Where did all the oldtimers go.

roguesw

Enlightened
:eek: i would love to hear how much the old timers have invested into silly flashlights including batteries, accessories ,parts etc. lovecpf maybe a good down payment on a house or at least enough to buy a brand new car

Actually, things could be done fairly cheap a few years back. We never heard of flashlights costing 4 digits.

The cost of CR123's have risen. I remember buying them back in 2004 for less than $1 each incl shipping from battery station for a pack of 50.

The LED drive current in those days were low, when the McLux line came out, they were using Luxeon bat wings and Luxeon 1s and Luxeon 3s, drive currents were 350mA. So a single CR123 lasted a long time. Now, we are in full X Amp territory, run times are way lower.

For example, McGizmos McLux light. You could pick up a turn key unit from the sandwich shop for under around $100 and build an identical unit to the one that was offered by Don.
You cant pick up a turnkey unit these days and build your own Lunasol or PD.

As flashlights move on up in quality and materials (I am not complaining, I am enjoying the benefits) price is rising, but I am sure it will plateau.

Starlight

Enlightened
I guess I have to consider myself an old timer. I met DavidW and a bunch of other old timers at the CPF get together we had in Orlando, FL in Febuary of 2003. It was held there because the Shot Show was going on at the same time. I had been a member for about 9 months then, but had started lurking back in 2001. I had some pictures from the get together, but sadly, I can't find them now. Oh well, if that's the only thing I can't find now, I will be happy.

Last edited:

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, the old days:

Black-n-Gold.jpg

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, the memories!

In regards to the cost of CR123 batteries, anyone remember the days when one of the best/better deals on batteries involved ordering the SureFire Hurricane?!? And some of the best prices on SureFire lights could be found at Arizona Gun Runners?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Man, Beretta, quit doing that!! Now I have McLux cravings all over again... :crazy:

I joined a little after these were first made. By the time I built enough courage to decide I wanted to build one, the parts were no longer available. Anybody got a spare? :poke:

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the trip down memory lane, is that the black widow with Red LED
and a golden dragon with 5W led?

The upper one is/was a spare from the Black Widow builds with a white Luxeon of some sort, and was one of three black HA McLux bodies I had. I had two of those heads, and a full light. I'm pretty sure Darell built it. I still have a black HA 2-cell McLux body/tail with a really sweet McLux PR on it. It sits in my locked SF Display where it's not accessible to "little" hands.

The gold one is #2 of 2, and I don't recall it actually having a name other than "the gold one with the engraved clip". It has a bead-blasted reflector and was one of Don's best "perfect flood" lights (Luxeon Low-Dome emitter, IIRC - certainly not a Lux V). It just lacked the intensity of the newer lights. The light is a combination of bead-blasted and bare Al coated with the almost unmistakable gold TiNitride and a Ti pocket clip with an oceanic scene that was laser-engraved into the clip and then lightly TiN coated. It's a true work of art. I miss having it, but it very rarely left its little Pelican case when I did.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, Beretta, quit doing that!! Now I have McLux cravings all over again... :crazy:

I joined a little after these were first made. By the time I built enough courage to decide I wanted to build one, the parts were no longer available. Anybody got a spare? :poke:

Sorry. The McLux and the Sandwich Shoppe were the two things that really catapulted my interest the most.

I've got the only (must verify tomorrow) 2-Cell Black HA McLux tail that currently has a black HA McLux PR head on it with some nutty-screamin' LuxV in it, as well as a spare black HA PR-T with a BB666/VYOT, and an un-built head just like the one from the Black Widow builds. I had meant to build that head as well as a couple/few more for about four years now, but just haven't taken the time. I wonder if my AA is even still good? :p

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
For example, McGizmos McLux light. You could pick up a turn key unit from the sandwich shop for under around $100 and build an identical unit to the one that was offered by Don.

I remember those days like it was only last month. I don't know about turn key though, more like kits for $100 but you still had to provide your own Luxeon & driver. I believe TKs were $130-$140. Remember when we used to by Luxeon stars for $20? I still have a bunch left over. :ohgeez:

Mclux bodies were $45-$49 & PR/PR-T heads were $40-$45 depending on which one you got. I remember the standard Mclux head kits at $49. I should know, I was the one buying them all. I still have every single one of them to this day along with a set of 1x123, 2x123, & 3x123 blackies that took me a while to find.

