashlight than the nurse....it was a sanyo rec argeable light that was very popular with pilots&stues for many years,,,white with over&under white&red lenses,the chargeing plug folded out of the rear of the light and was very compact.I owned 4 or 5 for years afterward. It was called the sanyo cadnica.

Dear Oceanbeamer,
The Sanyo Cadnica Lite is what brought me to this forum because of my Dad. If you were you flown out MEDEVAC from Da Nang in 69 on a 141, my Dad might have been the navigator. I still know some of the nurses Dad flew with and he puts them somewhere between Saints and Angels. FYI - I'm married to a nurse.

Respectfully,
Flyhalf

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
A 2 million candlepower spotlight using a 6V lantern battery. I couldn't believe I could light things up half a block away. Now I have a BLF GT.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Mine was one of them old red waterproof lights I think made by energizer. 2D. I remember being really sick when I was like 10 and ask my dad to get it for me.we didn't have much money but he got it for me. Used it for about a week while I was stuck in bed sick. No clue whatever became of it. This was back in 75 or so.guess I have always been into flashlights.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I was hot stuff walking around my yard with one of these hunting night crawlers. ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1552247911.976750.jpg