Why did you sell your HDS light(s) and do you regret it?

nbp

Flashaholic
Yes, now that I think of it! I believe a Matterhorn if I recall, many years ago. Had three 5mm emitters, AAA. Decently bright and white tint, for the day. SS though, so very heavy for its size.

Dirty wage guy

Enlightened
The My Lights link in my sigline is usually always pretty well up to date if you want to checkout the current lineup. :)

Duh, I should have seen that.. You definitely kept some gems! Your stable is full of straight up thoroughbreds.
Thank you Sir!

nbp

Flashaholic
It's all good. I use the app a lot so I miss most signature lines too.

Thanks, I've got a couple neat things I think. Like I said, I wish I coulda kept them all, many cool items I was able to try and pass on. After a dozen years here, you find some things that really speak to you and you hang on to them. When I started here and other college kids were spending their money on getting drunk and buying designer jeans I was buying HDSs and Surefires. Lol

I think I've had maybe 11 HDSs as I recall. In addition to the four I have now, I remember a few. The Ti Clicky went for funds. Two Twisties were sold for funds sadly since they just didn't get enough use, though I miss them a bit for the sheer novelty of them and the innovative UI. Two more SSC P4 Clickies, one cool, one Hi CRI, ended up in Henry's scrap heap as they went ape on me so they went home and were replaced with a GDP 140 and an XPG 200 I think. Then those two were sold for newer ones with neater emitters which are probably my current ones. Haha

Last edited:

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have sold several over the years, always lights that were not getting used anymore because newer HDSs with different emitters had replaced them. The two lights that get all the use right now are a 170N and a 200 High CRI, both Rotaries. The only light I wish I had not sold is a 140 Clicky, my very first HDS.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 170N is my be all and end all, I haven't had the privilege of trying a Nichia SW45 R9080 yet, that'll be a step up - or not. I have 5 emitters in my drawer shouting to be used.
I sold an XP-L 325 Exec and a 250 Tactical as I've gone all Nichia for a bit.
P

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, guys. I was just toying with the idea of selling one of mine. After all, I don't really need four. Now I think I'll keep it, since all of them are irreplaceable, discontinued high CRI runs. (Except the high noon, those haven't gone extinct quite yet.)

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting thought of not bright enough to justify the cost.

The way i look at it is that even though they are only 2-300 lumens, they keep up with 600 lumen lights and replace many lights into one. So to me, the price is easily justified. Plus i don't believe less expensive lights are of the same caliber. I respect your opinion though.

Same could be said about things like knives. They all cut, but when you have something like a Chris Reeves compared to a spyderco, benchmade, etc; you quickly learn that the crk is worth the premium.

Just my opinion and I was raised in a certain way which has cost me lots of money throughout my life. Sometimes I wish I learned to just get what will get me what i need at the lower prices, but that's just not how my brain is wired

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was very tempted to get an HDS and almost bought one a few times over the past 6 years. But something always lured me away. Then, the price jump happened and put them further out of reach. They are great quality lights and over-built, with Henry still there to help out folks with issues. But frankly, I echo what jon_slider said about advantages. After getting a Jetbeam RRT-01, I really don't have any compelling reason to buy an HDS flashlight. I still appreciate them for their quality and the history. About the only thing close to it that I have is a NovaTac 120P.

So as far as regrets are concerned, I wished that I had bought an HDS some years ago... just to have that experience of owning one. Because NOW, I could resell it and actually make a profit! :candle:

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was very tempted to get an HDS and almost bought one a few times over the past 6 years. But something always lured me away...But frankly, I echo what jon_slider said about advantages...

All opinions are welcome here. Jon is among the more cerebral CPF'ers, and that's saying a lot considering the collective nerd power on this forum. I would only add that the HDS and the Jetbeam are very different lights. It still might be worth seeing what HDS is all about. You could easily resell the light if you don't like it. Just one guy's opinion.

Cheers

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
After getting a Jetbeam RRT-01, I really don't have any compelling reason to buy an HDS flashlight. I still appreciate them for their quality and the history. About the only thing close to it that I have is a NovaTac 120P.
! :candle:

See, I carried a Jetbeam RRT-0 which is the older rotary with a tail clicky just a smidge longer than the -01. Did that for 10 years same light. A great unit. Backup still brand new one 10 years old in my bug out bag. My user Pic at the bottom. I am converting from my RRT units to HDS. Going the other direction than you are. I admire the quality workmanship, design, ruggedness. Granted my 10 year old RRT light endured many concrete drops, water plunges and banging around, but I was just ready to change things up. Not right or wrong, and I sorta consider it like this: I bought few lights the past 10 years, So I saved a fair amount the past decade. Back into it full on now.

The RRT was a great light, but I am more than pleased with my changeover. I may sell an HDS in the future, if they ever come out with a higher lumen than the current 335nlt. My stable is getting full. Lol.

p3291983173-5.jpg

Last edited:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive bought and sold a couple over the years. The one I regret selling the most is a 100 Clicky modded by TechnoCowboy with a no longer available Osram 95 CRI 4K EMITTER. I still have one of those bare emitters on hand.:D

Lithium466

Enlightened
That's funny, I have a Novatac modded with that very emitter (well, a Oslon SSL-80 95 CRI 4K). I'll have to take it out and see how it compares with modern high CRI emitters!

jarobi

Enlightened
I had a Basic 42 XR and a U60 XRGT. Loved 'em, but needed more punch for daily use and I turned into a tint snob. Milky SeoulMated the 42 with a P4 UBin. That did the trick, but a friend wanted it so badly I sold it, with the intent to buy a Ra twisty. Sold the U60 later on when Milky retired from modding.
Lo and behold, the 42 died and is on its way back to me. In true flashaholic fashion, I scored a working 42XR on eBay, SeoulMated with a high CRI SSC P4 S2 bin.

Now regret selling the U60. The S2 P4 would be great in it.