Img_5031.jpg

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I've got the only (must verify tomorrow) 2-Cell Black HA McLux tail that currently has a black HA McLux PR head on it with some nutty-screamin' LuxV in it, as well as a spare black HA PR-T with a BB666/VYOT, and an un-built head just like the one from the Black Widow builds. I had meant to build that head as well as a couple/few more for about four years now, but just haven't taken the time. I wonder if my AA is even still good? :p

I've got a 2x123 blackie too.....

Img_3016.jpg

But I cheated. :nana: I sent Scott (TB) a 3x123 body & had it chopped. I'm in the same boat as you. I have still have 6-8 various PR & PR-T heads that are still virgins & unbuilt.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Back in the old days things were a little different. You could get free shipping to anywhere in the world. SureFire sent all new members a brand new 6P within a week after joining. Everyone could spell Darell's name and we all did pretty much what he said so it worked out well. DavidW. was a little bit flirty. Sasha had a huge crush on me.

The board was much smaller and intimate. If you liked somebody's post you sent 'em a six pack of beer. If you acted up Empath would actually come to your house and give you a proper moderating for a good 20 to 30 minutes. And nobody fibbed about anything.

:eek: :faint: :sssh:

Well as I have posted either in this thread or some other, when I first joined, there were far more incandescent flashlight posts then LED.

:mecry: Hence my idea for St. Incands Day and giving out a few shirts for memories.

roguesw

Enlightened
I remember those days like it was only last month. I don't know about turn key though, more like kits for $100 but you still had to provide your own Luxeon & driver. I believe TKs were $130-$140. Remember when we used to by Luxeon stars for $20? I still have a bunch left over. :ohgeez:

Mclux bodies were $45-$49 & PR/PR-T heads were $40-$45 depending on which one you got. I remember the standard Mclux head kits at $49. I should know, I was the one buying them all. I still have every single one of them to this day along with a set of 1x123, 2x123, & 3x123 blackies that took me a while to find.

Yes Will, I remember those days. Luxeon stars were all the rage, first with the batwings then the Lux III burst onto the scene where you could drive it at 700 mAh. The Sandwich shoppe were the only place where you could get everything from drivers to leds to bodys.
I think the shoppe still have some McLux heads available.
I built a 2x123 Mclux, it was my first build, and it is still going to this day. Its been given to a friend of my who still uses it to this day.

The mclux head didnt have much options, NX01 and NX05 optics, then Don.s reflector, and bead blasted vers. The reflectors really came into their own during the Aleph era.

I think the thread on McGizmos forum really sums it all, you can really see the evolution of flashlights in those threads.

Do you remember when color 5W were popular, I remember people building Cyan and royal blue. You dont see much of those colors being offered these days anymore.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my first real live contacts here was calling Peter Gransee and finding all about the amazingly innovative Arc LS. It had a Lux I (Q bin!) and be careful, it could get quite warm if left on face down. How things have changed and evolved! Occasional drama, too.

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
yeooooo... a bunch of old timers dropping... this is the most I've posted for the last few years.

speaking of old luxeons... used to be an obsession trying to obtain the finest bins. still got a large bubble package full of formerly rare luxeons. got at least $1,500+ tied up in that bag ... overnight they dropped next to nothing. after that my enthusiasm for modding went way down...

here's one of my all time fav's.... regretted selling it many times

one of Don's early mods... L1 pr-t 917

l1 pr-t 917.JPG

Last edited:

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeooooo... a bunch of old timers dropping... this is the most I've posted for the last few years.

speaking of old luxeons... used to be an obsession trying to obtain the finest bins. still got a large bubble package full of formerly rare luxeons. got at least $1,500+ tied up in that bag ... overnight they dropped next to nothing. after that my enthusiasm for modding went way down...

I narrowly dodged that bullet (knock wood) by either building most all of mine out or selling/trading/giving them away. I still have some "screamers" left, but I'm sure you've got the cat's pajamas there.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my first real live contacts here was calling Peter Gransee and finding all about the amazingly innovative Arc LS. It had a Lux I (Q bin!) and be careful, it could get quite warm if left on face down. How things have changed and evolved! Occasional drama, too.

Gransee was the one that got me to join CPF. The Arc LS was one of my first addictions, back when the batwing emitters were the brightest LED's around. I spent countless hours and dollars buying lights and modding them, and destroying a bunch in the process. Man that was fun. Surefires, Arcs, none were safe from my soldering iron. LED's have matured to the point that only marginal gains can be had by modding. The market has changed and become so commoditized and somewhat boring. I find it hard to get excited when I see new lights these days.