What's your car EDC?

Poppy

Flashaholic
Back on topic - Led Lenser P17 for me.

Aussie,
Please read the original post, and you'll find that most of this thread has been off topic, including your post.

The real topic of the thread is about LED roadside flares. It has been miss-titled from the outset, and most posters simply responded to the title, or the previous off topic post.

That's quite an assumption. The design team had no intention of any customers using the product on the back of a vehicle, only the ground. The marketing team comes along and says, "hey, if we add a magnetic feature, that would give us another selling point."

You guys must have much more insight to the original design intention of the product than I do.

@NutSAK,
I don't know WHY you are arguing the point.

A quick search came up with this info from the Grainger site:

LED Road Flare Kit, LED Color Red, Shell Color Red, Number of LEDs 1, Flashes per Minute 120, Power Source AA Battery (not included), Lens Material Polycarbonate, Shell Material Polycarbonate, Diameter 3-3/4 In., Length 3-3/4 In., Height 6 In., Operating Life 20 hr. Steady, 60 hr. Flash, Special Features Magnetic Base, No Tool Required for Battery Change, 360 Degrees Visibility, Crush Resistant - Can Withstand Being Run Over By A 20,000 lb. Vehicle, Weather Resistant, Can Be Used In Rain or Snow

Certainly they didn't test it by placing it on the trunk of a car, and running the trunk over with a truck!

Last edited:

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Confusion is often key to getting attention.

Eitherway, my next car EDC light will be the ArmyTek Predator Pro, and (if it fits) a Nitecore NWT40 traffic cone. If it doesn't fit, some gaffers tape might help out ^^

It was a long battle between the Predator and Nitecore P25, I might eventually end up getting both, but for now the Predator won it with more throw, much better looks and a better shape to hold. Just a great looking light that I'll happily "borrow" from my car all the time to take on night photography trips.

kj2

Flashaholic
Confusion is often key to getting attention.

Eitherway, my next car EDC light will be the ArmyTek Predator Pro, and (if it fits) a Nitecore NWT40 traffic cone. If it doesn't fit, some gaffers tape might help out ^^
Woow.. Wait a minute. Think I can help you out here. I've the Predator Pro and the Nitecore Traffic cone. Will check if it fits :)

edit; it fits, but won't stay on. It sticks a bit right under the bezel. So maybe some tape will help :)

Last edited:

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Woow.. Wait a minute. Think I can help you out here. I've the Predator Pro and the Nitecore Traffic cone. Will check if it fits :)

edit; it fits, but won't stay on. It sticks a bit right under the bezel. So maybe some tape will help :)

Thanks! I think the Predator's bezel is like 0.5mm slimmer than the Nitecore's 40mm bezels, so I was worried it'd be loose. On the bright side: fitting but falling off is much easier to fix than not fitting at all, although a perfect fit would be preferable.
Any chance you also have an Olight diffuser to see if that fits? If I'm not mistaken those are also 40mm bezel.

kj2

Flashaholic
Thanks! I think the Predator's bezel is like 0.5mm slimmer than the Nitecore's 40mm bezels, so I was worried it'd be loose. On the bright side: fitting but falling off is much easier to fix than not fitting at all, although a perfect fit would be preferable.
Any chance you also have an Olight diffuser to see if that fits? If I'm not mistaken those are also 40mm bezel.

Got a Olight traffic wand ;)
Ordered the Olight diffuser wand yesterday.

edit; The Olight Traffic wand doesn't fit at all. The strike-bezel hits the first narrowing-part inside the wand.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
@NutSAK,
I don't know WHY you are arguing the point.

A quick search came up with this info from the Grainger site:

Certainly they didn't test it by placing it on the trunk of a car, and running the trunk over with a truck!

Certainly they didn't test the magnetic base by placing it on the ground!

Keep in mind that I never stated that it was designed for a specific purpose--on the ground, or on the back of a car. It appears to me that they designed it to be used on the ground and on ferrous metal surfaces. That is my point.

Boldface added for emphasis:
Those flareAlert pucks are designed to lie on the ground. And according to the linked study above, a slight rise in the road may make similar lights invisible. It is good to get them elevated a bit, 8 inches makes a significant difference. Funny how one often sees pictures of them or others attached magnetically to the trunk of a car :rolleyes: duh that's what the car's flashers are for :shakehead:

It makes sense to me. Let's say you're on the side of the road due to a dead battery. Magnetically attach one of the pucks to the back of your car, and you kill two birds with one stone--mark your dead car with a flasher and elevate the light so it can be seen even with a rise in the road. If you have multiple pucks, then place one on the ground for advanced warning to approaching vehicles. If your flashers do work, then place one or more on the ground to increase visibility or for advanced warning above what the flashers are providing.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
lol... Bill is this a note to yourself? OR a note to us that we should PM the OP?

:confused:

Just call me confused :)

Poppy

Poppy, sorry you can get confused. My post was a shortened version of PM sent to OP re direction of this thread. Not perfect grammar, I know. Now back to the topic.

Bill

mhpreston

Enlightened
Poppy - I ended up (almost by accident) getting a set of directional LED chevrons on a black plastic background. Not perfect, but better than anything else I could find. I'll try a post a link or photo.

mhpreston

Enlightened
Just caught up with the PM and other comments. I am delighted this thread still has legs and am happy to see all branches, so don't worry about that! My interest is in flares and torches - whatever we EDC in our cars! It's been v interesting for me!

mhpreston

Enlightened
jyqute3e.jpg
. Hope this pic post works. Haven't used it in anger yet, but managed to compare it against wands, lit cones and the LED flares I posted about some time ago. Didn't like any of the alternatives I tried and Poppy's sage advice about visibility certainly resonated with me. Anyone else use this device?

booky

Newly Enlightened
In my car I leave a Sipik SK68. I've had my car broken into a couple times, so if I were to lose this light it wouldn't hurt my pockets so much.

Poppy

Flashaholic
jyqute3e.jpg
. Hope this pic post works. Haven't used it in anger yet, but managed to compare it against wands, lit cones and the LED flares I posted about some time ago. Didn't like any of the alternatives I tried and Poppy's sage advice about visibility certainly resonated with me. Anyone else use this device?

What are its dimensions? and how do you mount it?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is an older thread but good subject. (I didn't bother reading 256 posts). I will say that out of all my lights, the car light is the one that can sit the longest without getting used and also when it does, it can get bumped around, loaned out or even lost. So I never wanted too expensive of a light in there but still a decent one.

Even though I like lithium ion rechargeables (like the 18650), I have a 2x AA light that isn't too expensive but also has the strobe feature. I put Energizer L91 lithium ion primaries in it with some spares. This way I don't worry about leaking acid and I have a battery with a long shelf life and cold temperature operation.

I don't have many 2AA lights but I'm using an iTP SA2 in my vehicle. I found this light not to have a problem on low mode with the slightly higher voltage (new) L91's. I leave it in the holster. That way it doesn't get scratched up in the glove box or door panel.

Last edited:

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
I had a dream last night where I needed to use my car EDC and it failed me. The battery in the light was dead, even though it was brand new.

Latest posts