What's your car EDC?

fly11

Newly Enlightened
My very first Maglite I bought years ago. It is way to heavy for my liking, but makes a great car light and tire thumper.​

EPVQ30

Newly Enlightened
i got a rominsen rcc3 (1) cr123 in my center console, it has a pocket clip so it works great on the visor idea.. very bright and long lasting.

Poppy

Flashaholic
"Two is one, one is none".
This thread has been an interesting read.

I used to keep basically one or maybe two crap lights in the car, I mean, it hardly ever gets used so I didn't want to "waste" my good lights there....until I had to repair a radiator hose in the Catskill mountains in pitch black during a freezing rain.

Now each of my vehicles has an Energizer ELMCL21L (for general kick around and long duration use), an older Surefire G2 Nitrolon, and a Princeton Tec EOS headlamp. All of which are loaded up with Lithium batteries because my area does get cold in the winter. I also have a battery carrier holding a spare set of AA Lithium, CR123, and AAA lithium batteries.

Additionally I keep 5 road flares, a DOT approved safety vest and gloves, and a traffic wand that fits on the Nitrolon. If all of that seems like a lot you should keep in mind that my area is mountainous, curvy, and often foggy and you need to lay warning signals a significant distance away or someone WILL fly around a curve and nail ya.

Recently I put a couple of LED "Flares" in my Jeep as well, they aren't nearly as nice as the ones mhpreston posted about and I really haven't put them to any kind of test yet.

I've read a couple of your "real world reviews" Thanks!

I posted this on the first page of this thread
According to this US Federal study, lights that are raised above the ground are significantly better than those that are at ground level.
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/224277.pdf

They compared a number of LED safety lights to each other and to chemical road flares.

If you ever do a "real world review" of led road flares, I'd strongly suggest that you read that government study, as a prep piece. I suspect that considering how you are already prepared, you would find it an interesting read.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Currently an Eagletac P20A2 with XP-G2, which is more intended for looking outside the car at other things. Very throwy for an AA light, and great runtime.
I have a red filter and ping pong ball diffuser (literally) with it in case I need to setup a warning light, but have never actually used it.

These days I also usually carry my Spark SG3 NW (mule), which is a great allrounder but especially suited for lighting at/under/around small things.

Titanium Eagletac D25A clicky XP-G2 is always in my pocket, so doesn't really count as a car EDC, much like the 1xAAA Tank007 on my keychain.

None-enlighted people never understand why I need to have 4 lights near me at all times :/

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
That paper sold me poppy, but I'm still looking. There's a gap in the market for some clever company to fill, I think!

I found this traffic cone mount, but that means buying and storing a set in the boot...

http://www.knightkit.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=144&products_id=3114

It also requires carrying traffic cones.
Personally I do carry three, but I have a huge trunk in my car.
I also made a few PVC holders that mount on top of the cones. The holders will hold one of those 2D cell led traffic wands in a vertical position.

I used 2 inch inside diameter PCV pipe 5 inches long. On one end I put a coupling (it's inside diameter is a little larger @ 2 3/8ths inch.) On the other end I put another coupling, but this one had a rubber bushing. I used a rasp to taper the inside wall of the pipe on the end that will go over the cone.

The more open end goes over the cone, and the bushing side holds the light. I'm on the community emergency response team, or I wouldn't carry cones.

You might consider that regular chemical road flares have two stiff wires that are bent at the time of use, to create legs for them. They'll kinda tailstand.

Perhaps some stiff wire can be bent into a tripod/light holder. It would be much more compact than traffic cones. :)

mhpreston

Enlightened
Hello everyone,
Long time lurker here, this nice thread made me register and share my experience:

3 weeks ago I was driving back home from vacation with the family and around 3am we got into an ugly accident with a Deer, yes a Deer.

Welcome Wildlight and your story is exactly why I am trying to find a decent hazard lighting system to EDC in the boot. We have deer here too, but I suspect smaller than yours! They leap when fleeing, which means if you are unlucky they hit the windscreen... Hope all was OK with you and your family!

Deathlok

Newly Enlightened
A bunch of great flashlights in here... I'm a newb on these things but what about a larger "defender" flashlight that could be used for protection (thumper) and provides a ton of bright light for a decent amount of time? Anyone have a recommendation? I'm not looking to put it in the console but under the seat to replace my 4D Maglite. I'd prefer to stay under $50, if possible... any info is appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
I may well do traffic cones Poppy - but on the same site I think I finally found the gold standard solution. Not a cheap option though. Perhaps two of these with the optional bases
<snipped wrong link>

I'd like to know what is it about their light that they can make this statement?
"Additionaly, there are no problems such as the night vision, point fixation and distance judgement problems associated with strobe and incandescent lights."

I don't recall exactly where I read it, OR if it was something told to me by an EMS worker, but flashing warning lights, if they aren't linked together, and blink independantly and randomly, may direct oncoming traffic in the WRONG direction. I have seen some higher end (meaning more expensive) units that are hard wired together so that they either blink all at the same time, or in a directional pattern (such as we want you to go <<< that way!, or perhaps in Europe >>> that way! :) )

Therefore If I used multiple lights, my first one may be blinking, and the others, solidly on.

Regarding putting lights ON the GROUND, there's a decent chance that they'll get run over. If they are however elevated and placed on top of a cone, IMO they are less likely to get run over.

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using that new $10, 300 lumen Utilitech 4xAAA light from Lowe's as my glovebox light. Admittedly, it's not the most glamorous thing in the world. But it's decently bright. And, unlike some of my nicer lights, it's not a big deal if it gets a little beat up.

A bunch of great flashlights in here... I'm a newb on these things but what about a larger "defender" flashlight that could be used for protection (thumper) and provides a ton of bright light for a decent amount of time? Anyone have a recommendation? I'm not looking to put it in the console but under the seat to replace my 4D Maglite. I'd prefer to stay under $50, if possible... any info is appreciated! Thanks!

A good option here is the 3D Armormax from Home Depot. It's bigger and heavier than a 3D Mag. And it has an XM-L that produces around 600 lumens. Best of all, it only costs $30.

Alternately, if you want to keep your Mag, you can get a Malkoff XM-L2 drop-in for it. This drop-in produces a healthy 700 lumens. But it does cost $70, which might be more than you want to pay. They also make an XP-G2 drop-in for $40. This drop-in only produces 300 lumens. But even 300 lumens will seem like the sun compared to the 60-70 lumens you're getting from your incandescent Mag. In any case, either of these are good choices if you are sentimental about your 4D Mag.

Last edited:

Lucky Jim

Newly Enlightened
Maglite 2D with xcape cap glass breaker tailcap, Terralux LED drop-in and Borofloat glass lens. Sits in the door pocket ready for action. Great bit of kit.

RoBeacon

Enlightened
Depending on the day Preon p2, Jetbeam RRT01, Quark mini neutral, or quark turbo. I carry the Preon the most as it gets in the way the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff Wildcat with MD3 body, and a pair of AW18500 li-ion batteries. Car charger for the batteries, and a multi-meter in the storage compartment.