Where did all the oldtimers go.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

Right-click over your user and choose "Inspect Element"
Above the blue highlighted line find - href=member.php? your member number appears after the ?

It is just as easy to view your profile and look at the URL. The number is to the left of your name near the end.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Right-click over your user and choose "Inspect Element"
Above the blue highlighted line find - href=member.php? your member number appears after the ?

Thanks for the tip.... Oh, I've got a good one.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I'm an oldtimer yet. Maybe in another 9 years.
As for me, I hang out on Reddit /r/flashlights more often than I browse here nowadays. But I still come back "home" every once in awhile to seek more juicy lumens gossip.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
"EH... OLD TIMER?... WHATDIDYASAY? SPEAK UP YA WHIPPERSNAPPERS!"
DAMN KIDS ALWAYS MUMBLING TODAY

Blackbird13

Enlightened
I was posting a few months back and was thinking the same thing, especially on the threads that got me started, the surefire still is my favorite. I used to get such a rush just seeing some of the reare lights that some of y'all have . And the rush of the thought that I may some day have some rare lights myself. I've acquired a couple and need to add to the threads. It was a real bummer so many good pics were snatched away from us. Like a sneaky thief PB took the pics.

MY

Enlightened
I use to be a regular contributor a decade ago but now go on CPF only sporadically. My light collection would now be more appropriate in a museum. I still have some of the very first production runs of many foundational lights that defined CPF history. I joined in 2000 and initially was member 78 but after a reorganization, my number changed to 133. As one of the very early members in a small forum, everybody got to know each other. I have very fond memories of the forum in its formative years where flashlights were just the vehicle used in developing social bonds on the new interweb! Regards.

nbp

Flashaholic
Welcome back! It's fun seeing usernames posting that I don't remember seeing before. :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I use to be a regular contributor a decade ago but now go on CPF only sporadically. My light collection would now be more appropriate in a museum. I still have some of the very first production runs of many foundational lights that defined CPF history.

Or very appropriate in a thread in the collectors section.

Please.... pretty please with sugar on top. :twothumbs :thumbsup: :twothumbs :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :twothumbs

Last edited:

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps instead of referring to them as Old-timers, we should convey a moniker such as Well Seasoned Alumni. Yeah! That's the ticket.

I've never been able to see my number. Hovered my curser over my username to no avail. :shakehead Just wondering if it's something cool, 47777's

~ Chance

105976. Sorry for the tiny picture.

Chauncey.jpg

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use to be a regular contributor a decade ago but now go on CPF only sporadically. My light collection would now be more appropriate in a museum. I still have some of the very first production runs of many foundational lights that defined CPF history. I joined in 2000 and initially was member 78 but after a reorganization, my number changed to 133. As one of the very early members in a small forum, everybody got to know each other. I have very fond memories of the forum in its formative years where flashlights were just the vehicle used in developing social bonds on the new interweb! Regards.

Ah the good old days. But yeah, they really were. I met a number of local people, people helped others move, and once the board collected and sent someone enough money to cover some emergency needs.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've been to a few flashaholic get-togethers in the earlier years. LED flashlights were still brand new and very much in the 'wow' phase of their development, and a smattering of handheld HID lights also kept things interesting. Lately I've noticed that LED flashlights have hit something of a plateau compared to their early days; maybe we're just getting close to their efficiency limits. Add to that the ubiquity of decent flashlights in the retail space now.

So it feels like we're past the early, heady "moon landing" days of flashlight development.

I hope I'm wrong. :)

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that for me, personally, I've hit a plateau because the lights do all I need and then some. The most favorite light I've ever owned is the BLF Q8 which has demonstrated the capability to do everything I have been able to ask from it. It has been great for around the house stuff all the way to some mild Search and Rescue for a lost dog in severe weather.

Now I'm more into aesthetics. For example I just wrote up a "real world review" on the Sigma light where there is absolutely nothing, NOTHING, special about the performance or behavior of the light, but the design is very very cool.